blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:18:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2928 2929 2930 2931 [2932] 2933 2934 2935 2936 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6333028 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43965 on: January 21, 2016, 02:12:15 PM »

We spend quite enough time connected to some form of media device. You don't want to be distracted from your walk, you want to be immersed in it.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43966 on: January 21, 2016, 02:13:53 PM »

gases liquify at certain temperatures

Try to remember that while you're walking and you will save a fortune on dry cleaning.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43967 on: January 21, 2016, 02:26:30 PM »

We spend quite enough time connected to some form of media device. You don't want to be distracted from your walk, you want to be immersed in it.

Phew, just back.

Appreciated Tal's advice, obv, but for me, the walk is a nice time for clear thinking.

I go past Moseley Rowing Club, the base for so many Olympians. & then Molesey Cricket Club. You may recall I took you there once & you chatted with a paddly sort.

The cricket ground is idyllic, & one good hoik would see the ball splash pleasingly into the adjacent Thames.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43968 on: January 21, 2016, 02:31:40 PM »

Phew, just back.

Appreciated Tal's advice, obv, but for me, the walk is a nice time for clear thinking.

I go past Moseley Rowing Club, the base for so many Olympians. & then Molesey Cricket Club. You may recall I took you there once & you chatted with a paddly sort.

The cricket ground is idyllic, & one good hoik would see the ball splash pleasingly into the adjacent Thames.

Yes I remember it well, it's a beautiful walk, it has a bit of everything.

I love river or coastal walks. You could take a photograph of that river from exactly the same spot every day for a year and no two would be the same.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43969 on: January 21, 2016, 02:33:16 PM »

Tell me, do you still walk in those ubiquitous tan brogues that are entirely unsuitable for the purpose?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43970 on: January 21, 2016, 02:42:46 PM »

Tell me, do you still walk in those ubiquitous tan brogues that are entirely unsuitable for the purpose?

Yes.

They are not "brogues" though, they are proper walking things, I got them in M & S or Littlewoods.

I really do need to buy a new pair though, I've had them years. New pair of laces & they'll be just fine.

The soles are fine, or as my Grandad used to say, "plenty of wear in 'em yet".  

Anyway, must go, the Gym awaits.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 02:44:27 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43971 on: January 21, 2016, 03:04:45 PM »

Yes.

They are not "brogues" though, they are proper walking things, I got them in M & S or Littlewoods.

I really do need to buy a new pair though, I've had them years. New pair of laces & they'll be just fine.

The soles are fine, or as my Grandad used to say, "plenty of wear in 'em yet".  

Anyway, must go, the Gym awaits.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#tbm=shop&q=cuban+heels+mens  Wink

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #43972 on: January 21, 2016, 05:24:02 PM »

If you walk alone, try downloading an audio book and listening to it while you perambulate. You may find you walk further than you realise.

Audio Book? I don't have Audio Book receiving equipment.   

Yes you do. Your phone will play them Smiley

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #43973 on: January 21, 2016, 07:10:44 PM »

gases liquify at certain temperatures

Try to remember that while you're walking and you will save a fortune on dry cleaning.

I chortled

sola virtus nobilitat
RedFox

View Profile
« Reply #43974 on: January 22, 2016, 11:20:57 PM »

If you walk alone, try downloading an audio book and listening to it while you perambulate. You may find you walk further than you realise.

Audio Book? I don't have Audio Book receiving equipment.

Luckily, my walk is in beautiful surroundings, all along the side of the Thames in one of it's most beautiful parts, with houseboats galore, geese, swans, mallards, water hen, coots, cormorants & all sorts. Saw a cormorant catch a fish yesterday. Not seen any herons though.

I play a little mental game, too, how many species of animals, birds & ducks I spot. 37 yesterday.

See a lot of elderly people walking their dogs, too. Elderly people are so cute, I always think. 

Going back to books, this is my current read. It's quite hard work, but truly astonishing how critical mass works the same in nature, chemicals, human interaction, even traffic jams, all of which have something called "transitional state".

As in, say, gases liquify at certain temperatures, water turns to steam or ice & vice versa, &, in these things, hot always migrates to cold, never the opposite. Just basics really, but most interesting.   

hmmmm elderly and dogs thinks that could be me  Smiley

hope you continue with your walks and along such a seeminlgy lovely place.

walking helps me enormously in my quest to gain fitness/lose weight

im lucky to benefit from alternating between fantastic beaches and fabulous countryside with such daily changes or observations to be seen

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #43975 on: January 23, 2016, 10:10:23 AM »

I popped in last night for a game and failed to find one.  I think I probably just started too late.  Did we get anywhere with thag talk of a bigger O8 MTT on Sky?  Traffic seems to be picking up well on the bigger site after slumping for a while.  The $27 nlo8 hyper got something like 250 runners and since changing the $109 MTT to $82, and allowing re-entries, it seems to run most nights and gets maybe 40 on average now.  They also run a $82 hyper at 10.30 and that seems to attract some right loons.   Paid $1500 for 1st last night.

They are running a turbo plo8 at 1.30 tomorrow afternoon as part of TCOOP.  Should attract a fair share of those loons and be right up your street.  It is too early for me, as I am in a kids party.   The hyper a week today is probably more my thing anyway.  

Edit.  Made a mistake it is nlo8 tomorrow.  I could give you some pointers.  Most are so terrible at it that you could crush without much help.  I used to worry about been quartered back in the day, but you have way more to worry about if a 2 comes on the river these days.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 10:18:54 AM by Doobs » Logged

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43976 on: January 23, 2016, 12:03:10 PM »

I just watched a drama call The Rack Pack and thought you would like it Tony

I saw Steve Davis talking about this show last week and how he got quite emotional as he watched it when it came to him how his success contributed to Alex Higgins' problems. It's s comedy drama about the rise and fall and rise and monumental fall of Higgins and what I loved about it is they recreated those iconic moments from is 1982 World Championship win really closely. That break in the semi final against Jimmy when he was barely on a ball for the first half of it and needed to pot them all to stay in the comp and then the emotion and calling his baby from the crowd in tears so he could hold her when celebrating his win in the final.

It doesn't hide away from his dark side either with the addictions and violence and touched upon how Higgins thought of snooker as a game and Hearn viewed it as a business. The resentment he felt when Hearn made money for a lot of players when the 'Peoples Champion' was skint and having his house repossessed because he couldn't control the drink and drugs to become a marketable sportsman.

It's proper tortured genius stuff  where it's easy to feel sorry for what both Higgins and Davis went through at that stage of their careers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p03bv0t5/the-rack-pack

I've not watched "The Rack Pack" yet Phil, but's next on the list, a list which gets ever longer.

I did watch the Alex Higgins documentary, though, which I had recorded on Sky +.

Wish I had not watched it now, & afterwards I deleted it.

The whole angle was too sad. And yes, it was a sad tale, but my Alex memories are happy ones, being enthralled by his play at the table, nit his antics off table.   

It was good to be reminded of his quite remarkably terrible cue action though, cueing across the ball, standing up on the shot, all that stuff. But my oh my, on his day he was extraordinary. If only Alex & Ronnie has been at their peak at the same time. Ronnie's ability to play equally well either handed still amazes. I really must make the effort to watch every gamer of his I can, until the door inevitably closes. Interesting that the 2 best players I ever saw both had head issues. Jimmy was pretty good, but his issues were just alcohol, his head was OK. 

In the docu, I thought Ray Reardon, amongst the old timers, came out best. Love to see guys with a pedigree like his who don't take themselves too seriously.

Another snippet which caught my eye was Alex's Funeral, as we saw Mr Hendry arrive in the traditional black suit, but carrying, of all things, a copy of the Racing Post.  Taking the Racing Post to a funeral initially seemed as disrespectful as it gets, but perhaps it was a nod to the fact that Alex loved a bet. Benefit of the doubt granted. 

The sobby stuff from Alex's 2 sisters left me rather cold, I'm afraid. Did we really expect them to be objective?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43977 on: January 23, 2016, 12:09:43 PM »

Never a bad time to watch that break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAO48WSZnRU

Just extraordinary.

Club players would get better position, but only a genius could pot himself out of trouble like that.

Reminds me of Botham's bowling, does everything wrong, but gets the lot.

What shot would you saw was the best?

The first green, which nudged the red off the cushion, that most delicate of cuts to pot that red later, or the deep screwed blue?

What a talent he had.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43978 on: January 23, 2016, 12:20:05 PM »

On the "to watch" list, thank you.

I was a great admirer of Ian Nairn, & he himself was a huge admirer of the great & unique Pevsner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolaus_Pevsner

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43979 on: January 23, 2016, 12:26:37 PM »

I was never a fan - or otherwise - of Motorhead, they just never hit my radar, but with Lemmy's recent passing, I took the opportunity to watch "Lemmy - The Movie" last night.

Well RIP Lemmy, of course, but I don't think I missed much by not following Motorhead down the years.

Their music left me cold - why is high deemed volume an attribute? - or his non-stop adolescent bigging up of his alcohol or drug intake.

As David Jacobs might say on Juke Box Jury, a "Miss" for me.     

Pages: 1 ... 2928 2929 2930 2931 [2932] 2933 2934 2935 2936 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: