blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:27:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3059 3060 3061 3062 [3063] 3064 3065 3066 3067 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6334856 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45930 on: June 27, 2016, 09:16:47 PM »

Along with so many others I thoroughly enjoy your reports Sir. Especially when they don't include the word busto.

Do you find writing the ongoing updates a help or a hindrance in your game?

That's SUCH an interesting question, on so many levels, so I've bumped it in case I forget, & will reply tomorrow.  

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45931 on: June 27, 2016, 09:33:37 PM »

A question for the O8 experts.

We are playing 25,000 or so at 400-800, blinds go up in 6 minutes.

There is a raise in front of us to 1,600.

We have......

What would you do in this spot?

Just wanted to draw a line under this one. The venerable nirvana was first to answer "call", having torn himself away from the fabulous blonde Brexit debate. Not too many forums could host such a great, civil & balanced debate without any bad blood or immature shite.

Anyway, the Aces hand.

It just struck me as very interesting, that in, say, PLO, we'd be hammering the pot button here, whereas in O8, we have to play this hand defensively, & sort of backwards.

The chap who min-raised was on the button. The Small Blind (I was in the Big) was defending wide, deep stacked, & very good, & the Button knew this, so deffo had a playable hand. Mostly - MOSTLY - they have some sort of good low - an A-2, A-3 sort of hand. I was acutely aware he almost certainly had an Ace, so my chances of setting up were slim. I played the hand in the knowledge that I'd snap give up on all low flop or board. 

The flop was Q-8-7. Quite good really, my equity increased as I had the Q, & the low has not (yet) hit. I planned to check call any bet, but it went check check.

The turn raised my eyebrows, as it paired the 7. (Q-8-7-7). This looked a good bluffing card, I can easily have a 7 dangler, so I bet it, about 40% of pot. He dwelled, & then called, reluctantly I thought. Now I'm 99% sure he has A-2 or similar, & just wants to get to see the river as cheap as possible. 

The river was even better - this time it paired the (Q-8-7-7-8). That looked a dream card from me. I win all 2 pair jobbies, there is no low, & unless he has an 8 or 7, it's game over.

I bet 30% of the pot here. I was not mad keen on betting, but I did not want him making a stab at it if I checked. I'd likely call if he did, but I'd not be loving life. It just seemed the cheapest way, a sort of blocker bet.

He folded quickly, so we can assume he had A-2 or similar, & we took a decent littler pot.

Feel free to dissect that as you see fit. Be nice though, right?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #45932 on: June 27, 2016, 09:56:17 PM »

My PLO knowledge, as you know :-) is extremely limited but I think that's played very well. Be interesting to see more expert views than mine

sola virtus nobilitat
Marky_Crash

View Profile
« Reply #45933 on: June 27, 2016, 10:04:59 PM »

We have......

Just wanted to draw a line under this one. The venerable nirvana was first to answer "call", having torn himself away from the fabulous blonde Brexit debate. Not too many forums could host such a great, civil & balanced debate without any bad blood or immature shite.

Anyway, the Aces hand.

It just struck me as very interesting, that in, say, PLO, we'd be hammering the pot button here, whereas in O8, we have to play this hand defensively, & sort of backwards.

The chap who min-raised was on the button. The Small Blind (I was in the Big) was defending wide, deep stacked, & very good, & the Button knew this, so deffo had a playable hand. Mostly - MOSTLY - they have some sort of good low - an A-2, A-3 sort of hand. I was acutely aware he almost certainly had an Ace, so my chances of setting up were slim. I played the hand in the knowledge that I'd snap give up on all low flop or board.  

The flop was Q-8-7. Quite good really, my equity increased as I had the Q, & the low has not (yet) hit. I planned to check call any bet, but it went check check.

The turn raised my eyebrows, as it paired the 7. (Q-8-7-7). This looked a good bluffing card, I can easily have a 7 dangler, so I bet it, about 40% of pot. He dwelled, & then called, reluctantly I thought. Now I'm 99% sure he has A-2 or similar, & just wants to get to see the river as cheap as possible.  

The river was even better - this time it paired the (Q-8-7-7-8). That looked a dream card from me. I win all 2 pair jobbies, there is no low, & unless he has an 8 or 7, it's game over.

I bet 30% of the pot here. I was not mad keen on betting, but I did not want him making a stab at it if I checked. I'd likely call if he did, but I'd not be loving life. It just seemed the cheapest way, a sort of blocker bet.

He folded quickly, so we can assume he had A-2 or similar, & we took a decent littler pot.

I generally really like the way you played it. You were OOP but used pot control, you placed opponent on a range and got a dialogue going through the betting and your read was spot on, WP!

Only slight differences in the way I would see the hand.

I think checking the flop is completely fine and I would do the same. If you lead and opponent has any big draws along with the low and throws the pot in your face you get blasted off the hand. Therefore I personally really like the check.

The turn bet again is good IMO, it makes opponent pay for any draws including low draws and his actions will give you a sense of where you are in the hand. I think this bit is key though... The only part I may play differently is the river. If opponent has a27x or a37x would we hear all about it with a reraise on the turn? Would he give any clues away by his actions even if he flat calls? You thought he called reluctantly so didn't have him on the 7 and liked the river. I think his range is filled with more missed draws and hands with no showdown value than 8's which is the only thing I would really be worried about. It is perfectly possible he has an 8 but more likely, as you thought, that you were actually ahead. I think in that spot I would be check/calling the river to let him try and blow you off the pot. Id probably sigh then check the river as if I was trying to blocker bet it on turn and missed my low and then snap call. I think with his air hands he kinda has to throw some chips at it on the river and might often make a very big bet to 'make it look convincing'.

All in all, very very well played IMO. Very tricky hand OOP and you kept good control on the pot and got value out of it too.

Best of luck in the PLO8 tourney tonight!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 10:16:50 PM by Marky_Crash » Logged
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #45934 on: June 27, 2016, 10:05:44 PM »

We have......

Anyway, the Aces hand.

What would you do if foe re-raised on river?

Good luck at Venetian, I am missing Vegas already Sad

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
Marky_Crash

View Profile
« Reply #45935 on: June 27, 2016, 10:14:50 PM »

We have......

Anyway, the Aces hand.

What would you do if foe re-raised on river?

Good luck at Venetian, I am missing Vegas already Sad

Good point and something I would be considering in opponent's shoes with XXXX. Another reason I would generally favour the check/snap call on the river.

Really tough hand to play OOP though and played excellently IMO, only point I might diverge is the river.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45936 on: June 28, 2016, 01:52:03 AM »

Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45937 on: June 28, 2016, 01:56:44 AM »

Gl Tikay. No night shift today so hopefully I'll have some ripping yarns aplenty to catch with over brekky.

Cymru am byth
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45938 on: June 28, 2016, 01:58:26 AM »

Don't recall ever seeing a tougher O8 starting table.

Welcome to the Table Of Death.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45939 on: June 28, 2016, 02:19:29 AM »

Gl Tikay. No night shift today so hopefully I'll have some ripping yarns aplenty to catch with over brekky.

Be nice if there were enough tales of derring do to last for 3 shredded wheat.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45940 on: June 28, 2016, 02:25:43 AM »

15,000 starting, 40 minute levels, with re-entry available until Level 7, and further re-entry via Day 1B.

Them boys been trying to bluff the fish. 16,500 after 20 minutes.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45941 on: June 28, 2016, 02:44:27 AM »

Level 1 complete, blinds now 75-150, we have 18,100 after a rather fortunate start.

1 player bust on our table already, straight to the cage to rebuy, rejoined the adjacent table, and has bust again. That's the thing with unlimited re-entries, people gamble like mad, though it's a double edged sword and can provide amazing value for Team One Bullet.

MereNovice
Gamesmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45942 on: June 28, 2016, 02:48:54 AM »

Good luck.

Reigning Blonde Fantasy Ashes and Super League Champions
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #45943 on: June 28, 2016, 03:10:33 AM »

Dust them off sharpish and you'll find me and Dean down at cashman field

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45944 on: June 28, 2016, 03:26:56 AM »

Dust them off sharpish and you'll find me and Dean down at cashman field

What a lovely night to be at Cashman Field. Don't forget to sing the song at the middle of the 7th.

For its one, two, three strikes and out
At the old ballllllll game

Pages: 1 ... 3059 3060 3061 3062 [3063] 3064 3065 3066 3067 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: