blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:41:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3358 3359 3360 3361 [3362] 3363 3364 3365 3366 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6321404 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50415 on: September 01, 2017, 09:22:45 AM »

Part of our little adventure was to visit Shanklin, Isle of Wight, which gave us the rare chance to ride on the famous Island Line, which runs from Ryde to Shanklin via Sandown.

They use ex London Transport rolling stock, specifically 1938 stock, manufactured by the wonderfully named Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Company.

As you can see, they are looking their age, but despite being a bit scruffy, & almost 80 years old, they function perfectly. This is the exact rolling stock I went to school in 62 years ago, so it was all very nostalgic for me.

The ride is extremely bumpy, mainly because the PW features timber railway sleepers, rather than the concrete versions we see on the Main Lines these days. It's jointed track, too, rather than CWR. And that, in turn, means, for the first time in decades, I could listen to that lovely clickety clack, clackety click, as the bogies passed over the joints.

Most enjoyable.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50416 on: September 01, 2017, 09:26:35 AM »

Shanklin, like much of the Isle of Wight, still seems to be in the 1950's, all very old-fashioned, sleepy & quaint. The beach was beautifully clean, too.

The only problem with Shanklin Beach is that it is at the foot of a cliff, so walking back up was pretty arduous. Thoughtfully, benches & resting places had been placed at frequent intervals, so I managed - just about - to walk back up. Was a close run thing, though, & I was puffing and blowing a treat.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50417 on: September 01, 2017, 09:32:56 AM »

One thing we were keen to do was enjoy some "seaside fish & chips", & eat them outside.

We did a bit of research, & discovered what appeared from Trip Advisor to be the best bet - Happy Haddock.

Oh my, it was just fantastic. Both the fish and the chips were perfect, really perfect, & despite me being a greedy sod & ordering "large" of both, I never left a morsel.

The weather was perfect, too, and we sat on a park bench, munching our fish & chips like a pair of geriatrics.  

The whole day went perfectly, the most enjoyable day since the HA, Vegas excepted, & it cheered me up no end.

Bloody lovely.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50418 on: September 01, 2017, 09:47:34 AM »

I hit the jackpot whilst walking this morning, spotting both a Cormorant and a Heron just a few yards apart. I can't begin to try & explain how happy it makes me to see such beautiful birds so close, & so near to London.

Both live on fish, so The Thames must be in pretty good nick these days.

Oddly, Cormorants, which are found right across the world, are also known, rather ungracefully, as "shags", but the Bird peeps can't seem to explain the distinction between the two.

Some years ago, I was doing a piece to camera with Anna Fowler up by the Tyne in Newcastle, & a Cormorant landed close by. When I asked Anna if she liked Shags, she went all silly.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:49:36 AM by tikay » Logged

Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50419 on: September 01, 2017, 10:33:49 AM »

Did you ask if she liked a rough shag? Would've been a thoroughly outrageous question for you to ask as I'm sure she was a non smoker.

Cymru am byth
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50420 on: September 01, 2017, 10:45:28 AM »

Skimmed it, realised it was quite good so had to go back and read it properly.

The older I get, the better I was.
hector62

Homo doctus is se semper divitias habet

View Profile
« Reply #50421 on: September 01, 2017, 11:27:16 AM »

Morning Mr T.

Whilst that is a very fine looking ship I prefer this one, HMS Hemes. My reason for prefering it is because I was christened on it. I thought that the ship was scrapped but my research today shows that it is still in operation as it got sold to the Indian navy.

Puristville, Arizona.  Population (1)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50422 on: September 01, 2017, 11:32:26 AM »

More deets needed obv.

The older I get, the better I was.
hector62

Homo doctus is se semper divitias habet

View Profile
« Reply #50423 on: September 01, 2017, 11:58:41 AM »

Nothing really interesting. My father was in the navy and in those days they did lots of christenings on ships of children born into naval families. At the time he was stationed in Portsmouth and chose HMS Hermes. I am told that I was 1 of about 30 to be christened that day.

Puristville, Arizona.  Population (1)
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #50424 on: September 01, 2017, 12:08:01 PM »

We visit Hunstanton an east coast resort
We've started going on a Tuesday or Wednesday night 8 weeks ago , as soon as Denise gets home n changed we leave by 540 pm
It's 52 miles virtually no traffic compared to a Saturday or Sunday when we used to go
The dog gets a walk ,we get fish n chips ,cods the favourite,another walk then leave at 830 pm ish with a hot chocolate each in the thermos cups
Lovely I'm hoping this will continue into the winter months too !
Plus there's added bonus of no o2 service that way so the phones stay at home !

This weekend it's happisburgh lighthouse open day Sunday then a mooch along the east coast towards Cromer with a night in a nice little pub Sunday 5 pm 2-3 pints a nice dinner n an early night
It's so relaxing by the sea !
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50425 on: September 01, 2017, 12:42:37 PM »

Nothing really interesting. My father was in the navy and in those days they did lots of christenings on ships of children born into naval families. At the time he was stationed in Portsmouth and chose HMS Hermes. I am told that I was 1 of about 30 to be christened that day.
Please tell me your middle name is Hermes?

Cymru am byth
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50426 on: September 02, 2017, 09:17:03 AM »

Here's a fascinating photo that was sent to me by K4Suited, as he had some difficulty uploading it. 

He will be along later to comment.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50427 on: September 02, 2017, 09:21:41 AM »

That's a great story, hector.

Does the Royal Navy still do that sort of thing?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50428 on: September 02, 2017, 09:24:22 AM »

Morning Mr T.

Whilst that is a very fine looking ship I prefer this one, HMS Hemes. My reason for prefering it is because I was christened on it. I thought that the ship was scrapped but my research today shows that it is still in operation as it got sold to the Indian navy.

Almost true - yes, she was sold to the Indian Navy, & served them well for over 30 years, but she was decommissioned earlier this year, her vital parts removed, & she is currently awaiting a decision on where & when she will be dismantled.

Rather sad, really, she was the Flagship of the Royal Navy during the momentous Falklands Campaign.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50429 on: September 02, 2017, 09:47:20 AM »

I'm not particularly for or against Will Kassouf generally, we exchange the usual pleasantries when we cross paths, & I don't dislike him, but I think I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than endure sharing a poker table with him for hours on end.

The jury remains out on whether he is "good for poker", but I'd bet good money that John Hesp has been better for poker in the UK than Mr Kassouf. There IS a "Hesp Effect", & it's positive. I'd need a lot of convincing that Will Kassouf has been genuinely "good for poker". 

Meanwhile, feel free to enjoy - or not - this 8 minute hand which should have taken 30 seconds.

Pages: 1 ... 3358 3359 3360 3361 [3362] 3363 3364 3365 3366 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: