blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:11:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3549 3550 3551 3552 [3553] 3554 3555 3556 3557 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6334021 times)
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53280 on: October 28, 2018, 07:37:20 AM »

This diary used to be good but I think it has tailed off and become a hassle for you to do!

I feel a need to explain that comment by Magic817, who is a bit of a shortarse, but a really good friend & a wingman to me Next Door.

UKOPS is taking place, started yesterday & runs for 10 days, and is very important for The Business, so I do a little write up every day. To try to lighten it up &, arguably, make it more readable than just a string of poker-related names, numbers & results, I mix it up with some general (non-poker) news & comment.  

Today's missive was north of 2,000 words long, contained 20 or more photos, I started it at 0600 sharp & it took me until 1pm to finish. And I was up past midnight last night monitoring the results as they happened. None of which I mind at all, in fact I enjoy doing it.

I described it myself in self-deprecating but entirely fair terms as splurge & waffle, & amongst the feedback - & all feedback is welcome - was included one Gentleman or Lady who wrote.....

I enjoyed this read but you tailed off and made it seem like it was a hassle for you to do and a hassle for me to read. At one point you said it was splurge - I am not familiar with this expression but I have assumed it is an excretion of some kind.

I'm still trying to decide if it was intended as a compliment or an insult. I fear the worst but hope for the best.

The process of ageing continues to take it's inevitable toll.

I do hope that was not too much hassle for you to read......

Highlighted bit immediately made me think of this:

"Yes, well I'm a slow reader myself..."

Keep up the good work, Tikay. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Ha, now THAT is splurge and waffle of the highest quality.

Does Robbie Coltrane still do acting stuff? I rather enjoyed his work.

Did you ever watch Cracker? That was a hell of a show

BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #53281 on: October 28, 2018, 12:09:59 PM »

This diary used to be good but I think it has tailed off and become a hassle for you to do!

I feel a need to explain that comment by Magic817, who is a bit of a shortarse, but a really good friend & a wingman to me Next Door.

UKOPS is taking place, started yesterday & runs for 10 days, and is very important for The Business, so I do a little write up every day. To try to lighten it up &, arguably, make it more readable than just a string of poker-related names, numbers & results, I mix it up with some general (non-poker) news & comment.  

Today's missive was north of 2,000 words long, contained 20 or more photos, I started it at 0600 sharp & it took me until 1pm to finish. And I was up past midnight last night monitoring the results as they happened. None of which I mind at all, in fact I enjoy doing it.

I described it myself in self-deprecating but entirely fair terms as splurge & waffle, & amongst the feedback - & all feedback is welcome - was included one Gentleman or Lady who wrote.....

I enjoyed this read but you tailed off and made it seem like it was a hassle for you to do and a hassle for me to read. At one point you said it was splurge - I am not familiar with this expression but I have assumed it is an excretion of some kind.

I'm still trying to decide if it was intended as a compliment or an insult. I fear the worst but hope for the best.

Piffle.

You are still the most interesting poster on here. Look forward to every post you make, and we all know I don't do arse licking, so this is a genuine comment. Varied and well written.

Mantis/Tal(for educational purposes) and Doobs, when he isnt telling us what a great punter he is and instead spilling the beans on his thoughts, are all close up.

At the other end of the scale is the top bum licker on here, my old mucker Marky who loves a good orifice lick, and his monoword posts are crap. Grin

Woodsey posts make me laugh and shake my head at the same time, and I think I would enjoy a beer with him, but I doubt I would get a word in.. Also like the hydgrdftrrrr blokes posting style  too.

Keep up the good work Tikay.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #53282 on: October 30, 2018, 10:42:11 AM »

Piffle.

You are still the most interesting poster on here. Look forward to every post you make, and we all know I don't do arse licking, so this is a genuine comment. Varied and well written.

Mantis/Tal(for educational purposes) and Doobs, when he isnt telling us what a great punter he is and instead spilling the beans on his thoughts, are all close up.

At the other end of the scale is the top bum licker on here, my old mucker Marky who loves a good orifice lick, and his monoword posts are crap. Grin

Woodsey posts make me laugh and shake my head at the same time, and I think I would enjoy a beer with him, but I doubt I would get a word in.. Also like the hydgrdftrrrr blokes posting style  too.

Certainly agree that Tikay’s writing is always a thoroughly enjoyable read.

Mantis for education :-), that’ll need some explanation. What do you think he is teaching you (or anyone else)?
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #53283 on: October 30, 2018, 11:21:11 AM »

Piffle.

Certainly agree that Tikay’s writing is always a thoroughly enjoyable read.

Mantis for education :-), that’ll need some explanation. What do you think he is teaching you (or anyone else)?

Ok, I think I misread. Tal for education and Mantis for a different reason, that makes more sense.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #53284 on: October 30, 2018, 11:27:07 PM »

Piffle.

Grin

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53285 on: October 31, 2018, 11:05:36 AM »

How 'PokerStars-y' is it over there these days Pops? Got many Stars folks in the Leeds office? Are they changing much up? Is there much rivarly between the sky folks and the stars folks aka:

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53286 on: November 08, 2018, 08:08:50 AM »

Morning Tony.

I saw this story and thought you might be interested.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46133262

The older I get, the better I was.
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #53287 on: November 08, 2018, 09:43:28 AM »

Hi TK, At the request of my son I was dragged along to a talk by Dr Jordan Peterson last night. Very entertaining , very thoughtful and very measured in how he addressed the audience. For the last 30 minutes he did a Q&A session and the last question was what does he consider to be a good life and a good death. I couldnt possibly elaborate on his response but bloody hell it was so profound.

Wiki page if you haven't heard of him before https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Peterson

I've just started reading his second book '12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos'. It has got me hooked. Although a lot of what is in there is common sense the way he presents it is very compelling. He's a bit of a divisive character but I would gladly pay to hear him talk again.

Ah! The element of surprise
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53288 on: November 08, 2018, 12:05:17 PM »

Hi TK, At the request of my son I was dragged along to a talk by Dr Jordan Peterson last night. Very entertaining , very thoughtful and very measured in how he addressed the audience. For the last 30 minutes he did a Q&A session and the last question was what does he consider to be a good life and a good death. I couldnt possibly elaborate on his response but bloody hell it was so profound.

Wiki page if you haven't heard of him before https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Peterson

I've just started reading his second book '12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos'. It has got me hooked. Although a lot of what is in there is common sense the way he presents it is very compelling. He's a bit of a divisive character but I would gladly pay to hear him talk again.

I went to his talk at the start of the year and met him. He is very divisive but the people who like him, like him for the self help stuff and not his politics. I can honestly say his work has helped my life in massive ways - helped me cope with the death of my Father, massively helped me fix a massive financial problem my mother was facing and quite an odd one but helped me get better at fixing things around my house (he doesnt give financial/handyman advice, but helps with struggling through difficult things).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 12:07:21 PM by DaveShoelace » Logged
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #53289 on: November 08, 2018, 12:55:48 PM »

he speaks well, but there is sooo much hot air in his positions.

it's like if you go to one of his speeches and the sheer weight of the words tower over you, terrify you with their mass. and you're looking at this mass of words, this tower and you fear it. and you should bloody well fear it, because this tower of words is tyranical, its a hierachy of the most profound words you'll hear in your short life. and you struggle to understand the meaning, and it is a struggle because, you know, life is a struggle and its bloody hard to find meaning, and so it should be. but the meaining is there, at the top of this tower. its like the head of a snake, ok. and you wrestle with this snake and eventually you win and you get the meaning before the meaning, the head of this tyrannical word snake, gets you.

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53290 on: November 08, 2018, 12:59:38 PM »

he speaks well, but there is sooo much hot air in his positions.

it's like if you go to one of his speeches and the sheer weight of the words tower over you, terrify you with their mass. and you're looking at this mass of words, this tower and you fear it. and you should bloody well fear it, because this tower of words is tyranical, its a hierachy of the most profound words you'll hear in your short life. and you struggle to understand the meaning, and it is a struggle because, you know, life is a struggle and its bloody hard to find meaning, and so it should be. but the meaining is there, at the top of this tower. its like the head of a snake, ok. and you wrestle with this snake and eventually you win and you get the meaning before the meaning, the head of this tyrannical word snake, gets you.

That's pretty profound Teddy, how do I give you money? Smiley

Yeah he certainly isn't for everyone, my personal appreciation of his stuff is much more his clinical psychology work, not the archetypal religious stuff (which I still find interesting). His lecture series on personality, for example, I have watched twice they were so interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYYJlNbV1OM&list=PL22J3VaeABQApSdW8X71Ihe34eKN6XhCi
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #53291 on: November 08, 2018, 01:12:12 PM »

yeah i'm a fan.

and i agree he is motviated by helping people and his putting all his lectures out there is admirable. he's a wonderful educator.

but he is insufferable on a lot of topics. his first podcast with sam harris for example he just went down an intellectual black hole where he tied himself up in knots over the nature of truth.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53292 on: November 08, 2018, 01:22:40 PM »

but he is insufferable on a lot of topics. his first podcast with sam harris for example he just went down an intellectual black hole where he tied himself up in knots over the nature of truth.

Yeah I turned that off it was so bad, in fact I haven't really enjoyed anything he has done with Sam Harris despite being a big fan of Harris too. For some reason the whole truth and free will debate does absolutely nothing for me.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #53293 on: November 08, 2018, 04:10:40 PM »

Also class myself as a fan of sorts but watched the interview with feminist Helen Lewis and she comes across a lot better than him in many areas. She is eminently reasonable and amiable, which I think he normally is, and he's a bit overbearing and bristling for a fight. Interviews like the Cathy Newman one seem to have affected his demeanour and thought processes as he is way too defensive in the Lewis interview. Good and watchable interview though

sola virtus nobilitat
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53294 on: November 08, 2018, 04:27:13 PM »

Also class myself as a fan of sorts but watched the interview with feminist Helen Lewis and she comes across a lot better than him in many areas. She is eminently reasonable and amiable, which I think he normally is, and he's a bit overbearing and bristling for a fight. Interviews like the Cathy Newman one seem to have affected his demeanour and thought processes as he is way too defensive in the Lewis interview. Good and watchable interview though

Yes I thought Lewis was good too, she was basically what the Cathy Newman interview should have been and she did her research. To be fair to Peterson, he really has had about two years of media people trying to destroy his reputation, so its understandable he is a bit defensive. He was at times really good but also at times was pretty erratic/crankly (as great as I think he is, he is also like this on Twitter, he would probably do himself a favour deleting his account).
Pages: 1 ... 3549 3550 3551 3552 [3553] 3554 3555 3556 3557 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: