blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 04:17:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273384 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 1332 1333 1334 1335 [1336] 1337 1338 1339 1340 ... 3780 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6411084 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20025 on: December 14, 2010, 09:55:58 AM »

I like retronyms. kinda the opposite of neologisms

Another thing I'd never heard of. I feel so dumb some days, & wish I'd enjoyed a better education, or, more accurately, applied myself during my life instead of tossing it off in snooker halls & bookies shops.

It seems to be an American term, but once again, Wiki comes to the rescue. For all the mocking it gets (from "morans" I suspect) Wikipidea is a pretty handy resource, completely free, & ever-growing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_retronyms

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20026 on: December 14, 2010, 10:06:14 AM »

How do you manage without a ringtone?

Sigh Ralph, you KNOW what I mean!

"Musical" RingTone.

I assume you buy them at ToysRUs, or "EverythingforEffingChildren.com".

In mean, it SO irritates me. What on earth would grown-up want with a bloody musical ring tone?

My 'phone rings about 20 times per day, so imagine hearing 3 or 4 seconds of some shallow pop shit 20 times in a day? Now multiply that by everyone in the vicinity ALSO hearing it. Now Multiply THAT by everyone else's effing bloody stupid musical 5 seconds 20 times per day. I'm getting wound up just thinking about it.

The daily aurul assault we suffer gets worse & worse. What is the fascination with electronic buzzers & bings, bongs zings & zongs? Next time you watch or listen to a quiz Show, listen to the ridic buzzers & bells they use. Do they think we are all 6 bloody years old or something?

My "alarm-clock" on my phone has a variety of 30 different ones - but not one "traditional" bell-tone.

Fortunately, the Ring-Tone on my 'phone IS traditional, & fit for purpose. It rings. You know, like an effing 'phone is meant to. Ring ring.

Jeez, I'm wound up like a spring now.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 10:08:12 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #20027 on: December 14, 2010, 10:10:26 AM »

Office etiquette is so different, too. Everyone seems to have those ridic "ring tones" on their 'phones, (surely only children would enjoy such nonsense?) & it drives me a bit potty to hear them all going off. After xty years of telling peeps what they can & cannot do - if Facebook has been invented in "my day" & I caught a staffer messing about on it in working hours, I'd sack them like a dog on the bloody spot - but now I'm just a nothing, a water-carrier at the bottom of the food chain. So I just sit here quietly & get on with my work, saying nothing. All very perplexing, different, & deffo fun. What an adventure Sky has been for me.

This tale reminded me of the old chap in Shawshank Redemption who cannot cope with the outside world when he gets parole, when he's polite to customers in the supermarket where he gets a job, and the boss just tells him to basically forget that, and hurry up...

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20028 on: December 14, 2010, 10:25:44 AM »

Office etiquette is so different, too. Everyone seems to have those ridic "ring tones" on their 'phones, (surely only children would enjoy such nonsense?) & it drives me a bit potty to hear them all going off. After xty years of telling peeps what they can & cannot do - if Facebook has been invented in "my day" & I caught a staffer messing about on it in working hours, I'd sack them like a dog on the bloody spot - but now I'm just a nothing, a water-carrier at the bottom of the food chain. So I just sit here quietly & get on with my work, saying nothing. All very perplexing, different, & deffo fun. What an adventure Sky has been for me.

This tale reminded me of the old chap in Shawshank Redemption who cannot cope with the outside world when he gets parole, when he's polite to customers in the supermarket where he gets a job, and the boss just tells him to basically forget that, and hurry up...

Which ironically reminds me I need to reply to several PM's to/about you. Bear with me please, today is "catching up on PM's day".

Remind me to ask you a geeky football question, too, please.

TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #20029 on: December 14, 2010, 10:27:28 AM »

Which ironically reminds me I need to reply to several PM's to/about you. Bear with me please, today is "catching up on PM's day".

Remind me to ask you a geeky football question, too, please.

lol, no problem.  There is no mad rush from my side, won't have chance to look over things properly until I finish for Xmas.  Smiley

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #20030 on: December 14, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »

"Musical" RingTone.

In mean, it SO irritates me. What on earth would grown-up want with a bloody musical ring tone?

My 'phone rings about 20 times per day, so imagine hearing 3 or 4 seconds of some shallow pop shit 20 times in a day? Now multiply that by everyone in the vicinity ALSO hearing it. Now Multiply THAT by everyone else's effing bloody stupid musical 5 seconds 20 times per day. I'm getting wound up just thinking about it.

The daily aurul assault we suffer gets worse & worse. What is the fascination with electronic buzzers & bings, bongs zings & zongs? Next time you watch or listen to a quiz Show, listen to the ridic buzzers & bells they use. Do they think we are all 6 bloody years old or something?

My "alarm-clock" on my phone has a variety of 30 different ones - but not one "traditional" bell-tone.

Fortunately, the Ring-Tone on my 'phone IS traditional, & fit for purpose. It rings. You know, like an effing 'phone is meant to. Ring ring.

Tony, a "normal" ring-tone is fine in a house where it's the only phone.

These days everyone seems to have a mobile phone and if everyone was forced to conform to your totalitarian ring-tone mandate we would all be reaching for our phones every time one rang.

So how many people work in your new office and how many phones are there?

Now that would probably irritate you even more if that is possible.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #20031 on: December 14, 2010, 01:09:58 PM »

"Musical" RingTone.

The ring tone on my phone is "You're so Vain" by Carly Simon. My mrs thinks this is fit for purpose and tells me so like every blinking day. I think hers should be Rabbit Rabbit by Chas and Dave. Maybe you should go for Blondes have more fun by Rod Stewart?

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20032 on: December 14, 2010, 01:23:11 PM »

"Musical" RingTone.

These days everyone seems to have a mobile phone and if everyone was forced to conform to your totalitarian ring-tone mandate we would all be reaching for our phones every time one rang.

On this floor of my new Office? I guess there are about 150 to 200. Of which 97% are under 15, & 86% appear to be nubile females. I can't bear to look, in case I stare, or dribble.

They should all have their phones on "Silent Mode". Mine goes on silent mode simply by turning it face down. Brilliant.

Anyone without their phone on silent should be summarily dismissed. That's what I'd do, that'd sort 'em out.

I was in early this morning, just me, & it was bliss, totally silent. Then someone came in at about 0730 & turned on ALL the Tellies, to Sky Sports News.

On the otherwise splendid Heathrow Express First Class carriages, they have a "Quiet Coach". With a TV, tuned, to Sky News, perma-on, sound & all.

Does nobody enjoy silence any more? Does everyone enjoy other people's music & noise?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20033 on: December 14, 2010, 01:26:16 PM »

"Musical" RingTone.

I rather like that notion.  I bet it works in North Korea, too. I'm warming to the idea of totalitarianism, & a dictator.

YOU WILL MAKE NO NOISE OR WE WILL HAVE YOU SHOT

How good would that be?

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20034 on: December 14, 2010, 01:31:02 PM »

"Musical" RingTone.

I rather like that notion.  I bet it works in North Korea, too. I'm warming to the idea of totalitarianism, & a dictator.

How good would that be?

Stabbed would be more appropriate.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20035 on: December 14, 2010, 01:38:08 PM »

"Musical" RingTone.

How good would that be?

Stabbed would be more appropriate.

Yes, less noise. The noise of all those guns being fired would irritate.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #20036 on: December 14, 2010, 01:43:37 PM »

"Musical" RingTone.

How good would that be?

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20037 on: December 14, 2010, 02:10:02 PM »

Stsrbucks Coffee Shops are now dispensing "to-go" Coffee in Christmas Branded containers. Holly, & Father Christmas, & stuff, on it. Do they really think that will sell more coffee? Or impress me?

Fosse Park Shopping Centre in Leicester is bedecked by Xmas Decorations. Right, I'll go there & spend money I would otherwise have spent in Meadowhall, or the Luton Arndale, or wherever. Not.

The office here, & every other office here, has been vandalised by the appearance of Xmas trees & decorations eveywhere? Meaning WHAT?

That woman was in the Canteen - sorry - Staff Restaurant - again today, playing the sickeningly cheesy "White Christmas" on a Hirdy-Girdie. WTF?

Every Table in the Restaurant has Christmas Crackers on? Why?

Everyone I see repeats the same thing. "If I don't see you before, have a nice Christmas". Yes, yes. I think convention requires me to say the same thing back. I just smile wanly.

And tomorrow is the absolute nadir of 2010, THE worst day of the year by a very long way. The Staff Xmas Party. In Leeds, of all places. Leeds! All the Staff, Presenters, & Analysts are going up by train from Kings Cross. I've swerved the train & will drive the 250 miles each way, better to sneak out of the party the moment the meal ends, & before the bloody music starts.  I edged out of the room at about 9.30 the year before last, & 9pm last year. The Target is 8.45 this year. Fair to assume everyobne will be half-bladdered by then anyway.

Life's a bitch, then Christmas arrives.

rex008

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20038 on: December 14, 2010, 02:58:57 PM »

Stsrbucks Coffee Shops are now dispensing "to-go" Coffee in Christmas Branded containers. Holly, & Father Christmas, & stuff, on it. Do they really think that will sell more coffee? Or impress me?

Fosse Park Shopping Centre in Leicester is bedecked by Xmas Decorations. Right, I'll go there & spend money I would otherwise have spent in Meadowhall, or the Luton Arndale, or wherever. Not.

The office here, & every other office here, has been vandalised by the appearance of Xmas trees & decorations eveywhere? Meaning WHAT?

That woman was in the Canteen - sorry - Staff Restaurant - again today, playing the sickeningly cheesy "White Christmas" on a Hirdy-Girdie. WTF?

Everyone I see repeats the same thing. "If I don't see you before, have a nice Christmas". Yes, yes. I think convention requires me to say the same thing back. I just smile wanly.

And tomorrow is the absolute nadir of 2010, THE worst day of the year by a very long way. The Staff Xmas Party. In Leeds, of all places. Leeds! All the Staff, Presenters, & Analysts are going up by train from Kings Cross. I've swerved the train & will drive the 250 miles each way, better to sneak out of the party the moment the meal ends, & before the bloody music starts.  I edged out of the room at about 9.30 the year before last, & 9pm last year. The Target is 8.45 this year. Fair to assume everyobne will be half-bladdered by then anyway.

Bah, Humbug

fyp

Have a guess what my kid's school Christmas play was this year?

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
The secret to a happy life - "Never pass up a chance to have sex or appear on television." - Gore Vidal
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20039 on: December 14, 2010, 03:00:49 PM »

Bah, Humbug

fyp

Have a guess what my kid's school Christmas play was this year?

Peter Bloody Pan?

Pages: 1 ... 1332 1333 1334 1335 [1336] 1337 1338 1339 1340 ... 3780 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: