blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:44:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3427 3428 3429 3430 [3431] 3432 3433 3434 3435 ... 3778 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6295941 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #51450 on: April 18, 2018, 01:04:56 PM »

Did you see the Ant (of Ant & Dec) story? Fined £86,000. Wow, that's a serious drink driving fine.

I guess it's arguably a good thing to tie fines to earnings, it kind of makes some sort of sense. I hope he gets himself sorted out, even though he's not my cup of tea at all.

The real eye-opener though is that he had to declare his annual earnings to the Court, &, logically, I doubt he would overstate them. And he stated he earned £1,300,000 per year.

Just wow.

It's nothing compared to the Pep bloke who manages Manchester City - £15 milly per year I read somewhere - but even so, £1.3 milly for Ant? The boy did good. Real good. Now that's what I'd calling running above variance & Goal Ev or whatever the serious heads call it, but good luck to him.

Overall though, a sad tale.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #51451 on: April 18, 2018, 01:06:02 PM »

Hi Tony

Pretty sure you are not a fan of Colin Murray on the tv. I agree with you, however his at home podcasts are brilliant listening. Bobby George and Kris Akabusi the highlights for me.

Give it a try not like your usual interviews

Thanks John.

No, I'm not a Colin Murray fan, but I will try & listen to that. Not sure I've ever listened to any podcast, ever, don't even know where to buy one.

I don't have a rational excuse for disliking Colin, & I am not proud of myself for disliking anyone really. It might be his thick regional accent, I don't like regional accents on the wireless, & I can imagine, say, someone in Belfast or Liverpool despising a London accent, just as I dislike their accents on the radio. In real life, I enjoy them, on the wireless, not at all.   

Completely irrational really.

How is your health now John, getting slowly better?

Sorry to hear about Gill hope she finds something soon.

Not so bad up and down still but it is what it is. Here is the direct link to listen on a pc/lappie

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08pm9sl/episodes/downloads

Personally think the Akabusi episode is the best not what I expected at all, Bobby George might be a bit easier as a first listen mind.

Let me know what you think if you get time
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #51452 on: April 18, 2018, 01:11:52 PM »

Morning Pops,

You got any idea what % of SkyPoker users are playing on a phone/tablet compared to regular computers? I'm doing a feature on it soon and I figured Sky would have an interesting perspective given how browser based you folks are.

Hope all is well next door and beyond

Sorry I missed this Barry. I've been Diary AWOL for a bit for one reason or another.

Don't really want to quote %'s, but yes, the advent of phone/tablets for Online Gaming ("Mobile" as the trade refers to it) has had a colossal impact. When Sky Poker introduced their Mobile product, there was an instant upsurge, & soon a significant number of users were on Mobile.

In Sports Betting, of course, the effect was much more dramatic, & SB&G's startling success owes much to Mobile, which, to all intents & purposes, never existed 10 years ago.

Me? I play Online Poker almost every day of my life, but never on Mobile, it just does not feel right to me.

Life Next Door? Great fun. I was up I Leeds last week, days before the Grand National, & the place was like a static electricity factory. When I have occasion to visit the office, I always find time to go have a wander around the Sky Bet areas, it excites beyond belief, such a buzz.

The Grand National is a huge day of course, biggest day of the year in some ways, & above all else - forget profit or loss on the day, think wider - they aim for a stable platform. It's hard to imagine how many bets are placed, &, rather like the tide, money flows in by the million, then (mostly) flows out again hours later. It's a really weird cash flow profile unlike almost any other Industry.

A few weeks earlier, it was Cheltenham Week, another monster event for a Sports Betting operation. Very unlike the GN though. The GN is a single event at a given time, Cheltenham is 28 big events spread over 4 days.

We all get a list of what horses we want to win or lose, so that adds a bit of fun, too, especially when 2 or 3 favourites come in back to back & we see the run-ups (liabilities) escalating.

After both Cheltenham & Grand National, both of which were resoundingly successful, as you may have heard, all the Staff were invited to a party with a free bar. Nice touch for the Staff.

When I look back on life, I regret not being either a train driver or a bookie. Either would have done nicely tyvm.

Very impressed with how quickly SB paid out after the National  aftertiming aftertiming aftertiming - didn't fancy TigerRoll but SB pushed him out to 16/1 after he won the Virtual Grand National the night before, 15.0 on the machine so value was there to be had. Would have been even better if I hadn't done "a tikay" when my wife said she wanted to back him the next day, 12/1! No thanks I'll leave that..........."there you go love, have half of this"
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #51453 on: April 18, 2018, 01:16:08 PM »

On a sad personal note, Gill was made redundant 2 weeks ago, which has put a dampener on things, & saddened me more than I care to admit.

She's been at the same place 10 years or so, never missed a day through sickness or absence of any sort, works unpaid overtime regularly & generally been a good egg. Life's unfair sometimes.

It's not an immediate crisis, she's got 10 years redundancy & 12 weeks wages, so no immediate financial pressure. As it happens, today is her last day, so it's all a bit emosh right now.

Fingers crossed she gets fixed up soon. It might cause problems with our annual Vegas jaunt, too, but hopefully we can work round that.

Give Gill my sympathy, I'm currently in the middle of mine, after 17 1/2 years in the same job with 3 different companies....

Was given an approx figure to take voluntary, then offered 2/3's of it, so a bit of negotiating going on - got my eye on a bit of a niche job, but startup costs for going self employed contractor are over £20K - so the payout matters big.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #51454 on: April 18, 2018, 01:17:57 PM »

Morning Pops,

You got any idea what % of SkyPoker users are playing on a phone/tablet compared to regular computers? I'm doing a feature on it soon and I figured Sky would have an interesting perspective given how browser based you folks are.

Hope all is well next door and beyond

Sorry I missed this Barry. I've been Diary AWOL for a bit for one reason or another.

Don't really want to quote %'s, but yes, the advent of phone/tablets for Online Gaming ("Mobile" as the trade refers to it) has had a colossal impact. When Sky Poker introduced their Mobile product, there was an instant upsurge, & soon a significant number of users were on Mobile.

In Sports Betting, of course, the effect was much more dramatic, & SB&G's startling success owes much to Mobile, which, to all intents & purposes, never existed 10 years ago.

Me? I play Online Poker almost every day of my life, but never on Mobile, it just does not feel right to me.

Life Next Door? Great fun. I was up I Leeds last week, days before the Grand National, & the place was like a static electricity factory. When I have occasion to visit the office, I always find time to go have a wander around the Sky Bet areas, it excites beyond belief, such a buzz.

The Grand National is a huge day of course, biggest day of the year in some ways, & above all else - forget profit or loss on the day, think wider - they aim for a stable platform. It's hard to imagine how many bets are placed, &, rather like the tide, money flows in by the million, then (mostly) flows out again hours later. It's a really weird cash flow profile unlike almost any other Industry.

A few weeks earlier, it was Cheltenham Week, another monster event for a Sports Betting operation. Very unlike the GN though. The GN is a single event at a given time, Cheltenham is 28 big events spread over 4 days.

We all get a list of what horses we want to win or lose, so that adds a bit of fun, too, especially when 2 or 3 favourites come in back to back & we see the run-ups (liabilities) escalating.

After both Cheltenham & Grand National, both of which were resoundingly successful, as you may have heard, all the Staff were invited to a party with a free bar. Nice touch for the Staff.

When I look back on life, I regret not being either a train driver or a bookie. Either would have done nicely tyvm.

Very impressed with how quickly SB paid out after the National  aftertiming aftertiming aftertiming - didn't fancy TigerRoll but SB pushed him out to 16/1 after he won the Virtual Grand National the night before, 15.0 on the machine so value was there to be had. Would have been even better if I hadn't done "a tikay" when my wife said she wanted to back him the next day, 12/1! No thanks I'll leave that..........."there you go love, have half of this"

The physical process of making x00,000 payments to Customers in a 15 minute time-window is immensely complex, partly because it relies on several third parties, including the famously technically conservative Banks. People expect their returns instantly, & Twitter explodes if they have not been paid quickly. Then they withdraw it, deposit it again 15 minutes later, & the whole cycle repeats itself.

Gill told me yesterday she had bought herself something nice out of her Tiger Roll winnings which I ended up standing. I was kinda hoping she may have forgotten about that. And it reminded me that I was on the 2nd. At 33/1.

Move on, move on.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #51455 on: April 18, 2018, 01:19:59 PM »

On a sad personal note, Gill was made redundant 2 weeks ago, which has put a dampener on things, & saddened me more than I care to admit.

She's been at the same place 10 years or so, never missed a day through sickness or absence of any sort, works unpaid overtime regularly & generally been a good egg. Life's unfair sometimes.

It's not an immediate crisis, she's got 10 years redundancy & 12 weeks wages, so no immediate financial pressure. As it happens, today is her last day, so it's all a bit emosh right now.

Fingers crossed she gets fixed up soon. It might cause problems with our annual Vegas jaunt, too, but hopefully we can work round that.

Sorry to hear this, Have no doubt she will find something amazing and great that there is no immediate pressure.

You may not know that i am a Retail Store Manager and you see this all the time. Great when sales are flooding in but as soon as they slow down, companies start looking as cost savings (rightly so) and if it continues then they start looking at Labour savings. Obvously recently you have extreme examples of Toys are Us and Maplin. In my sector (Home Improvements) Bunnings who took over Homebase are not having the greatest of times. Makes me wonder were the thousands of people get re employed.

Maybe you should teach Gill DYM's, she could be the female Timmy next door.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #51456 on: April 18, 2018, 01:20:39 PM »

Give Gill my sympathy, I'm currently in the middle of mine, after 17 1/2 years in the same job with 3 different companies....

Was given an approx figure to take voluntary, then offered 2/3's of it, so a bit of negotiating going on - got my eye on a bit of a niche job, but startup costs for going self employed contractor are over £20K - so the payout matters big.

Sorry to hear that Rod, but as I emphasised to Gill, sometimes these things turn out for the better. Soothing words, though I'm not sure I really believe that...

Is the niche job nature or arty-farty based? I seem to recall you made weird stained glass windows or somesuch once? That's the sort of shite Tom likes.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #51457 on: April 18, 2018, 01:25:20 PM »

Sorry to hear this, Have no doubt she will find something amazing and great that there is no immediate pressure.

You may not know that i am a Retail Store Manager and you see this all the time. Great when sales are flooding in but as soon as they slow down, companies start looking as cost savings (rightly so) and if it continues then they start looking at Labour savings. Obvously recently you have extreme examples of Toys are Us and Maplin. In my sector (Home Improvements) Bunnings who took over Homebase are not having the greatest of times. Makes me wonder were the thousands of people get re employed.

Ha, not sure she'd ever "get" poker.

I was playing an online MTT one night & she asked how I was doing. "Are you winning?". (Bit like when a Lady asks "who is winning?"on the first morning of a Test Match).

I said that there had been 200 entrants, we were down to 36 now but I had a tough table.

So she said "36? Wow, how big is the table?"

"Say what?" I replied.

"36 players, how do you all fit round 1 table?"

Think it's best if she sticks to TV. We are complete opposites with TV, she loves Graham Norton & bollox like that, but I refuse to even be in the room whilst he is on.  
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 01:26:53 PM by tikay » Logged

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #51458 on: April 18, 2018, 02:12:39 PM »

Sorry to hear that Rod, but as I emphasised to Gill, sometimes these things turn out for the better. Soothing words, though I'm not sure I really believe that...

Is the niche job nature or arty-farty based? I seem to recall you made weird stained glass windows or somesuch once? That's the sort of shite Tom likes.

Sadly not, as there is no money in this country for arty-farty work or for crafts(wo)men. Anyone doing it as a living is very dedicated, very good & probably living a fairly simple life.

THe new work will be an outside job though, I'm getting into Drone surveying, and hopefully getting in pretty early in my part of the country where there are many opportunities.

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #51459 on: April 18, 2018, 05:06:10 PM »

So sorry to hear about Gill's redundancy. I've lived in the city all my life, now in Newcastle but same same. The decline of Industry in our city over the last 4 decades has been spectacular. Steelworks gone, Michelin factory gone, mining gone, the pottery industry decimated. There are plenty of jobs here but a lot are in the call centres and warehousing which is the low pay sector. I'm a believer that things happen for a reason and hope she bounces back into job she deserves ASAP.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #51460 on: April 18, 2018, 07:52:50 PM »

Sadly not, as there is no money in this country for arty-farty work or for crafts(wo)men. Anyone doing it as a living is very dedicated, very good & probably living a fairly simple life.

THe new work will be an outside job though, I'm getting into Drone surveying, and hopefully getting in pretty early in my part of the country where there are many opportunities.

A friend of mine's son based in London got into the somewhat niche market of drone insurance a couple or three years ago and afaik is still doing it - let me know if you think he might be a useful contact Rod and I'll put the two of you together.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #51461 on: April 18, 2018, 10:07:19 PM »

A friend of mine's son based in London got into the somewhat niche market of drone insurance a couple or three years ago and afaik is still doing it - let me know if you think he might be a useful contact Rod and I'll put the two of you together.

That would be great Ralph, I'll need insurance so it does no harm checking and might get your firend's son some business and me some useful advice.

tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #51462 on: April 19, 2018, 06:38:05 AM »

I was playing an online MTT one night & she asked how I was doing. "Are you winning?". (Bit like when a Lady asks "who is winning?"on the first morning of a Test Match).

I said that there had been 200 entrants, we were down to 36 now but I had a tough table.

"Say what?" I replied.

Think it's best if she sticks to TV. We are complete opposites with TV, she loves Graham Norton & bollox like that, but I refuse to even be in the room whilst he is on.  

Ha it’s not just our house then that this exact scenario happens in  !
Chatting to someone 18 months ago came the question “ did you watch I’m a celebrity get me out of here ? “
“ no he wouldn’t let me “ was Denises answer he being me ,
 my opinion it’s the biggest load of tripe ever
So I felt really mean last December n watched it with her ! Grudgingly I must admit !
I almost enjoyed it !
But would never openly admit to it !

Best wishes to Gill one door closes and another opens ! It’s true and all for a reason
Hope to see you in Vegas this year mate
We are going 8 th to 28 th June this year ,planning a week by the pool off strip ,seniors weekend downtown 2/3 nights st the encore then another pool side week my daughters out for our last week ! And the last of my money as she loves shopping  !
All done on air miles n a bit of money !
£5 k from small roulette spin ups in the uk in savings towards it already
Nothing in grand national bets lol
Frig all from poker - sums me up really
Although 3 days in Vegas at Easter saw me chop a Venetian deep stack 234 runner 12 way for $3 k n win a 2 pm $150 buy in at Caesars the very next day outright for 1500 $ - a poker Long ambition realised btw a heater must have landed !
So there’s a glimmer of light
Lucky

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51463 on: April 19, 2018, 06:50:12 PM »

"Say what?" I replied.

Mine doesn’t always get it either.  More than once, when I’ve been going out to a tournament she’s said “don’t be too late back!”
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51464 on: April 19, 2018, 08:26:56 PM »

"How did it go?"

"I won £250"

"Yes, but how much did you lose?"

The older I get, the better I was.
Pages: 1 ... 3427 3428 3429 3430 [3431] 3432 3433 3434 3435 ... 3778 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: