blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:13:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Live Tournament Updates
| | |-+  WSOP MAIN EVENT: DAY 1B - At A Glance
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WSOP MAIN EVENT: DAY 1B - At A Glance  (Read 6636 times)
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« on: July 07, 2007, 08:05:02 PM »

Play will commence at 12pm (8pm UK time)
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 09:14:09 PM »

Ok, I'm afraid to report Barry Neville is already OUT. He lost 8k in the first hand then had the on a Two Diamonds three diamonds x board, but his opponent had the . Phillip Green thought he could've got away from it but Priyan De Mel disagreed. Either way, here's Bazza pre-exit.

Jen is down to 12k already. I daren't ask, so here's her smiling earlier.

Other photos:

Kevin O'Leary
Tom Burton
Paul Gourlay
The Camel
John Conroy
Praz Bansi

Ben Grundy passed Kings 2nd hand, one player made it 400 to go (50/100 blinds). Ben made it 2,000 and the other player re-raised to 8,000. He was apparently quite chuffed, I remember him passing Kings in Monte Carlo too.

-------------------

Unlike yesterday, the Rio cardroom appears to be bursting with British blood, the likes of Mark Forrester, Joey Lovelady, Ben Grundy, Phil Green, Keith Hawkins, Ben Grundy and co all vying to make it through to Day 2 and then, hopefully, that big payday. One of those players is Jim Kerrigan, but whilst he is considered a threat in any comp (he frequently goes deep - no sexual innuendos please), he’s banged into early hurdle here, losing 5k on the very first hand.

Calling a pre-flop raise with Pocket Dueces, Jim flopped that highly desired set on a 2-A-K board and so opted to re-raise Mateyboy’s Flop bet of 300 to 900. Mateyboy smooth called and both players saw a 7 Turn. Mateyboy bet again, this time 3k, but Jim called, expecting A-K, but wary of the small possibility of a hand likes Aces or Kings. King on the Turn (perhaps the worst card for Jim) and Mateyboy bets out 5k. Without too much hesitation, Jim releases his hand adding to my good self in the aftermath, “I was sure he had A-K, I mean, there isn’t much I can beat there.” Thankfully for Jim, his opponent did indeed show the Big Slick.

In other first hand action news, Paul Gourlay was dealt Jacks on the button and received 2 callers when he raised it up. The 7-8-9 Flop wasn’t great, and so when The Rocket Man’s bet was check-raised, he decided to let it go and live to fight another day. As with the previous tale, the hand was shown, and again, it was the winning hand, Paul’s opponent proudly flipping up a set of Eights. Just 1,500 lost though.

We’ve found pretty much all of the players that you guys listed, although we’re yet to unearth Mr Shallow, and unless he’s moved to Asia and developed a bit of a tan, Simon Stocken isn’t on Table 104, Seat 7. We found Doobs though, more commonly known as Dave Barriclough. He ran pretty well in Monte Carlo come EPT final time, but has yet to bump and grind here, still holding his starting stack. What might please a couple of people is that Khayam Eszzat, who someone requested yesterday, is down as being on the feature table – I wonder who he’s sharing company with over their on the stage area?...

Anyway, it took us a while to get round then, so we didn’t have time to pick out the celebrities too, so we’ll keep an eye out for what stars are playing today and get back to you in 60 minutes time. Till then, toodle pip.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 09:26:51 PM by snoopy1239 » Logged

NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 10:27:09 PM »

Mateytime:

Neil Channing limps for 100 in mid-position. A couple of others do too. Matey on the button makes it 4300. Everyone passes.

Mateytime 2:

Karl Mahrenholtz raises a 1k bet to 2.2k on a two spades board from the cut-off against the big blind. Big blind calls. Turn is the , big blind now bets 5,200. Karl folds.

Dubai bets 3,700 on a board against two opponents, one check calls. They both check the turn before his opponent leads out for 3,500 on the two spades river, Dubai calls with and wins.

Blondewatch:

George 'Wellchief' MacDonald
Simon Trumper
Roland De Wolfe

Players are now on a 20 minute break.

---------------

After scavenging around for our British contingent, I then went on a bit of a mission to find some of the well known names here today, and even in just one quadrant I managed to stumble across Adam Schoenfeld, Ricky Nielsen, Patrik Antonius, Alan Smurfit, Tony G, Luca Pagano, Eric Mizrachi, Bill Chen, Rhett Butler, Kirk Morrison, GG Liu, Kathy Liebert and lots of other people that look like they’re American celebrities of some kind. Actually, I think they announced that Montel Williams was present – will have to check that one out, although I’m disappointed Ricky isn’t here. Go Ricky, go Ricky, go Ricky!

Before I forget, one of the aforementioned was in fact involved in a nice lucrative hand as I passed, bracelet winner Alan Smurfit, who is sharing a table with Tony ‘Feel my power!’ Guoga, was hurling 3.5k into the middle of a Two Clubs board. The Irishman’s opponent seemed perplexed and commented, “that’s a big bet” before making the call. Smurfit showed A-8, Mateyboy mucked, and the ‘butter wouldn’t melt in my mouth’ veteran scooped in the pot to add to his now 29k stack.

Running similarly well is David ‘Doobs’ Barriclough, at first reluctant to share how he rose to over 30k due to his victim being sat beside him. So, after he’d completed his current hand, he stepped away from the table to retell his story: “I called a raise with Tens and then bet 2k on a three diamonds Flop when everyone checked. That chap called behind me and the Turn came the , not a great card for me so I checked. He bet and I made a mad call, probably a tad upset about the Turn. Anyhow, the River brought another diamond, I checked, he bet 5k and I made a good call. I think he showed A-8.”

Other familiar names spotted are Marc ‘Greg Norman’ Goodwin (folding to a 500 bet on a 5-8-5 Flop when I arrived, but still running well with 28k), Steve ‘How do I keep making finals?!’ Jelinek (just below his starting stack after running into Aces with “just part of the board”) and Dublin EPT finalist George ‘I haven’t played a hand… ever’ McKeever (currently on 34k but sharing a table with the ruthless Kathy Liebert).

Most importantly, I found a little bit of norkage (poker norkage – the best combination possible!) and a dealer with the highest eyebrows I’ve seen since Fantasy Football League’s Statto.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 10:34:08 PM by snoopy1239 » Logged

NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 11:29:57 PM »

There's a queue as long as the Strip now to get into the 'Amazon Room' as it's called. God knows why, there's very little space for the audience and not much to see and no flash pictures are allowed, but still they queue.

Chip counts courtesy of Worldseriesofpoker.com

Tim Duckworth -- 46,250
Robert Cheung -- 42,075
Justin Bonomo -- 41,000
Ylon Schwartz -- 38,000   
Joe Sebok -- 34,000
David Einhorn -- 33,700
Kirk Morrison -- 33,000
Berry Johnston -- 32,000
Doug Kim -- 32,000      
David Oppenheim -- 32,000   

Simon Trumper is down to the felt after his Kings were no good on a K-J-J-9-5 board against Jacks, that one must have hurt.

EPT Monte Carlo runner-up Marc Karam lets go of a re-raised pot preflop after his opponent bet 4,900 on the turn of a board, after Marc had previously check-called his 2,500 bet on the flop.

Speaking of giving up on the turn, Mateyboy 1 bets 6,200 on the turn of an board only for Mateyboy 2 to move all-in. MB1 agonises and then mucks what looked like ....

---------------

Once more into the breach, and like Tom of Antes Up who looked like Gandalf with his long camera tripod, I too was looking for a ring, a ring of requested players that included Maurice Kenter, Kevin O’Leary and Simon Stocken, and whilst I’m not sure if I’ve found the latter (pls confirm from top photo), I’ve definitely tracked down the former two.

With just 9.5k ad his stack sliced in half, the colourful Mr O’Leary isn’t a happy bunny, complaining of “5 people on his table” not being able to fold hands. He also mumbled something about Jacks versus Kings, and running into a flush draw that hit, so it appears as though it was in dribs and drabs rather than one big hit.

While American Maurice Kenter is similarly struggling with 14,275 (as is Harry Briggs on 15k), Dusk Till Dawn’s Kevin O’Connell is moving in the right direction, his 31k stack bringing him a new found confidence, although even he would confess to suffering from WSOP fatigue. Kevin is sharing a table with Johan Storakers (17.5k) and Evelyn Ng (28.5k) – lucky him!

In other news, I spotted Gutshotter David Buckle who hasn’t been doing anything too drastic, unlike WPT final tabler Mike Wattel, who exited the cardroom saying “f*** this” with a face that looked like a smacked bottom. Also spotted John Duthie, Sam Grizzle, Noah Boeken, David Murray, Jeff Lisandro, Juha Helppi, Viicky Coren, Howard Lederer, Age Spets, Erik Seidel and Tomas Brolin on my travels, the latter finally finding a sport/activity where he doesn’t have to move around too much.

Keith Hawkins also nipped me for my $20 Fantasy Poker League payment that was overdue. With only a few events needed and my score lacking on digits, I wasn’t overly keen, especially when I need all my picks to final to even stand a chance of winning. Sat next to Karin Lundgren (25k), The Camel has his head just above water after running a set of twos into a Turned set of Queens, before winning a Kings vs. Queens confrontation.

Another Brit, Phil Green of Birmingham, has 31k: “Aaah, not too much has happened. I’ve been nibbling, a couple of Ace Kings and a pair of Kings, no big hands.

Finally, I don’t like to throw too many Mateyboy anecdotes your way, especially Mateyboy squared scenarios, but this one was a corker.

Mateyboy #1 =

Mateyboy #2 =

All-in pre-flop.

Board =

Naughty me for laughing!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 12:03:59 AM by snoopy1239 » Logged

NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 01:00:42 AM »

Break time has arrived. The blinds will go to 200/400 next level followed by dinner for two hours, which seems overly long to me. The funniest thing I've seen so far is the microphone and camera man permanently camped at Patrick Antonius side. The guy hardly ever speaks and yet they hang the boom-mic above his head as though he's about to utter a cure for cancer or something.

Jen came in during the break, and wrote a hand for me, she limped UTG with , one guy raised and she flat-called. She check/called 1500 on the K-6-x flop, and the check-called the 3k bet on a brick turn, before finally check/calling 6k on the Ace river. Combined with busting out the short stack, she now has 25k. Perhaps she should have this poster.

------------------

I’m finding it pretty difficult today. After just 5 hours sleep last night, and 5 hours the night before, the franticness of the World Series is gradually beginning to take it’s toll. The other bracelet events are a jovial affair, but come Main Event time, the Rio becomes hustle and bustle with people pushing passed each other, the 1,300 players to update makes you reminisce of fond 7 table memories in Luton and the pressure to accrue all those vital stats for the requesting players becomes mission impossible.

However, we’re doing our very best to bring you what we can and I have turned to my ipod for aid, my Air album providing just about enough relaxation to block out the noise in the pressroom and subsequently prevent my head from exploding. If someone accidentally activated Metallica or Motorhead on my ipod then I probably would cry.

If we’ve forgotten or overlooked anyone, then please give us another poke and remind of us of who you’re following. On my last outing, I believe I managed to find (and photo) Mark Newlands, Raj Modha and Richard Mail who have 16,500, 23,500 and 32,000 respectively. If they’re not the people in the photo, then please say.

Meanwhile, one face that I am sure of is Barny Boatman’s. Unfortunately, it’s a sniffly face today after (1) having his stack halved and (2) suffering from some sort of Vegas virus. The hand that put the Hendon Mobber down to 10k was a nasty one, Barny flopping a straight but losing out to a Rivered boat. The good news is that he managed to get away as cheap as possible when his opponent attempted a trap check on the end. Barny didn’t bite.

State side, David Pham is riding high, his latest pot being a slight nerve wracking affair as his opponent attempted to outdo the renowned pro with a mere flush draw. With the board reading , Pham’s 2.3k bet was raised to 5k, to which he responded by adding another 6k with what was clearly, by now, a set. After considering his options, Mateyboy decided to go for it with his two hearts and pushed for his final stack of chips. Pham called the 9.6k and breathed a sigh of relief as the Turn and River brought black cards. As a result, Pham is up to 59k and looking more confident than Jamie Oliver in a big tongue contest.

Back to the Brits, big drinker Ben Grundy (he has three cokes under his chair – “Helps with the boredom,” he claims) has been as active as usual, managing to get up to 36k by “getting lucky and having a bluff turn into a hand”. He’s not a complete mover and shaker though, finding a pre-flop fold with Kings in Level 1. It sounds incredible, but there was plenty of raising, and Ben had invested 3k before he knew he was beat.

Top 10 chip counts courtesy of worldseriesofpoker.com:

1st  Scott Bohlman -- $86,000
2nd  Scotty Nguyen -- $68,700
3rd  Daniel Makowsky -- $62,000
4th  Rep Porter -- $61,000
5th  Doug Kim -- $61,000
6th  David 'The Dragon' Pham -- $59,100
7th  Gary Benson -- $55,000
8th  Joe Sebok -- $55,000
9th Niel Channing -- $49,000
10th Montel Williams -- $46,500

Right, back to the cesspit.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 01:11:55 AM by snoopy1239 » Logged

snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 02:19:19 AM »

Egged on by Floppy to wander around the top right hand corner of the room (mainly to see "the big boobed woman" that my update partner was encouraging me to visit), I became distracted by some of the big names located in that area, Roland de Wolfe (56k), Ross Boatman (24k), Alex Kravchenko (53.5k), Tom McEvoy (17k), Donnacha O'Dea (30k), Jesse Jones (9k) and Max Pescatori (25k) all still battling away. Also making their presence known are Hoos Parhizkar with 9.5k (Southampton based player who came runner up to Greco in the Cardiff GUKPT), Priyan De Mel with 38k (pal of The Hit Squad, ran well in the Polish EPT) and Dave 'Dubai' Shallow with 25.5k (er... he's got spiky hair). Jen is also hovering around this quadrant of the room with 26.5k, visibly fatigued but still maintaining her focus.

Lots of homegrown talent remaining from the 1,500 or so starters, but Bary Boatman and JP Kelly have both bitten the dust, the latter seeing a flop with before moving all-in on a double clubbed Flop. Justin 'ZeeJustin' Bonomo called, mistakenly perhaps, with a set, thereby allowing the nut flush draw to come in and hit on the Turn. ZeeJustin lost a chunk of his stack as JP departed, but not too worry, the young American has another seat over the other side of the room. Oh yes, the old ones are the best! I need a high five smilie.

I ran into Jon Exley at one point. He seem like a nice chap, quiet, but amicable. He may be reserved at the table, but he has a decent record, several steady cashes plus that big win in the Blackpool Bonanza Main Event. Here, however, he's not going great guns, in his own words: "I've only played 3 hands in 3 hours". As a result of cold cards, the Northerner is down to 14.5k.

In contrast, Neil 'Bad Beat' Channing is riding a big wave, moving all-in from the big blind to a small blind raiser as I was talking to him about how he got his 55k stack. The small blind conceded and Neil was allowed to finish his story. "It was an interesting one actually, and I'd appreciate the thoughts of the forum", he requested. "I saw a family A-J-K rainbow Flop from the blind with A-J and, after everyone had checked, bet out 2.8k. A pretty tight guy, who'd limped under the gun suspiciously, flat called, and then bet the Ace Turn. I called and we both saw a blank River, a 4 I think it was. I thought maybe he'd limped pre-flop with A-K, perhaps Jacks or Kings, Aces was less likely, but I thought he was strong. With this in mind, I thought I'd check in case he was huge, or at least to give him a chance to bluff if he wasn't. He bet 5k, and I actually decided to make it 13k and he called with Pocket Kings. I'm not sure about my re-raise on the River, Keith (Hawkins) says he would have just flat called."

So viewers, would you have called on the River or stuck in a re-raise as Neil did? Let us know your thoughts...

----------------------------------------

Marc Goodwin is up to around 40k, so was Ben Grundy until he busted a short stack with vs , winning the to put him closer to 50k.

Sebastian Ruthenberg, the Dortmund Finalist, is a gonna. He called for most of his stack on a board, only to be shown , his next hand he pushed with only to run into . Wandering around, I managed to see all the flashing cameras surrounding Howard Lederer as he pushed his short stack all-in, but there was a bit of controversy when seat 1 who was going to apparently call, had his hand accidently mucked by the dealer. Howard took the blinds with Ace Queen, and seat 1 said he had Kings, and appeared a little miffed.

At the moment there are continuous announcements to the public, asking if they'd like to watch the feature table (with Joe Hachem), practically begging people to come. But this then changed when they announced that spectators were welcome to come and watch the feature table, otherwise they'd have to leave the Amazon room completely because they would be stopping players from getting in to play sats and cash games. Funnily enough, the cash games have already been going for at least an hour, and there isn't that huge a queue to get into the room anymore, I'm guessing that ESPN are just desperate not to have empty seats for the cameras...

Vicky Coren has 20k and is falling asleep. At least that's what my note says here.

Kevin O'Leary is short, but played a part in a bizarre hand, he raised to 1100 in EP, saw a re-raise to 4100 in LP and a call from the small blind and Kevin passed. The board came Queen high and the small blind shoved for 27k into about a 9k pot, the re-raiser passed his Kings face up. Small blind 'triumphantly' showed his Ace Queen...

The Patrick-Bot
Lederer All-in
The A-Q Overshove.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 02:33:41 AM by NoflopsHomer » Logged
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 03:43:53 AM »

We're currently on the 90 minute break and thus due to return at 8.30pm (4.30am UK time), but just before they left for din dins, I did manage to catch up with a chipped up David Barriclough, fresh off stacking his newly acquired 60k stack. Reluctant to share the gory details at first, a bit of poking let to the information oozing out of the Brit and the swift unveiling of a hand that he may not be overly keen to shout about.

It wasn't a bad beat as such, but did involve David raising under-the-gun with T-9 off suit and receiving 2 callers, which probably wasn't the plan. Anyhow, the 9-8-6 (two diamonds) Flop was about as good as could be expected, and so David bet out 2k to try and take the pot there and then. Unfortunately, it didn't quite work out like that, the 'serial raiser', as Dave called him, making it 5k, and the second player moving all-in for 6k.

Thinking that there was perhaps some dead money in the pot, Dave push all-in for 17k in an attempt to represent strength, get the re-raiser to fold and subsequently isolate the all-iner. Again, the plan crumbled somewhat when Mr Aggressive announced call, but, with cards on their back, 'Doobs' somehow found himself, and his T-9, in front, Mr Lucy Goosey having T-8 and the pusher holding the nut flush draw.

Naturally, the two cards were complete blanks and David's pair of nines earned him a monster, if unlikely pot. Take it anyway you can I say, although perhaps I watch too much Jenna Jameson (ahem).

Meanwhile, other British players still holding their own are John Conroy (22k), Vik Kanwar (26k) and Miss Jennifer Mason (30k). Rajesh Modha is fairing slightly better with 40,500 and looking very confident indeed, as is Steve Jelinek with 31,000 - down to 11k after a bluff wrong, but back up to the thirties due to 4 consecutive hands... apparently.

Finally, before the rest of the media and I were outed, last year's double bracelet winner, William Chen, is still in, on 47,500 in fact. With his ruffled hair, casual casual clothes and consistently confused look, you wouldn't believe that this was one of the game's top players, but even though he appears slightly nutty, he's a menace at the table and could easily be still standing when the smoke clears. A dark horse perhaps in this year's Main Event?

Until they return full stomached, I'll leave you with some more Main Event piccies:

(1) Chris Sokrati
(2) Priyan de Mel
(3) Christoffe Stahle
(4) Cliff Josephy
(5) Isabelle Mercier
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 03:46:22 AM by snoopy1239 » Logged
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 05:35:13 AM »

Feeling refreshed from my much needed 90 minute lunch break, I headed back out in search of anything of interest, but what I got was rather more than interesting. It’s not often Vicky Coren sits at a table and isn’t the main attraction, a middle aged woman with silly hat causing a flurry of railer giggles due to he rhuge (and I mean huuuuuuuuuuuuuge) babylons resting over the table. Examining a photo with his jaw resting on the desk (from surprise as opposed to sexual allure) photographer Lein Toddarts, as he asked to known so as to disguise his identity, claimed her cleavage to be bigger than her head. Honestly, peeps, it has to be seen. Meanwhile, whilst her table mates try to concentrate on the poker or, at the very least, fight for some non-breast intruding elbow room, Vicky is still plugging away with 22k with David Levi still going in the seat opposite.

Back down the other end of the cardroom, the Gutshot’s David Buckle is steady eddie with 22.5k, but what was slightly more interesting was the had going down at his table, an American chap making a good call for 6k with vs. Two Clubs and a board of .

Also noticed that Marc Goodwin (46k) and John Duthie (42.5k) are now neighbours, with Hoyt Corkins (9.5k) the other side of the dealer. Marc was in a hand just as I left, raising to 1.3k pre-flop, checking the Flop  and check calling a 1.5k Turn bet. The River came another Ace and Marc bet 2k. With his hands shaking, the young American raised it another 2k, only for Marc to pick up some chips, semi-fake a re-raise and fold.

I hadn’t spotted him up until now, perhaps due to being located in the very corner of the room where bloggers rarely bother to tread (we’re not lazy, honest!), but Peter Haslam is still in… just. He’s down to just 3k after “bluffing most of it away for 8k and then losing with A-8 vs. A-9, an Ace on the River.” Just a couple of tables down is Bullit Pete’s buddy, Chris Sokrati, aka Soxy online – he’s on 17.5k, so fairing marginally better.

A whole host of big names seem to have vanished, Justin Bonomo, David Williams, Annie Duke, Howard Lederer and online superstar Christoffe Stahle, but liitle ol’ Jen Mason is most certainly still battling away like there's no tomorrow, desperately holding onto her 30 or so k and comfortably staying in touch with the current average. Seated next door is John Kabbaj with 34,500, although he seems to be more interested in his phone at the moment.

Tom Burton has 12k – he seems to be becoming rather frustrated in his lack of handage, recently folding the small blind with T-2 (how can he fold the Brunson?!), and being shown 4-2 in the big. “You had me dominated,” said the Big. “But you had straight possibilities,” replied Burton. Oh, the hilarity, how often have you heard that sort of exchange at the felt?

Meanwhile, and I do apologise for the Mateyboys involved in these ‘Laugh at them because they just got rogered’ hands, but I couldn’t help but be amused by this one, Mateyboy all-in with vs. on a Two Clubs board, hitting the River. I knew it was going to happen which is why I stayed to watch, but why is it never the Queen?

Oh yeah nearly forgot, George ‘Well Chief’ McDonald has 21k, Keith Hawkins has 38k, ut they're both behind Cliff Josephy who has 83k. Au revoir.

According to worldseriesofpoker.com, who we offer thx for allowing us to use the top 10 chip counts:

1st Scott Bohlman -- $98,000
2nd  Thomas Vo -- $96,000
3rd  Pat McLean -- $90,000
4th  Mark Pritchett -- $88,000
5th  Scotty Nguyen -- $85,000
6th  Daniel Makowsky -- $81,000
7th  Rep Porter -- $74,000
8th  Nicholas Botta -- $73,500
9th  Jonathan Lessin -- $73,250
10th  Sven-Anders Johnsson -- $72,000

-----------------------------------------------------

MIA:

Jim Kerrigan
Praz Bansi
Jennifer Harman
Marc Karam
Dubai
Max Pescatori

Dan Harrington (who probably gets away with millions of bluffs these days...) is up to 40k, with the blinds 200/400 with a 50 ante, UTG made it 1,700. Action Dan made it 5,000 straight, more passing than me trying to answer questions on 17th century French Literature on Mastermind. UTG decides to flat-call, despite having just 3.4k behind after that.

Flop:

three diamonds Two Diamonds

UTG checks, Dan puts him in. UTG passes. Nope, I don't get it either...

Bo Sehlstedt just made a great call when he was put all-in on the river of a K-2-K-9-J board, he made the call with A-9 only to find his opponent sitting with pocket threes.

New blonde member, isabellefrance has 26k and says hello to all the badbeat and betfair crew.

John Conroy has 65k.

Whenever there's an all-in and a call, the dealers have to shout that out, along with their table number. Over the last half hour or so with the running antes kicking in, this has increased probably at least threefold, and the Amazon room, previously brimming with the sounds of chips riffling, now sounds like an extremely busy cafe, shouting out multiple orders.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 05:46:05 AM by NoflopsHomer » Logged
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 06:47:49 AM »

It's wierd how you can follow a tounament all day and still not spot certain players until 10 hours in, my latest case of foolishly overlooking a player being Mark Convey, perhaps best known as a part-time blogger with the Gutshot team. Rumoured to being backed by the likes of Devilfish, Convey appears to be a dab hand at this poker lark if he has players of that calibre aiding his entrance fee, but from what I hear, he works in property rather than the rollercoaster world of full time poker. Either way, he's enjoyed a solid start to his WSOP experience, happily chugging along with 42,500.

Whilst Mark's moving up, Paul 'Rocket Man' Gourlay has been heading south all day, but he's got no qualms about it, the go-lucky Geordie (or is he a Leedsy now?) happy to admit that he's simply had nothing to play all day. "I just haven't got anything and any time I've had half a hand, I've been re-raised. Just got 4,900 at the moment, but I'm still confident for some reason." Continuing (as he often seems to do), "I'm after that guy's orange chips and will have them on the final." Well, at least he's remaining positive, pity he can't even change up one at the moment though. More amusingly, I passed on the 'kiss' message, and he bizarrely asked if it was his 'sister or his girlfriend'... 

Equally high in spirits is Mr Antonius Guoga, who asked how I was when I approached his table. "Feeling your power, Tony," I replied in honour of one of his many catchphrases. I asked Tony if he was tired, to which he confessed to being a little fatigued, but believed stamina was a big part of the game. "I've been here before, I'm used to it, so it won't be a problem." Tony's currently on 29k and, so far today, has yet to make his table feel his power... baby!

Bumped into Vik Kanwar too from Colchester too - he's looking a tad frustrated, mainly due to two big stacks on his left. "I've never been below 20k, but I just can't do too much with these two next to me". Another English player, Phil Green, asked me to pass on a message to his mates, saying that 'The Phoenix' is on 80k and won a few chips with T-9 (or was it tens AND nines?). Either way, he's doing well, and admitted to making the odd successful bluff to reach that chunky figure.

The highly respected Neil Channing, railed by Willie Tann who finished yesterday with 55k, is still hovering around the 60k mark: "I've been on about the same for a while now, just not making any progress. I'm playing a lot of hands though - at least one every 3 hands, maybe even every 2."

With Jen Mason still on 29k, we need some inspiration for some of our flag fliers, and perhaps that will come in the form of Priyan de Mel who has shot up to a rather magnificent 90k. Priyan claimed to have won those chips in a number of pots, but did reveal an Aces v Kings coo. "I told him that he should fold and that I had Aces, but he still called!" sniggered a bewildered Priyan.

Meanwhile, we have a few other chip counts, Kevin O'Connell with 38,500, Simon Stocken at 26,500, Richard Redmond on 32,000 and Richard 'Not the one from Bottom' Mail, 43,000. Doing almost as well is Rajesh Modha - he has 29,500 after betting 7k on a T-5-5-Q-K rainbow board, his opponent commenting, "I'm going to give you credit for a King, my Jacks shrivelled after the Turn".

Finally, there was a cracking hand on Table Squelch, Richard Redmond flopping a straight but coming in a good third to a Turned Royal Flush and a Rivered Quads, the guy with four of a kind taking at least 90 seconds to realise he'd lost. Well, with Quads, you don't expect to be behind too often, not unless you're playing Razz.

By the way, take a look at that dodgy pony-tail behind Jen! Quite remarkable how he has got away with that withought being disqualified for fashion violations.

--------------------------------------------

Controversy now, as David Singer has gone out and isn't a happy bunny. He had pushed all-in on a and his opponent's phone went off whilst the latter was thinking about making the call. The opponent apparently picked out his phone, turned it off straight away, put it back in his pocket and then said, "Call." Singer was claiming that if you touch your phone during a hand, you hand is declared dead. The floor was called and the tournament director made a ruling that the player in seat 1 was allowed to call. This ruling was supported by Nolan Dalla and Singer's failed to improve against the other player's . Singer is not impressed, but Nolan said that the turning off of the phone was done as a courtesy to the other players and not being used as an advantage.

Ben Grundy is feeling a little sick. He flat-called a small blind check/raise from 6k to 17.5k on a board and then insta-called when the board paired with the and the small blind moved in with , and Ben's , behind on the flop, were now in the dominating position, until the river which sent a 110k pot away from him leaving him close to the felt.

Erik Seidel, 8-time bracelet winner, is OUT. K-5 no good vs 6-6.

Roland De Wolfe has added a chunk to his stack busting another player. Both had checked a Two Diamonds board before it had all gone in on the turn, Roland's uber-draw with still behind though to the of his opponent. Roland managing to hit the on the river though.

Marc Goodwin lost two chunky pots, first with 6-6 to Hoyt Corkins A-6 on a A-A-3-6-x board, and then with a flush to two pair which rivered a house. He's back down to around 20k.

Pics:

David Singer's phone holding opponent.
Chipped Up TV Host Montel Williams!
Ben Grundy loses the 110k pot.
Joe Sebok.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 07:04:37 AM by NoflopsHomer » Logged
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 08:00:36 AM »

Perhaps everyone's tired, but not too much seems to have happened over the lost 60 minutes, the most entertaining aspect being the rise of chatshow host Montel Williams. Obviously long-term fame in the shadow of Oprah wasn't enough for the TV star, his ambush on the World Series starting off in sparkling fashion with a 140k stack and rumoured chip lead. Just a couple of seats along is Robert 'animal' Price, who informs me is a blondeite. Robert is licking his lips like a dog spotting the rabbit, that rabbit being Montel who he says isn't the greatest poker talent in the world and perhaps the best chance of obtaining a monster stack.

If anyone can get his hands on the Montel stack, then it would be Robert, who, himself, is sitting pretty pretty himself with with 60k, most of that deriving from the reception of a welcome Pocket Ladies. Raising it up pre-flop, Robert was called in one place, but greeted with an Ace high Flop that he inevitably checked. A Queen arrived on the Turn, albeit a third diamond, and with all the chips flying in, his opponent was ultimately drawing dead with A-J, no diamond.

Charismatically donning a curiously colouful shirt, Montel has a minder, or bodyguard standing behind him as he plays. This chap has a VIP pass and seems to be there just to keep an eye on his celebrity friend. What's more, he's ruddy massive, so no wonder Montel's leading the way, everyone perhaps mucking their cards even when they've won. The Last time I visited this table, Montel was splitting a pot with Fours v Aces on a 5-3-6-4-2 board. I wish I knew when the chips went in...

Not previously mentioned, Rob Taylor joins the likes of Alan Smurfit and Donnacha O'Dea (plus son who has 16k) in the Irish contingent here today. Unfortunately, Rob isn't in the best of moods, his 49k stack recently slipping to 31k due to a series of non-profit making hands.

I couldn't find Karl Mahrenholz or Praz, neither Jim Kerrigan now I come to mention it, but there are still hundreds of players left spread across more than half the room, so I'd need to check every nook and cranny before confirming, but the early signs of being findable don't look great. John Conroy's definitely still in with 55-60k, as is Norwegian sensation Jan Sjavik with 33k. Most promising however is the miracle of Gourlay, Rocket Man fulfilling his promise of getting his hands on an orange 5k chip once again, his all-in with A-Ks surviving 5-4s to climb back up to an unprecedented 9k. The only way's up, unless he loses of course...

So, with Jennifer Harman, Erik Seidel and David Singer tasting dust, the latter not without controversy, we're left with the following chip leaders thanks to worldseriesofoker.com:

1st  Montel Williams -- $150,000
2nd  Michael Woo -- $117,000
3rd  Jun Takada -- $116,000
4th  Jeff Baoghart -- $115,000
5th  Christian Lohmann -- $114,000
6th  Scott Bohman -- $110,000
7th  Chris Viox -- $108,000
8th  Dave Lunde -- $105,000
9th  Mark 'Poker Ho' Kroon -- $100,000
10th Ryan Elson -- $100,000

-----------------------------------------

A huge cheer went up from the TV table a short while ago, Joe Hachem was all-in with A-K against Aces only for the board to come Q-J-T-8-6. Nicolas Levi has 55k, but isn't wearing his trademark hat today, his table looks to be a odd mix, but I only recognise Joe Sebok on there.

Paul Gourlay is OUT, vs , board coming two spades.

Another player suffers a beat, holding on an Two Diamonds board, all the chips go in against only for the river to come the making the wheel. At this point the ESPN crew jump in with a camera and boom mic, desperate for the guy to say something interesting, and when I say 'interesting', I mean swear and generally get cross.

Finally one guy manages to get his whole stack in with on a Two Diamonds three diamonds board against and A-J, bizarrely he manages to catch his Queen and shouts, "Yessireee Bob!!!"

In fact I'm seeing a lot of this shouting and whooping, mostly, not from the young American kids, but from the 30 - 40 year olds who act about one of tenth of their age whenever they're all-in or there's a camera crew nearby.

Pics:

Kevin O'Connell on about 40k
That bizarre Two Diamonds three diamonds board...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 08:14:17 AM by NoflopsHomer » Logged
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 09:24:09 AM »

First off, let's get some of the exits out of the way. Remember David Redlin from the Grand Prix de Paris? Well, he came 3rd there for a nice payday, but he's out here, as surely Joe Lovelady is. I genuinely haven't seen him since Level 1, so I'm pretty sure he's a gonna. Another Brit, Bullet Pete is missing and presumed lost - but again, I'm 99% sure as he was down to just a couple of thousand not too long ago. Meanwhile, Chris Sokrati is still clinging on with 14k, down but not out.

On the flipside, we have a couple of do-gooders in Phil Green who has continued his gradual climb to the dizzy heights of the top 50 players, his recent chip acquisitions being enough to see him creep into the elite 100k club with 105 thousand. This club is also home to David Barriclough who surely owes me a small percentage after I aiding him in his most recent triumph. Peering over at this chip stack, Dave gave me a quick wave, at which unfortunate point, the player under-the-gun raised to 3,000. Round to Dave on the button, and after a quick glance down at his cards, announced "raise", not knowing that there had already been one in front of him. Looking slightly agitated (it's funny how players can never seem to hide their dismay at these situations), David was correctly informed that verbal goes and was made to bet at least the minimum. Perhaps admitting defeat, Dave didn't pretend he had a monster and risk a bigger re-raise (lucky he didn't in truth), and indeed chose to make it an extra 3k play.

To my surprise, the original raiser made the call and the two saw a raggy Flop, which led to an odd 6k bet from Mateyboy. David smooth called and the dealer dealt out the . Check check, and again on the River with David taking the pot with vs. . The guy with the Kings didn't look best please, David meanwhile just shrugged his shoulders and apologised, although he didn't need to as Mateyboy was being sneaky and trap-checking pre-flop. Anyhow, David gave me a rye smile, which I hope meant (well, translated as) "Thanks for the help, I'll give you 50%".

Back to non-blogger influenced poker, and while Ben Grundy is still looking pissed off after his 4-outer cost him the chip lead and knocked him down to a paltry in comparison 20k, Tom Burton seems to have found his feet from somewhere and climbed up to 34.5k. Hairy arms that lad by the way! On the same table as Burton, a 'cor-blimey' hand devloped between Seat 1 and 2, the former betting out 22k into a Flop of two hearts , only for the young chap in Seat 2 to push for a total of 53k. Even Seat 3 spent a session in the the think tank, but he eventually folded what he later claimed was A-Q. Back round to seat 1, who called semi-reluctantly, and it was on their backs time.

Seat 1 Mateyboy =

Seat 2 Mateyboy =

Turn =

River =

The Turn provoking little reaction, but the River resulting in an uncontrollable "Yes!", which, considering the tension at the time, I couldn't fault him for. The losing player took it well.

Another Mateyboy incident which involved a player 'taking it well' was even more painful. As I walked around the back, I nearly jumped out of my skin at one point, a player shoving his chair back and yelping as if bitten in the goolies by a snake lying in wait underneath the table. But after confirming the lack of snakage, I soon realised why the cry and seat flinging had developed, the board reading three diamonds with Pocket Threes and Pocket Fours lying innocently in front of the players. After the momentary pain, the one-outee smiled, grabbed his bag and congratulated the winner, even shaking his hand and wishing the rest of the table good luck as he left. I thought that was a nice touch.

In other news, Roland and his 42k stack is on the move, locating closer to the lass he bought in after losing a bet, Miss Mason, who hasn't progressed too much recently, but, at the same time, not seen her stack drop very much at all. A few greens have found their way to her stack, so I detect a bit of pinchy pinchy of the antes. Naughty Jen! I also caught sight of Camel's stack - he has 25k and looks a little fidgety, his nut flush being outdrawn by trips and an A-Q failing to improve against a shortstack's Pocket snowmen being the probable cause of his bodily grimaces.

Before I head back out, I have to mention Patric Martensson of Sweden. He's on 37k and definitely one to watch, three (I think) EPT finals to his name making him a very dark horse indeed. Even if you don't rate him, then you have to admire him, the bio his friends set-up for him at the Deauville EPT being hilarious with it's fabricated tales of used-car selling, stamp collecting and even a claim of being the Swedish Monopoly champion. I'm so glad Mad Harper chose to publish those little white fibs. Made my EPT season.

--------------------------------------

A group of reporters were gathering around a table watching a large pot develop between two players. Neither of them looked famous, but they managed to get all the chips in the middle on a three diamonds board, one player holding , the other with . The Queens held giving the winner a 50k+ stack. His name? Sam Simon, one of the creators of the Simpsons. (pic1)

John Duthie is up to almost 70k at the expense of Raj Modha, the EPT head-honcho turned a straight against the Laddies Million Winner's Aces, leaving the latter close to the felt.

Keith Lehr, who was close to the final table of the $5k, managed just now to fold Kings preflop. UTG limped, and then an EP player limped behind him. Keith raised his Kings, the UTG player re-raised, and the limper moved in. Keith passed his kings after a dwell and the UTG player called with...the other two kings! The limper was the one with Aces, which held.

Jen is OUT. Tens against AK, raise, re-raise, and, out of position rest of chips (half stackish) in on 3-3-K flop.  Called instantly, misinterpretation of betting, goodnight Vegas after 10 hours.

Finally, here's a picture of the chip leader, Dag Martin Mikkelsen who is "dmmikkel" online, and coincidentally Annette_15's best friend. He has 220k.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 09:36:44 AM by NoflopsHomer » Logged
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 10:36:48 AM »

The big news as we dissect the final level into two is that John Duthie is chip daddy after laying the smacketh down on two of his opponents, the first of which was Rajesh Modha who is down to 5k as a result. Raising it up to 2k with Aces, Raj was called by Duthie, who also called a 7k bet on the 8-T-K Flop followed by an all-in on the Jack Turn. Duthie showed 9-7 for the straight and Raj was drawing dead to a Queen, which failed to appear.

Then, shortly after, Duthie's chip stack increased further, all his chips steam rolling in (30k with plenty more in the middle) on a Flop, his next door neighbour, who actually appears in a future Goodwin clash, calling with . Duthie flips for the open ended straight and flush draw, the sealing the deal and fulfilling up both possibilities. His opponent looked crushed, especially when the River came a , which would have given him a higher flush with his Queen, had Duthie not made his monster. The EPT entrepreneur up to 140k.

Before Duthie and his EPT dealer were passing chips to each other (joke!!), Marc Goodwin's stack took a severe turn for the worst, the Brummie trying his best to laugh it off. "It's not a bad beat, just funny," he says. "Hoy Corkins raised and I called from the button with 6-6. It came A-A-3 and he made a small bet which I called, I was pretty sure by this point that he had an Ace. The Turn was a 6, he bet 4k, I pushed for 18.5k and he called all-in. What do you reckon he had?" "Ace Three?" I replied. "Ace Six," was the answer. Well, I was close.

Another encounter that forced steam out of Goodwins ears was a Rookieboy clash, Goodwin smooth calling a ridiculous 18.5k all-in with just 2k in the middle, the board reading two spades . Marc claimed to be drawing, although he actually already had the flush with , and flat called. Mateyboy behind fell for the bait and also called, but was fortunate enough to hit a 4 for a full house (T-4 in his hand), his 5k River bet inevitably being paid off by an ultimately very frustrated Goodwin.

Whilst George McDonald takes the long walk back to his hotel room (Floppy has the details...), John Conroy is still in (what else would you expect from the Rockstar?) with 45k and Richard 'Squelch' Redmond has jumped to 82k. Also running well is former World Champ, Berry Johnstone, on approximately 120k.

Robert Price (71k) has yet to get his mitts on those chatshow chips, Montel Williams sharing them out amongst his table mates, but still with 50k to burn. Neil Channing, meanwhile, went as low as 30k after a strong start, but doubled back up to the 70k mark with an A-T vs. 8-8 coin flip victory.

Last but not least, Rhett Butler has just (virtually) doubled up with vs. all-in on a Flop. He's a pretty cool cucumber, but even this guy couldn't resist a slight punch of the air when the Turn and River brought blanks. By the way, I feel I should be commended for not using any cheap Gone With The Wind gags, but frankly, I don't give a damn.

About 30 minutes ago, there were 710 players left with the average stack at 43,521.

--------------------------------

Yes, George 'Wellchief' MacDonald is OUT, Queens versus Fives but the fives four-flushed and it would be the on the river to seal it...

Priyan De Mel is 'just looking to survive the day' and is doing a good job at the moment with 60k.

Donnacha O'Dea has doubled up, pushing on the river of a two spades three clubs with and getting a call from

The Camel has doubled up with against , a forlorn looking Two Diamonds board saved by the river.

Tony G has knocked out Juha Helppi with Sixes against Fives. He shook Helppi's hand and then told all in the vicinity where their chips were going.

Nicholas Levi has doubled up, virtually felting Joe Sebok in the process when his held against . He's now on 70k.

Patrick Antonius is shortishly stacked, passing to a 12k bet on the turn of a two hearts board.

Marc Goodwin ends up all-in with TT vs John Duthie's AA vs another player's AA vs another player's KK. The board comes 3-4-5-6-7. Possibly the most ludicrous outcome ever.

Finally, this is a film director. Bonus points if you can guess who it is...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 10:58:14 AM by NoflopsHomer » Logged
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 11:20:28 AM »

By the time we post this, the final whistle will just be about blowing, but at the time of writing, there is 15 minutes remaining and the following players are still in:

Karin Lundgren
Neil Channing
Bruno Fitoussi
Simon Stocken
Vicky Coren
Evelyn Ng
Scotty Nguyen
John Exley
John Conroy
Harry Briggs
Phil Green
Patrik Antonius
Rhett Butler
Steve Jelinek
Alan Smurfit
Kirk Morrison
George McKeever
Adam Schoenfeld
Richard Redmond
Chris Sokrati
Pascal Perrault
Nicolas Levi
O'Dea snr
O'Dea jnr
Montel Williams
Priyan de Mel
Vic Kanwar
Tom McEvoy
John Duthie
Marc Goodwin
Tony G
Mark Seif
Cliff Josephy
John Cernuto
Jon Hennigan
Berry Johnstone
Keith Hawkins
Tore Lagerborg
Dan Harrington
David Levi
Jason Lester
Patric Martensson
Hoyt Corkins

Witnessed some nasty last minute exit, Jack v Kings (Jack on Flop) and J-5 v Tens (Jack on Flop & River) causing a few gasps from onlooking players.

NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 11:20:49 AM »

Snoops needs to catch up, they are into the last few minutes which means press get the boot time. We're going to sign off now and get some sleep, we have to restart again in less than 8 hours for the 1C day.

The fork is going in because we are well and truly done. 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: