blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:05:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  check-raised by a mouse ?!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: check-raised by a mouse ?!  (Read 2877 times)
temp0r

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2007, 05:07:15 PM »

was playing cash online last night when this hand came up. i passed in a shot and my poker player mates started laughing because they thought i'd mis-read my hand.

no pokertracker as it was round a mates house.

10 handed .25/.50 - you are in for $50

UTG1-UTG5 all fold.
UTG6 - ROCK - raises to $2.50
UTG7 fold.

so to us on the button. we have position on a rock that i've played with a fair few times and have good notes on. i'm almost certain he has JJ/QQ/AK here. his raises are smaller when folded to him in this position with KK/AA and AQ/AJ. for different reasons of course.

BUTTON - we have  and call.
SB - fold.
BB - MOUSE - calls.

FLOP -  two hearts

BB MOUSE - check
MIDPOS ROCK - $2.50

right here i call because i know he probably has the ace with a king. i'm ahead for sure. he may well be betting his JJ/QQ to see where he is. i'm expecting the mouse to insta-pass when he CHECK-RAISES TO $10.

ROCK - folds

and what do you do? stack of $45 against a mouse that covers you who has check-raised? hell i don't think i've ever seen a mouse check raise before unless they had the nuts against a calling station. i came to the conclusion the only hand he could have was pocket 10s. unless the rock had QQ/JJ in which case the mouse may have AA. does anyone really call this raise against a mouse or even re-raise?

--------

for those of you not with my lingo.

ROCK - Tight-Passive --> Aggressive
MOUSE - Tight-Passive --> Uber-Passive
UpTheMariners

We Only Sing When We're Fishing

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 05:40:28 PM »

i dont like the pre flop call with the rock, seems like your asking for trouble. ok you've hit a nice flop but when the rock bets surely you must be raising here? especially if you've got him on ak. if hes got jj-kk i doubt you will get another bet out of him anyway, therefore theres no point giving him a free card on the turn. by raising you will also get information about the mouse's hand. if heres seen a bet and a raise hes going to need a very strong hand to make a play with. a set is most likely to be the mouses holding. imo 

Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 06:12:15 PM »

Hmmm i agree against a rock this preflop call is a bit ropey as this is one of the only flop you like. I fold this preflop, i would rather have sc's/ small pp's than a10o.

As played i don't mind flat calling in position with this hand, especially if rock can get away from aq/aj here as there is little to be gained from raising. The board is very dry and your raise is going to look super strong.

Once mouse raises we obv hate it. His range is very small here if he is a true mouse something like a10,a2 (does he call light preflop?),1010 and 22. I like passing as we are prob chopping this at best. If i could do it in game is a different story.
temp0r

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 06:48:40 PM »

the reason i flat called the rock on the flop is i know he'd put me on AQ/AJ as he knows i'm pretty rocky myself. i don't think a mouse calls preflop with A10 here also.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 09:12:05 PM »

Ur overthinking urself imo here m8. Stack off and expect to be shown 222 a lot of the time. But you will be shown Ak/AQ/AJ/A2 enough of the time to make a pass here ugly.
temp0r

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 09:31:52 PM »

i've never seen a mouse check-raise 2 solid players with JUST top pair...
Smart Money

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 10:36:43 PM »

You should fold pre-flop here 100% of the time. Flat calling the flop is OK, but I think raising is the best option.

Against certain decent players, and assuming they are deep, then I would fold here, expecting to be up against 22/TT.

action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 06:17:28 AM »

mouses arent stupid, don't any of you think that often mouse's us there image to make squeeze plays like this one in certian positions, knowing the table will put them on a set. i stack off here and reload and re-think my pre-flop call for the next time.
Moskvich

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 08:57:25 AM »

mouses arent stupid, don't any of you think that often mouse's us there image to make squeeze plays like this one in certian positions, knowing the table will put them on a set. i stack off here and reload and re-think my pre-flop call for the next time

If they did it often, surely they wouldn't be a mouse to start with? Isn't that what makes mouses mouses, the fact that they don't make this sort of play (or at least, they do it infrequently enough that there's little point taking them on)? There is of course a difference between a mouse with an AF of 0.5 and one with an AF of 1.8, and I think sometimes you have to be careful that what PT tells you doesn't influence your thinking too much. But here I'm pretty sure AT was dead. I'd like to think I'd pass this, though the way I'm playing at the moment I'd probably be reloading.
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 12:05:29 PM »

were still only playing $.25/.50 and i reckon if i was playing that level and had 25 pull ups back as my roll, i may pay the mouse's probable 222 off,
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 12:19:58 PM »

If mouse in this case is  actually just playing selectively aggressive postflop like all good players, then he could be expected to have moved through the levels by now and not be playing .25. 50 anymore.

I stack off here, gl to him if he has me beat, at .25/.50 im not giving my oppo's a lot of credit all the time.
UpTheMariners

We Only Sing When We're Fishing

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 12:56:39 PM »

jsut to add to this how many hands have you gathered to know that hes a mouse? you say you have good notes on the rock but no mention of the other player.

temp0r

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 01:28:21 PM »

i had not played with the mouse before but his poker-edge handle is mouse which i find almost 100% reliable and in that session he hadn't raised at all apart from once on the river. that was from 19 hands played through till this point.

i really don't think the buy-in makes a difference. a mouse is likely to be a multitabler who doesn't make plays through all levels?
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 02:44:51 PM »

i had not played with the mouse before but his poker-edge handle is mouse which i find almost 100% reliable and in that session he hadn't raised at all apart from once on the river. that was from 19 hands played through till this point.

i really don't think the buy-in makes a difference. a mouse is likely to be a multitabler who doesn't make plays through all levels?

Wow if your read is based on that poker edge website, i have changed my mind and am stacking off. We had people on here who had 3/4 different ratings on different sites on that site over different poker skins.
JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 03:17:11 PM »

One of Flushy's accounts is described as a mouse by poker-edge whereas he is clearly a green fish.

I don't think it is too accurate....

"In darker days Jason Robinson found God. But that was after God found Jason Robinson."
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: