blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:51:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Cash Game Hands
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cash Game Hands  (Read 1256 times)
jakally

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2007, 11:17:36 AM »

Hi,

I am primarily a cash NLHE 6-max player.

I play anything from $0.50/$1 to $4/$8, with my biggest strength being game selection – i.e. my main criteria when I sit in is to be in a game I believe I can beat.

However, I know I am not currently a ‘good’ player, and my concern is that, if the soft spots dry up I am going to be quickly less profitable.

Therefore my current focus is to try and patch up as many leaks as I can.
To help this I will try and post some hands on here regularly to see what advice I can get.

Some (if not all) of these may be very standard situations.
This is intentional. I feel like I play most (but not all!!) big hands ok, but get stuck frequently in marginal situations, or don't feel I always extract enough value.

Anyway, here’s three from last week.

(BTW, my game is around 18/14/3, although I do sometimes go into superNIT mode if the situation demands).

Hand 1

POKERSTARS GAME #11264145329:  HOLD'EM NO LIMIT ($0.50/$1.00) - 2007/08/02 - 00:52:31 (ET)
Table 'Mimosa II' 6-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: BostonJorg ($87.50 in chips)
Seat 2: CorpExec ($67.50 in chips)
Seat 3: romy99 ($102.40 in chips)
Seat 5: jakally ($101.50 in chips)
mattbet was removed from the table for failing to post
BostonJorg: posts small blind $0.50
CorpExec: posts big blind $1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to jakally [ Ah]
jdinhou has returned
romy99: folds
jakally: raises $3 to $4
BostonJorg: folds
CorpExec: calls $3
*** FLOP *** [ As]
CorpExec: checks
jakally: bets $6
CorpExec: calls $6
*** TURN *** [ As] []
jakally: bets $14
CorpExec: calls $14
*** RIVER *** [ As ] []

Villain 39/14/0.8 over 50 hands.
Villain is v.passive, and plays a lot of hands, therefore range is quite wide – any Ace, TT – QQ, 78 and maybe a few more.
Value bet or not?
If yes, how much?

Hand 2

GAME #613205214: Texas Hold'em NL $1.00/$2.00 2007-07-30 11:57:52
Table "TURBO" Maliq
Seat 1: vajan ($109.20 in chips)
Seat 3: Pyotr ($116.16 in chips)
Seat 5: KARATEFYLLA ($193.00 in chips)
Seat 6: slabbadan ($218.00 in chips)
Seat 8: busbybhoy ($198.00 in chips)
Seat 10: jakally ($197.00 in chips) DEALER
vajan: Post SB $1.00
Pyotr: Post BB $2.00
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to jakally [   ]
KARATEFYLLA: Fold
slabbadan: Fold
busbybhoy: Fold
jakally: Raise $7.00
vajan: Call $6.00
Pyotr: Raise $20.00
jakally: Call $15.00
vajan: Call $15.00
*** FLOP *** [     ]
vajan: Check
Pyotr: Bet $18.00

Just sat down, never played with villain before.

Whilst his PF reraise could be a squeeze, the fact it is small screams strength.
Would range it TT – AA and AK.
The small flop bet could be taken either way.

PreFlop?
What’s your play on the flop?

Hand 3

GAME #615546686: Texas Hold'em NL $1.00/$2.00 2007-08-01 22:48:03
Table Jelling
Seat 1: ChecKKmate ($287.34 in chips)
Seat 3: jakally ($197.50 in chips)
Seat 5: ice pool ($165.30 in chips) DEALER
Seat 6: ButttonPops ($90.00 in chips)
Seat 10: oreily86 ($241.10 in chips)
ButttonPops: Post SB $1.00
oreily86: Post BB $2.00
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to jakally [   ]
ChecKKmate: Fold
jakally: Raise $7.00
ice pool: Fold
ButttonPops: Fold
oreily86: Call $5.00
*** FLOP *** [ two spades  Two Diamonds   ]
oreily86: Check
jakally: Bet $12.00
oreily86: Raise $24.00
jakally: Raise $48.00
oreily86: Call $36.00
*** TURN *** [ ]
oreily86: Check
jakally: Check
*** RIVER *** [ ]
oreily86: Bet $75.00

Villain 20/15 over 400 hands, and is a decent, winning player.
TBH, I really feel like I misplayed this, with my weak reraise on the flop.
My thinking was if he had an overpair to the board he would push.
When he called it looked strong, and I wasn’t sure where I was.

What action on the river?
How do I play it better flop and turn?

Look forward to some constructive critique.

Jak.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 12:24:19 PM by jakally » Logged
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 11:32:36 AM »

hand 1 I prob check

hand 2 preflop fine, I think you're prob beat here but I would still call and then fold to any further action.

hand 3 you need to decide if you are commited to this hand or not on the flop. if there is a poss flush draw I give them less credit and usually try to get all in with AA here. As played just push the turn.

I like reading raw hand histories but ipoker ones are tough to read unless you change the into , it would make your future posts a lot easier to read  thumbs up
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 06:04:25 PM »

Hand 1, bet 1/2 pot on river, he's way too loose and should be punished.

Hand 2, a lot of rr hands dont include an ace preflop. Im going with a raise here postflop, sometimes it "feels" like they had KK/QQ ant this is one of them.

Hand 3, im happy with how you play this, im ai on thie river if you let it get this far. I would have let him keep betting however, as ur either miles ahead or miles behind and dont want to play a huge pot here.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 06:10:20 PM »

1. I would value bet here, 1/2 pot, against this foe

2. Is that a weak or a strong bet? Into two opponents I would feel it is strong. If you call the likelihood is that you are giving up down the line to pressure, fold and wait for a better spot

3. I think I would bet the turn, just to find out. Facing this river bet I would call.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Tragic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 06:22:48 PM »

Hand one definitely value bet 25$ on river. Expect a call from any non 2 paired ace. Q9 beats you but that's just UL.
Hand two, I think the reraise is a possible play normally here, but not when you have just sat down, settle in a bit before you go making read based plays. This early in the session, let it go.
Hand three. Bet the turn and bet it big. I feel his call on the turn could quite easily nbe a donk playing a flush draw, or someone who is weak and decided to check call an overpair. I think you have this.
Benny Brox

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 10:14:36 PM »

1) A decent pot is building here and you only have top pair so I'd probably check but still expect to take it down. If you bet any more you'll probably only get called with a better hand.
2) I would probably fold here, don't like playing JJ with overcards even on this one overcard board. You also have the checker to act after you who may well be out there to check raise. Pyotr's bet does seem weak but I would need to know the player a bit better to continue.
3) Again taking the conservative approach I would call here, he's re-raised OOP and then bet the river OOP. I put him on a pocket pair with what's happened. He min-raised on the flop to find out if you had a higher overpair. Your call and check on the turn may have indicated that you had AK, AQ something like that. If he thought you had an overpair he may have expected you to bet the turn. The reason I just call is if he is a winning player he could have called your raise with 76s and if he has a pocket could be 99. As in 1) above you only have one pair and a big pot is developing.

It'd be interesting to know what you did and what he had.
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 11:00:15 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys.
Apologies if these hands are very ordinary, but I need to get my basics right first.

Hand 1

I didn't value bet and he turned over A5. Feel sure he would have paid to see.
I feel like I'm way too conservative on the river and am missing too much value.

Been watching a lot of Cardrunners Vids lately and those guys make some excellent value bets.

Hand 2

I fold here (as did the other guy), so I can't tell you what the raiser had.
Just feels weak against a very small bet - but the consensus seems to be a fold is ok.

Hand 3

Irrespective of the result, I don't think I played this fast enough to max my value, against his possible range.
I hate my min raise on the flop, and should have made it more, and I think the suggestion of a turn bet is spot on.

I decided to check call the river, and got shown 22 for quads. Hey Ho.

My fave hand of the week was this one - I need to find this guy more often!

POKERSTARS GAME #11203637570:  HOLD'EM NO LIMIT ($0.50/$1.00) - 2007/07/29 - 17:15:20 (ET)
Table 'Siri' 6-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: winklers ($13 in chips)
Seat 2: TimDawg888 ($107.80 in chips)
Seat 4: stolenbase ($47.90 in chips)
Seat 5: jakally ($183.15 in chips)
Seat 6: rdp820 ($103.60 in chips)
TimDawg888: posts small blind $0.50
stolenbase: posts big blind $1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to jakally [ ]
jakally: raises $3 to $4
rdp820: folds
winklers: folds
TimDawg888: folds
stolenbase: raises $3 to $7
jakally: raises $10 to $17
stolenbase: calls $10
*** FLOP *** [ ]
stolenbase: bets $30.90 and is all-in
jakally: calls $30.90
*** TURN *** [ ] []
*** RIVER *** [ ] []
*** SHOW DOWN ***
stolenbase: shows [ two spades] (two pair, Kings and Sevens)
jakally: shows [ ] (four of a kind, Kings)
shipopatamus joins the table at seat #3
jakally collected $94.30 from pot
stolenbase leaves the table

Cheers again.

Jak.
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 03:34:14 AM »

Think I'm gonna have to make a note of that last guy...
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 12:00:36 PM »

I play anything from $0.50/$1 to $4/$8, with my biggest strength being game selection – i.e. my main criteria when I sit in is to be in a game I believe I can beat.

$0.50/$1 to $4/$8 is quite a spread of games. Usually cash game players will have a level that they play at (or maybe two adjacent levels). I can't remember seeing someone say they regularly play at four different levels ($0.50/$1, $1/$2, $2/$4, $4/$8).

You mention your game selection, which is something that I don't think enough players pay attention to, particularly when a good game changes to a bad one, they're not quick enough to notice the change and leave/look at the lobby for a better game.

What determines the level you play at? Do you have specific $4/$8 players that you look out for and target if they're online? Do you have one level which you play at more than others? I'd be interested in your thoughts on game selection.

Personally, I stick to one level ($1/$2 at the moment, but I never get to play enough) and know the regular players to stay away from, plus a few cashpoints I like to sit with (though, of course, cashpoints don't tend to be long term players).
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 03:02:33 PM »

$0.50/$1 to $4/$8 is quite a spread of games. Usually cash game players will have a level that they play at (or maybe two adjacent levels). I can't remember seeing someone say they regularly play at four different levels ($0.50/$1, $1/$2, $2/$4, $4/$8).

You mention your game selection, which is something that I don't think enough players pay attention to, particularly when a good game changes to a bad one, they're not quick enough to notice the change and leave/look at the lobby for a better game.

What determines the level you play at? Do you have specific $4/$8 players that you look out for and target if they're online? Do you have one level which you play at more than others? I'd be interested in your thoughts on game selection.

Personally, I stick to one level ($1/$2 at the moment, but I never get to play enough) and know the regular players to stay away from, plus a few cashpoints I like to sit with (though, of course, cashpoints don't tend to be long term players).

Yes, it is a bit of an anomally.
I used to play mainly $1/$2 on Stars, but that was getting too tough to profit at consistently (with my game / ability).

I now find it most profitable to look around for good games.
This can be site dependant (e.g Stars = tough, iPoker = not so tough), time dependant (e.g. after 11pm easier than during the working day), or day dependant (e.g. weekends better than mid-week).
I will then aim to play as high as I can profitably.

Prior to this (effectively end Feb) I was a marginally winning player over a decent period (a few months), but losing (by more than I was comfortable with) over the previous 2 months.

Since then I have only had 1 losing week.

I probably still play $1/$2 and $2/$4 more than any others.

Still one of my faults unfortunately.
If I pick a wrong 'un, I am not quick enough to get out of it.
This is normally a triumph of ego over ability.

Do you have specific $4/$8 players that you look out for and target if they're online?

Yes.
There are players who start off at $1/$2 and tilt up the levels, or get braver if they are winning.
Sometimes I will follow them up to $5/$10 but, even though I am rolled for this, I start to get uncomfortable playing at this value.

Overall, I suppose it all depends what you want to achieve.

Some people want the glory of being recognised as one of the best players online / on a particular site / in the world etc..., or of winning a WSOP bracelet.
Some people want an enjoyable game in a community of players where they can chat away.

I play poker to make the maximum profit I can.
The problem I've got at the moment is I am making more profit than my game merits.
I know to maintain this my game has got to get better.

(BTW, I pay $20 / month for the privelige of being a member of CardRunners, and having access to their resources - particularly their videos. If anyone wants one tip to improve their cash game profits then I would say this would be money well invested).

Jak.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: