blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:13:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  OK, here's another one.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: OK, here's another one.  (Read 1310 times)
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2007, 10:48:19 PM »

Situation.

It's the $22 with one rebuy and add on on Stars.  Until about an hour ago, we were nicely chipped up, running around 25k which at the time was just about top 10.   Then I moved to a table where there were six shorties (lovely) but unfortunately there was two biggies immeditately to my left.  Every pot I went into, the big stack to my left would enter then bet me off the pot if I didn't have anything.  This left me not being able to steal the blinds and I didn't get any decent cards to improve things along the way. 

Anyway, he bubbled calling crazy all ins and he did get a bit unlucky a couple of times, but I'm well down in chips and I've only been on this table for a few hands but I need to get moving again. 

My question is, did I just donk my chips off or was it a legitimate play that ran unlucky?  I just think I was unlucky to run into a hand, but I need to ask.  My thinking was that A7, try to steal the blinds.  The caller didn't please me and I was unsure what to do from here so I thought I'd bet to show that I was comitted to the hand and expected him to fold.  However, this didn't go according to plan, but I felt that a) I was comitted anyway and b) I had the flush draw and also a gutshot draw so I really needed to call the bet.

I'm happy to have made the money again but this time I was trying to go for the win.  Had I won the pot, I'd have been back in a decent position but my 'M' was quite low at the time and I had to do something.

Thanks

PokerStars Game #11505103228: Tournament #57898024, $20+$2 Hold'em No Limit - Level XII (600/1200) - 2007/08/15 - 17:18:00 (ET)
Table '57898024 9' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: bid7777 (66060 in chips)
Seat 2: ZeGrimReaper (19592 in chips)
Seat 3: Raymen82 (35063 in chips)
Seat 4: Balla-B13 (18243 in chips)
Seat 5: mossified84 (36287 in chips)
Seat 6: mrrossi (11513 in chips)
Seat 8: Graham0573 (22290 in chips)
Seat 9: Andy134 (7704 in chips)
bid7777: posts the ante 125
ZeGrimReaper: posts the ante 125
Raymen82: posts the ante 125
Balla-B13: posts the ante 125
mossified84: posts the ante 125
mrrossi: posts the ante 125
Graham0573: posts the ante 125
Andy134: posts the ante 125
ZeGrimReaper: posts small blind 600
Raymen82: posts big blind 1200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Graham0573 [ ]
Prez420 [observer] said, "LOLOLOL"
Prez420 [observer] said, "n1 clown"
Raymen82 said, "omg stupid but lucky"
Balla-B13: folds
mossified84: folds
mrrossi: folds
mossified84 said, "i play bad"
Graham0573: raises 2400 to 3600
Andy134: folds
Prez420 [observer] said, "why is it that the tards win so much?"
bid7777: calls 3600
ZeGrimReaper: folds
Raymen82: folds
*** FLOP *** [ Two Diamonds]
Raymen82 said, "dont know gg"
Graham0573: bets 7200
ZeGrimReaper said, "its called a donkament for a reason folks!"
mossified84 said, "lol dont play to make the money and leave urself with 2 bb's"
bid7777: raises 55135 to 62335 and is all-in
Graham0573: calls 11365 and is all-in
*** TURN *** [ Two Diamonds] []
*** RIVER *** [ Two Diamonds ] []
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Graham0573: shows [ ] (high card Ace)
bid7777: shows [ ] (three of a kind, Nines)
bid7777 collected 47130 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 47130 | Rake 0
Board [ Two Diamonds ]
Seat 1: bid7777 (button) showed [ ] and won (47130) with three of a kind, Nines
Seat 2: ZeGrimReaper (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: Raymen82 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 4: Balla-B13 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: mossified84 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: mrrossi folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: Graham0573 showed [ ] and lost with high card Ace
Seat 9: Andy134 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 02:05:01 AM »

Rather than focusing on one particular hand as the issue I think it is important to look at the situation as a whole

Then I moved to a table where there were six shorties (lovely) but unfortunately there was two biggies immediately to my left.  Every pot I went into, the big stack to my left would enter then bet me off the pot if I didn't have anything.  This left me not being able to steal the blinds and I didn't get any decent cards to improve things along the way.

You have just moved tables and have yet to establish an image. You have got some good chips and so it's safe to assume you have been enjoying yourself at the other table popping out raises and winning pots. But it's important not to bring that attitude to a new table...you are starting fresh.

You weigh-up the table and see all the shorties who can contribute to your growing stack and notice the dangerous big-stacks to your left. First hand you show-down should be the goods. If you go through a quiet spell and can't get involved then be cool with that....you have plenty of chips you don't need to risk in marginal situations. And at least you will start to establish yourself as a tight solid player...something that will make stealing a whole lot easier. But the first hand you show needs to send a message out to the field. Then you get respect and life is much easier.

The big-stacks are going to be wary of you too but if you start donking off to them early doors they are going to be ready to accept the invitation of an easy payday. The big-stack in this hand has shown a bit of respect and caution by flat-calling your raise with his genuine hand and has to put you in on an ideal board. He shows a solid hand that's in front and you show a hand that needs to get lucky.

I think you need to take the time to establish an image before you think about stealing the big-stacks blinds. If this means a period of inactivity then so be it.

Of equal importance, we spotted the shorties who pose no threat to us....so why are we getting into tangles with the chip daddies? There are easier chips to be made than this.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Paullie_D
APAT Travel Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 10:11:05 AM »

All good points made above.

You mention
..the big stack to my left would enter then bet me off the pot if I didn't have anything

OK, I get the blind stealing thing..don't necessarily agree with it, (but that's me)....but why are you entering a pot with nothing?

Anyway, to the hand in question....you have half a hand here (suited Ace) and I'd prefer to limp here but if you're gonna steal I think your bet is a little undersized. OK, it's 3xBB but there's another 1250 in Antes to consider.

Then you get a call...Alarm bells should be ringing here! He has position on you too!

On the flop, you miss...let's face it, you only have a draw....What do you put him on?

You say that you bet to tell him that you were comimtted to the hand but what part of the flop are you committed to?

You're obviously not playing 35 (even three diamonds )...your initial raise said that....so, what could you have?

Why not check, he might give you a free card...he probably won't, but you can get some control on the pot size. If he bets, you can make a decision based on that.

I think he read you right as drawing and put you to the test. He's got you well covered and isn't putting his tournament life at risk.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 10:17:20 AM by Paullie_D » Logged

Wait...What!?
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 01:09:46 PM »

I wasn't entering pots with nothing so much, I had a half decent hand (AJ, KQ) to enter pots with, I meant more when the flop delivered me nothing and I only had a high card.  The last hand I didn't play well.  Check/fold was the move to make wasn't it.  As they say, good players know when to fold.

I did well for me yesterday, I only played two main tourneys, this one where I made the money and also the $4k on blonde which I managed 3rd in, so I'm getting there.

Thanks for the input again guys, will be absorbing the information and putting it to good use.   Expect another post soon Cheesy

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 02:20:26 PM »

Posted by: Silo Graham
I wasn't entering pots with nothing so much, I had a half decent hand (AJ, KQ) to enter pots with

Half Decent = Marginal

Half Decent Vs Big Chip Daddy = Very Marginal

By all means take these hands up against the shorties....and once you have established a solid image the big stacks are going to be more passive. But if you kick-off with half decent starting expectations against the big boys things could get nasty for you.

It is good that you are doing well so fair play. Being a bit tighter in this particular situation could have seen you doing better.

Good luck.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 02:31:52 PM »

Yeah you're definately right, I need to establish a table image first don't I.

With regards to playing tight, I'm actually usually a very tight player and am trying to LAG it up a bit, guess I need to work on that a bit Cheesy  Should have paid more attention to the big stacks.

deepreacher

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 05:54:51 PM »

silo, I dont really see anything wrong with how you played this hand. Your Preflop raise is fine imo, limping in late position with these blinds and your stack is terrible - there is just too much chance you take the pot down uncontested with a raise

I would be slightly concerned by the big stack flat calling the button, but once that flop comes down I think its def time to gamble.

Even when he shows u 99 here ur not that far behind. 48/52 or something.

maldini32

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 03:17:33 AM »

nowt wrong there skip, i play it the same.
ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 04:37:26 AM »

Looks ok to me too.

Late pos raise with a decent blind stealer hand, once you hit the draw you were done for (or you get lucky).
I couldn't fold that flop with that many outs and a good chance to double and already in the money.
Keep doing that and you'll be fine in the long run, it's people limping or calling raises with suited aces that are the doomed ones.

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 07:07:38 AM »

Ah nice one, thanks guys.  My main problem was the previous table that left me in the position, but I thought it was a valid move and I just was a bit unlucky to run in to a pocket pair.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 05:01:31 PM »

Ah nice one, thanks guys.  My main problem was the previous table that left me in the position, but I thought it was a valid move and I just was a bit unlucky to run in to a pocket pair.

pocket pair that hit the set. Otherwise you wouldn't even have needed to post this hand as CL wouldn't have pushed. You played this fine though it would have been nice to know what sort of player the big stack is here.
you could have watched the table for maybe one round..but then again..not having an image can work for you aswell as against you.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: