blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:23:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  AA & KK in cash games
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AA & KK in cash games  (Read 2096 times)
deputydawg

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2007, 09:01:35 AM »

Not a specific hand but here goes:

I am on a terrible run over last few days losing over 20% of a five figure bankroll at $2/4 cash with one 10 hand period of losing 3 set over set confrontations with full stacks (having reloaded each time). Anyway, I don't really use PO or PT to track my play but have started to believe AA and KK may be loss making hands for me as I find I can easily lose a full stack with them against sets, when making sizeable pre flop raises c.5xBB or even reraising to 3-4 x original raise in raised pots.

My questions are:

1. In the above situation should I be finding it easier to lay then down after betting out on flop and being called or reraised, and if called betting turn and still meeting resistance?

2. Should I make even bigger pre flop raises to take pot down there and then, only getting likely action from premium hands?

3. Is it better to limp and only continue if you hit the set, flush draw etc like other pp's?

I appreciate that there are many different situations etc. but what do other people do in 9/10 handed ring games. 6 handed I guess are different as a lot less chance of someone hitting a set
M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 09:16:29 AM »

AA/KK can kill you if you get married to them.

Its only one pair after the flop/turn so play it accordingly.
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 09:27:44 AM »

I'm in a bad mood I'm sorry but....

are you saying that you're playing 2/4 with a less than 6K roll. that's too short.

you should know this sort of stuff if you are playing 2/4 perhaps you should move down to 1/2, buy poker tracker/PAHUD and after a few hundred K hands see that AA and KK are your most profitable hands.

100 BB stacks are awkward for TPTK and overpairs. if you have PT and PAHUD you can start to analyse which opponents are set mining nits and which stack off with less than AA. Also you can look up your toughest opponents and see exactly how they play AA.

deputydawg

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 09:40:25 AM »

I'm in a bad mood I'm sorry but....

are you saying that you're playing 2/4 with a less than 6K roll. that's too short.

you should know this sort of stuff if you are playing 2/4 perhaps you should move down to 1/2, buy poker tracker/PAHUD and after a few hundred K hands see that AA and KK are your most profitable hands.

100 BB stacks are awkward for TPTK and overpairs. if you have PT and PAHUD you can start to analyse which opponents are set mining nits and which stack off with less than AA. Also you can look up your toughest opponents and see exactly how they play AA.

Five figure bankroll = well over $10K

I have poker office but don't really like it

My post was to see different ways people play AA/KK, not get advice on PO/PT and bankroll management, but ty anyway
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 10:00:04 AM »

Smiley never was very good at maths, i thought 3 * full stacks was 400 * 3 but you obv had a bigger stack at some point.

do not post when in bad mood [/reminder to self]
deputydawg

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 12:11:05 PM »

the 3 full stacks was just bemoaning my run of bad luck at one point, whereas the AA/KK thing is more a leak/potential leak in my game as opposed to bad luck with the set over set 'nightmare'
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 01:31:13 PM »

Learn to play AA/KK defensively postflop ESPECIALLY in multiway pots.

eg. You are playing fullstack 2/4 and you make it $24 to go with AA after 2 limper in late position. You end up with 2 callers. Flop comes 7 9 10 with 2 spades. 1st player bets 1/2 pot and second player calls. Easy AA fold imo.

eg 2. 6-handed deepstack (you both have 600) 2/4 button makes it $16 to go, you make it $54 from BB with KK, he calls. Flop comes 678. Action on you. You should CHECK here to keep the pot small oop. You now get to read into whether he wants to play a small or bog pot. Giving free cards with AA/KK after re-raising preflop is not the end of the world, it saves you money long term.

I know its nitty, but i actually find reasons to dump AA/KK without a set rather than reasons to play.
deepreacher

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 02:56:56 PM »

Not a specific hand but here goes:

I am on a terrible run over last few days losing over 20% of a five figure bankroll at $2/4 cash with one 10 hand period of losing 3 set over set confrontations with full stacks (having reloaded each time). Anyway, I don't really use PO or PT to track my play but have started to believe AA and KK may be loss making hands for me as I find I can easily lose a full stack with them against sets, when making sizeable pre flop raises c.5xBB or even reraising to 3-4 x original raise in raised pots.

My questions are:

1. In the above situation should I be finding it easier to lay then down after betting out on flop and being called or reraised, and if called betting turn and still meeting resistance?

2. Should I make even bigger pre flop raises to take pot down there and then, only getting likely action from premium hands?

3. Is it better to limp and only continue if you hit the set, flush draw etc like other pp's?

I appreciate that there are many different situations etc. but what do other people do in 9/10 handed ring games. 6 handed I guess are different as a lot less chance of someone hitting a set

this is why 9/10 handed cash sucks imo
deepreacher

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 03:08:20 PM »

eg 2. 6-handed deepstack (you both have 600) 2/4 button makes it $16 to go, you make it $54 from BB with KK, he calls. Flop comes 678. Action on you. You should CHECK here to keep the pot small oop. You now get to read into whether he wants to play a small or bog pot. Giving free cards with AA/KK after re-raising preflop is not the end of the world, it saves you money long term.

I know its nitty, but i actually find reasons to dump AA/KK without a set rather than reasons to play.

I disagree here. You are giving a free card on a dangerous co-ordinated board. If button bets, do you check raise, call or fold? If u call you have no idea where you are.

If I reraise in the blinds v button raise i am betting most flops a reasonably high % of the time.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 08:38:41 PM »

You play at a higher level than me, so you probably don't need my advice, but you're getting it anyway Grin.

You should definitely use Poker Tracker and PA HUD.  Otherwise, you're putting yourself at an immediate disadvantage to your opponents.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
deputydawg

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 08:55:54 PM »

You play at a higher level than me, so you probably don't need my advice, but you're getting it anyway Grin.

You should definitely use Poker Tracker and PA HUD.  Otherwise, you're putting yourself at an immediate disadvantage to your opponents.

As it happens I've fired up poker office today and am going to start using it again but unfortunately it doesn't support mansion, or vice versa, where I play most of my cash
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 08:59:09 PM »

As it happens I've fired up poker office today and am going to start using it again but unfortunately it doesn't support mansion, or vice versa, where I play most of my cash

cough

try your friendly neighbourhood site

cough

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
deputydawg

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 09:05:13 PM »

cough

try your friendly neighbourhood site

cough

I play there as well but suffered a few recent losses and ain't got too many sponds in there now as I have been waiting for my 'loyalty bonus' though not sure how that works - lol
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 09:31:56 PM »

you mean LOYALTY BONUS

It will be with you very shortly for August!

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 11:30:59 PM »

I disagree here. You are giving a free card on a dangerous co-ordinated board. If button bets, do you check raise, call or fold? If u call you have no idea where you are.

If I reraise in the blinds v button raise i am betting most flops a reasonably high % of the time.

Problem is at these stakes you have let your opponent know your hand effectively unless you 3-bet light and are almost always drawing thin/dead if the pot gets big.
Dump em oop to resistance.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: