blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:53:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272572 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Would you have called this...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would you have called this...  (Read 1428 times)
KarmaDope

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2007, 02:44:16 AM »

...playing a 50 freezeout live tonight. At the final break there are 17 left, I'm 17th in chips with 8,500. Work my way up to 41,600, and the blinds are 1500-3000. There are 12 players left, 9 get paid.

First hand after getting all the chips (2 timely double ups with AQ and AA), I get 99 in the cutoff. Raise to 7,000. Button (player who has only been at the table 10 mins, so no clear read) shoves for 21,100. Blinds fold and round to me. Do you call or fold, and why do you make the decision?

(Will post the result later)
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 03:24:37 AM »

I call, im not folding 99 to anyone with less than 10bb's here. His shoving range has to be so tight here not to make this an +ev call and we still have 20k in chips if we lose.

The pot is 7+21.1+4.5= 32.6k and we are being asked to put another 14.1k so getting over 2 to 1. If his range is tighter than ak 1010+ its a pass and very few players are this tight. This player is an unknown as well.

temp0r

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 01:55:36 PM »

i don't understand the raise amount. looks pretty weak i'm not suprised he shoved but like boldie says you can't pass with 2-1. end of the day by this stage of a tournament you need to be playing to win while everyone else tightens up near the bubble.
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 01:58:24 PM »

It's Longy Wink

I'd call too, he needs the chips, but with a raise before him, he's probably expecting a call anyway so he's more than likely got a decent holding from any pair to AceT+.  Make the call and hope he's got 6's or something like that.

GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 02:31:10 PM »

I'd have pushed from c/o!  Makes it a much harder call for a weak ace.

KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 01:56:54 AM »

The result:

I called. He flips A10os! Flop was 8 high. Naturally the turn is an Ace, and the river was another one just to stick the knife in.

I made the raise to 7k as that was the normal raise for the table, and normally was enough to get everyone to fold. Just not this time...and for the record, I bubbled Sad
temp0r

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 02:44:06 AM »

I made the raise to 7k as that was the normal raise for the table

if you do everything the same as everyone else on the table how are you going to create an edge for yourself?
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 02:55:57 PM »

I made the raise to 7k as that was the normal raise for the table

if you do everything the same as everyone else on the table how are you going to create an edge for yourself?

Every hand previous, I was all in.
JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 04:48:52 PM »

This is a definite call for me for a number of reasons

1) You've raised small from the cut off so your hand looks like it may be a steal...

2) The Button is shortstacked at 7 BBs so needs to make a move soon. Moving over a probable cut off steal with anything reasonable, ace-x , 2 face cards, any pair is probably his range.

3) There's 32.6k in the pot and it's 14,100 to call. Well over 2-1 with the probable best hand.

CALL!!!!!

"In darker days Jason Robinson found God. But that was after God found Jason Robinson."
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 04:56:08 PM »

I would like a weak ace to play against my 99.

The problem with pushing 99 is you probably get a fold from hands like A8 - AT, KQ, and 66 - 88, all hands you are ahead of.
7000 is a little small for me, but, in this situation, I think 9000 is fine.
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 07:08:51 PM »

Agree with everyone else on this one.

Firstly the raise wants to be 9,000+ with the 9's...otherwise you get bigger stacks coming in attracted by the value and your hand wont play great after the flop, or you get shorter stacks using the small raise as a signal to pull the trigger as has happened here.

Taking down the 4.5k risk-free is a decent result with this hand.

However, after the other guy pushes I think calling is a no-brainer. You've raised it up with a genuine hand, calling prob gets you racing with plenty of extra value in the pot, and you're not risking your tournament life on this gamble.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 07:11:55 PM »

I would like a weak ace to play against my 99.

The problem with pushing 99 is you probably get a fold from hands like A8 - AT, KQ, and 66 - 88, all hands you are ahead of.
7000 is a little small for me, but, in this situation, I think 9000 is fine.

I'd also like a weak A to play back at me, as long as I am assured of winning Smiley  Seriously though at this stage with 99 I am happy to pick up whats in the pot, and I think a shove makes it much more difficult for a player to call with a weak A in this situation, although now I know his holding I really don't think he would have passed to a shove.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: