blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:40:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Would pushing here be optimal?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would pushing here be optimal?  (Read 1376 times)
pswnio

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2007, 09:27:30 PM »

60 runner tournament, down to 11. 9 get paid. I'll settle for 1st or 2nd.

Average stack is 55,000. I'd just had a flopped straight beaten by two pair that turned into a full house and was down to 35k. Blinds were 2/4k with a 200 ante. I'd only been at this table for about half an hour, and had a TAG image. The only hand I'd lost on this table was the abovementioned.

We're 5 handed and it's my BB, leaving me with just over 30k back. Folded round to the button who min raises. He has me comfortably covered, with about 75k. From what I've seen of the button he looks like a good, solid, aggressive player for whom a min raise from the button would be an unusual move.

I look down and see  .

Do I shove? I'm probably only getting called by a hand that beats me, though quite possibly it would be a coinflip. He will lay down AJ, two pictures, but I don't think he'd min raise with that kind of holding.

Do I call, take a stab on the flop and lay down to a raise?

Do I call and give it up if I don't hit the flop, safe in the knowledge that my TAG image might just see me through a few preflop shoves into unopened pots?

All opinions gratefully received. I think I did the wrong thing in retrospect, but won't tell you what that was just yet.
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 09:32:13 PM »

I would push personally but this min raise from the button is a worry, but generally this move would +ev. I don't like taking a flop here this short.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 04:17:25 PM »

Jamming. 0 hesitiation.
LeKnave

the end of days...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 04:29:52 PM »

insta shove it.
temp0r

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 04:33:30 PM »

online shove.
live is a little different as live players have such shody end games most the time i might be tempted to go for option 3 and jam on any flop i connect well with. but to be fair. if you have a TAG image the min raise from a big stack is just amatuer style bullying. i'm shoving about 75% of the time. i'm not 25% of the time that i know the table is weak enough to can make my chips back quick enough to still have a shot at winning the tournament from this position.
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 04:47:50 PM »

You want 1st or 2nd and to get there you need to play good aggressive poker...especially considering you are short-handed. Any sort of passive style will handicap you at this point..so calling oop is not really an option. And folding is way to passive for someone who wants to win. So you only have one option left...and that is to shove. Putting the big decisions back on your oppo at this critical stage is better than having to make them yourself.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 06:46:43 PM »

Insta shove for me I agree with previous post that min raise stinks of big stack bullying.

TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 11:32:37 PM »

Raise him to 28K, leaving 7K back, looks stronger than a shove...

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
pswnio

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 11:34:29 PM »

Weight of opinion suggests that I did the right thing, then. Ta. For those who are interested, he counted his chips and called with JJ.

I hate the way that poker turns into a sodding crapshoot. Why can't it be deep stacked all the way? Smiley
AdamG

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 04:33:42 AM »

reraise , dont shove, commit ur stack in the hand saying "im not folding this hand" - looks alot stronger.

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=36782.0
Alias' >>> DeeohDoubleG - PokerStars    adamg001/TrustinMe - DTD    Garvey001 - FullTilt <<<
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 10:39:47 AM »

reraise , dont shove, commit ur stack in the hand saying "im not folding this hand" - looks alot stronger.

Funny enough when good players do this i believe them less.........
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 12:33:20 PM »

I can see your point Alex, but I think you need to know the player really really well to class him as a 'good player', I dont like to class anyone as a good/bad player after spending time with them on 1 MTT table, I think you need several encounters with them...

So I still think a big re-raise will look stronger to 70% - 80% of opponents, regardless of how this opponent has played with you so far...

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: