blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:18:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Quick Cash Question
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quick Cash Question  (Read 2148 times)
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 11:27:21 PM »

And i would consider folding Kings a hell of a lot more in MTT's than i would in a cash game.

Why?

I'm pretty much the exact opposite!

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
KingPoker
Complete and utter luckbox

CHAMPION OF EUROPE!!!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 11:35:44 PM »

And i would consider folding Kings a hell of a lot more in MTT's than i would in a cash game.

Why?

I'm pretty much the exact opposite!

Because in MTTS (and STT's) there are various situations where it is +EV folding down premium hands at key times in a satellite or bubble situation, even when you know you are ahead (+ You only get one chance).

In a cash game, unless you are dead certain the other guy has AA, its always going to be -EV to fold or not play that hand strongly (Theres always another reload if you happen to be wrong)

Again im not saying i dont lay down KK pre flop in cash but unless he has given me a lot of information previously (which silo didnt have) then the fold is a lot more difficut here.

CYMRU AM BYTH!    Join my fan club on facebook thumbs up 
Voted Best Arse of Blonde bash 6!
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 01:02:20 AM »

IMO the only merit in 4 betting this hand is to fold to a push.  Limp - mini reraise is screaming aces.  By flat calling the minireraise in position you arent necessarily showing weakness, as if you had AA another raise might lose AK/KK/QQ.  If someone spikes a set in these circumstances then so be it, they hardly had lavish implied odds.  I would rather give an unknown opponent credit these days for not being a maniac and avoid getting stacked off unless I have reason to believe that he grossly overplays AK/QQ.   
UpTheMariners

We Only Sing When We're Fishing

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 01:03:17 AM »

It's always important to specify how many players at the table as decisions often differ from full ring and short-handed games.

If this was a full ring NL 200 (I don't know anything about NL 50 play) then this is AA the vast majority of the times. "Correct" play would be to call the re-raise and fold to non-King flop.

Smart Money

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2007, 03:44:04 AM »

Closer to 9-1 than 25-1, and it would depend on the game but I often fold kings in cash.

Folding KK isnt a problem but calling is never an option.

If silo was trapping after putting him on a hand such as 1010/JJ,maybe then, but why would you call when you are, as a guesstimation, 80% sure he had a premium hand (QQ/KK/AA) so you either raise get reriased and fold or raise get reraised and gamble hoping he doesnt have AA. Im never flat calling a flop when im almost sure he has AA or flat calling him and risking him setting up cheaply with a lesser PP.

(Assuming full-ring $1/$2- as previously mentioned.)

I assure you that my advice is the optimum way to play the hand. As I mentioned before, you can be pretty certain that villain has AA so re-raising/folding to a push is the worst possible option (except perhaps for re-rasing/calling an all-in.)

You are ~7.5/1 to flop a set, but 9/1 are better odds to use because that accounts for your flopped set to remain ahead by the river. (Where on earth did you get your original 25/1 quote from!!?) The villain's [terrible] min-raise is giving you ~21/1 so it's a very easy call.

Having the 2nd nuts here is completely irrelevant unless you emphasise the "2nd" part of that statement. Heads up here, KK should be played the same as 22.

Regarding "And i would consider folding Kings a hell of a lot more in MTT's than i would in a cash game."

This is completely illogical and you're losing equity both in MTTs and at the cash table. Here is a regurgitation from my blog regarding committing pre with KK/AK at mid-stake full-ring:

The depth of your (and opponents') stacks have a massive impact on your decisions. The shorter the stacks, the easier it is to play.

All half-decent starting hands are shoving hands when your (or opponent's) stacks are short enough. However there is an upper limit for shoving with all hands except AA.

Most players are happy to get it all in with KK pre-flop. "I'm only behind to one hand." What if you both had 1,000BB would you call an all-in then? What about 10,000BB? A ridiculous example of course, but it's used to illustrate a point- that there is an upper limit.

AK (and all hands) play better in tournaments for shoving/calling an all-in because the nature of play is very different. The idea is to accumalte chips, so people play looser and are prepared to gamble a little more. Even at the first level of an MTT players routinely shove/call with all types of hands AJ+, KQ, any pair (obviously the lower the buy-in, the greater the range.) So AK is in pretty good shape in most cases- at least, it's rarely a big dog.

However cash is not about being the chip leader. You can't "bully" at the cash table because you have a big stack. The is no advantage to having more or less chips than someone else, so there is no urgency to gamble in order to build a stack- so players are typically more selective with hands that they are prepared to get it all in with pre-flop.

Now, there will also be maniacs and other players who are just clueless. Many cash players are poor because they play 100BB full-ring cash the same way as they see players on the TV playing short-handed Final Table shallow stack poker. If you have this information on a player then you have to factor it in to your decision of course.

On most occassions though, faced with the situation that we have here, you won't be up against a complete maniac or muppet- so you base your decision on your experiences of having been in this situation before and your experiences of witnessing others in this situation.

General I wouldn't want to commit myself to more than 50BB pre-flop with KK. With AK, it's probably around 25-30BB however it's also situation dependent. E.g. If I'm in the BB with AK and facing a 3.5BB raise from a player with 25BB then I'll raise him to, say, 15BB (and get the rest in on the flop if not raised again pre.) However if there's a 4BB raise from the UTG deep-stack and then a raise to 9BB from a 30BB mid-position stack then your decision is much harder. His re-raise here looks strong and also you don't know if the UTG will raise again.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »

Excellent post as usual.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2007, 08:35:33 PM »

That is an excellent post and I will read it tomorrow - I wasn't expecting it tbh Cheesy
eeek:  No it wasn;t full ring, it was 6 handed!  I forgot I thought I'd give it a go
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 11:43:37 PM by Silo Graham » Logged

KingPoker
Complete and utter luckbox

CHAMPION OF EUROPE!!!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2007, 07:35:02 PM »

I agree its  a great post and i stand corrected on the KK.

But the biggest thing that has cut down on my tourney exits/cash profit margins is not to overplay AK, im sure i cant be alone in those findings!

CYMRU AM BYTH!    Join my fan club on facebook thumbs up 
Voted Best Arse of Blonde bash 6!
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2007, 12:13:21 AM »

I agree its  a great post and i stand corrected on the KK.

But the biggest thing that has cut down on my tourney exits/cash profit margins is not to overplay AK, im sure i cant be alone in those findings!

Ditto, but i hate tournies, this isa cash hand btw, but im with kp on this one,

Can i please ask where most of you purchase your crack from?

Dapper Street Menswear
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: