blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:00:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Live Tournament Updates
| | |-+  Pokerstars.com Dublin EPT: Day 1A - Interactive
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pokerstars.com Dublin EPT: Day 1A - Interactive  (Read 38321 times)
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 02:24:32 PM »

It's immensely surreal over here. Heading out in the cardroom, you are greeted by a sea of tables in an open-plan room which I estimate could seat 600. However, on one small side of the room is a batch of tables holding this year's Dublin EPT - it's almost as if we're watching some minor charity event or something. Having said that, within those 9 or 10 tables are a host of poker giants, as Chili eluded to in the previous post, each one now being blessed with an increased stack of 15k in order to cater for the severe lack of numbers. Paul Gourlay is one man who is happy with this change: "I'm a tight player, so it'll let me see more flops and give me a bit more room to play". Truth is, if you get Aces v Kings, or a flush versus a nut flush, the chips tend to find there way in somehow, however many chips you have in front of you.

As I write, I believe I heard the Tournament Director threatening a start within the next few moments, so hopefully we should be up and running very shortly.
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 02:25:15 PM »

I went for the obligatory wonder around pre match and the atmosphere is a little subdued I feel. Not sure if it is the numbers for today, with 80 players seeming to be the number branded about, or just the sheer size of the hall compared to the people in it!  There should be a lot more people deciding to play tomorrow though to shorten their trip here in Dublin.  I'm liking the hall itself, but then again I love rooms with high ceilings.  Please witness:

This point brings up the thread I started the other day about EPT numbers. Surely if they only get about 200 runners here for a venue that can clearly hold more, then the reason for upping the buy-in - to answer demand - surely doesn't make sense. I'm not criticising John Duthie and the EPT as they have worked miracles in making this Tour as successful as it is today, but I do feel a time might come when they will have to consider a drop in buy-in to encourage more players to partake in what is a cracking tournament. It would be a shame if the Tour became an elitist affair.

agreed snoops, or make some of the events cheaper than the others. Or maybe a Smaller EPT tour with 2k (e) buyins
JaffaCake

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2007, 02:26:41 PM »

good luck maria....oh and u cheating beagle. you seem to have forgotten unriper only managed to find a place on the board if you sneaked in the former Brazil midfielder 'rai'.....at least when the mantis makes up words we were playing for bottles of champagne
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2007, 02:27:19 PM »

I went for the obligatory wonder around pre match and the atmosphere is a little subdued I feel. Not sure if it is the numbers for today, with 80 players seeming to be the number branded about, or just the sheer size of the hall compared to the people in it!  There should be a lot more people deciding to play tomorrow though to shorten their trip here in Dublin.  I'm liking the hall itself, but then again I love rooms with high ceilings.  Please witness:

This point brings up the thread I started the other day about EPT numbers. Surely if they only get about 200 runners here for a venue that can clearly hold more, then the reason for upping the buy-in - to answer demand - surely doesn't make sense. I'm not criticising John Duthie and the EPT as they have worked miracles in making this Tour as successful as it is today, but I do feel a time might come when they will have to consider a drop in buy-in to encourage more players to partake in what is a cracking tournament. It would be a shame if the Tour became an elitist affair.

agreed snoops, or make some of the events cheaper than the others. Or maybe a Smaller EPT tour with 2k (e) buyins

Some people are suggesting that the lack of televsision cameras for this event has affected numbers, but I'm unsure. The EPT in Warsaw wasn't televised, yet that event was packed to the rafters and had a great buzz about it.
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2007, 02:35:27 PM »

Could just be the effect of the shedule. So many big comps on fortnightly/weekly even, and we know the effect on the pockets of the bad players running bad.  Its hard for non sponsored players who do not play $10/20 + nl to keep stumping up for these events.
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2007, 02:46:15 PM »

€8k, £5k or $10k. It's too much. Even if you're a good Scandie player going into Barcelona full of hope like so many others and fail to cash in any of the first three EPT's, you're suddenly down €30k just from buy-ins and expenses. It's just too much. In a quest to provide bigher prize money and attract more players from the States, the increased buy-in is actually killing the tour. Obviously it wasn't noticeable at the first couple of events whilst everyone still had money, but without a cash or two people begin to feel the pinch and I really worry for the events in Prague, Dortmund and Warsaw. Also, many people are probably thinking why go to Dublin this week when the Masters Classic is on next week for €3k less?

Chili

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2007, 02:50:11 PM »

This is how Ian Woodley prepares for a major EPT, collecting his thoughts, soberly wondering if this one will be his:

snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2007, 02:57:23 PM »

Not too much action of note thus far, but we can confirm that cards are in the air and hands are riffling through chips. One player who has been more than just riffling is Hendonmobber Barny Boatman. Re-raised from about 200 to 650 on a Flop, our Barny twitched in his seat momentarily before making it 1,650, a bet which resulted in a quizzical look, followed by a hesitant call from his young Scandinavian opponent.

The Turn came , and without pause, Barny tapped the table with a slight air of "Oh, I don't like that card, I'll check and hope you check behind me" (although I think he was trying to act weak). However, after resting his chin on his hands for a few seconds, Mateyboy confidently shoved out 3,350. Shuffling in his seat and glancing back at the board, Barny again called, by which time I think we knew that he at least had the Eight.

Come the River, Barny again checked in a similar manner, at which point Mateyboy bet out 6,075, a predominant chunk of his stack that left just a few bits of shrapnel behind. Knowing that he couldn't really fear a Q-8 at this stage, Barny called with and was both relieved and frustrated to be met by a that was in deep deep trouble until that action crushing Turn arrived.

"Bet you didn't like that Jack," observed a shrewd table companion.
Chili

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2007, 02:57:47 PM »

Seen sat in their seats are:

Dario Minieri (can just see over the table, they are rather tall)
Henning Granstad
Johnny Lodden
Brandon Schaefer
Martin Wendt
Elky

There is a full player list on its way through cyber space as i type, I cant remember if I mentioned it but I had confirmation from John Duthie that there will be no camera's here at all, no feature tables and no filmed final table either.  This will also be the case in Prague & Warsaw.  Not sure of the exact reason but possibly just the shear amount of EPT's at this moment in time.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 02:59:31 PM by Chili » Logged

Chili

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2007, 03:04:24 PM »

Here are some snaps just before kick off:

Pascal Perrault

This guy is none other than blondes George2loose or Rupinder Bedi, who qualified throught Pokerstars only a few days ago

snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2007, 03:04:49 PM »

This is Len 'Fatboydim' Collin, fully zoned in on the game and the task at hand with his fancy shades. I have no idea if he's communicating with an outer source, perhaps one of the bloggers (hey, I could make a packet cheating that way), but either way, he seems intent on cashing this week with his Terminatoresque specs.

Chili

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2007, 03:06:40 PM »

Some Irish talent having a natter, maybe discussing the price of fish:

Joe Rafferty, Michael Muldoon & Andy Black

snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2007, 03:08:28 PM »

I don't need to introduce this chap, but it is worth noting that he is wearing the dusk till dawn gear for the very last time. At the risk of sounding like a poker pimp, come and get him, folks! He does have those seductive 'I'm available' eyes.

snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2007, 03:12:39 PM »

One witness to the previously mentioned Barny Boatman hand was Jon Huckle, seemingly sponsorless today but once a part of the Bad Beat clan I believe. Anyhow, he should be in with a shout, his online reputation as Hamsterboy garnering him much praise, not to mention some good performances on the live circuit with final table appearances in Bolton and Walsall.

Meanwhile, the press room is becoming a vacuum of irritating noises as two bloggers have their laptop volume maxxed up and that annoying MSN bleep constantly badgering away. GRR! Does anyone know the etiquette for such a situation, can I tell them to turn the sound off?

« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 03:14:19 PM by snoopy1239 » Logged
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2007, 03:15:32 PM »

Oh joy, look what I received in my inbox - the good people of Pokerstars, Mad Harper in particular, being kind enough to send us a full player list.

Steindl    Johannes   Austria
Dodet    Daniel   Belgium
Lococo    Daniel   Canada
Mcdonald    Mike   Canada
Georgiou    Phidias   Cyprus
Hansen    Casper   Denmark
Hansen    Christoffer Egemo   Denmark
Hostrup    Carl   Denmark
Musa    Zlatan   Denmark
Rask    Martin   Denmark
Top-Rasmussen    Stig   Denmark
Jackson-Palin    Alexandra   England