blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:40:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  A Christmas story.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Christmas story.  (Read 4654 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: December 14, 2007, 02:31:08 PM »

During the early years of our marriage, Mrs Red and I would almost always find ourselves on the same atching tan (stopping place/camp site) at Christmas. It was a traditional, but unofficial site that we knew as Brenda’s lane. Consisting of nothing more than a small clearing in a wood, there were no facilities of any kind. No toilets, no electricity and no water. What it did have however, was a nice solid access track, and several areas of hard standing. Hard standing is very useful when the weather turns nasty. It’s never pleasant to step out of your caravan and sink up to your ankles in mud. The clearing was only big enough for three or four families, but for us, that was just another plus. We spent many a happy Christmas there when the kids were little.

Most people think that Gypsies park their caravans in a haphazard fashion, but this is never the case. The first family to arrive on a camp quickly locates, and then occupies the best spot, the next family gets 2nd best and so on. The criteria for deciding just what constitutes the best spot, although obvious to your average Gypsy, is never the less often quite subtle. For instance, a pitch furthest from the entrance means that any traffic does not have to pass your door as it comes and goes, and by the same token, a stranger, or anyone who is up to no good will have to run a gauntlet of watchful eyes before they get to you. Being close to a hedge (but not under a tree for obvious reasons) means that you have some screening, and shelter from the wind. It also creates a small private space between caravan and hedge where you can store outdoor valuables. It also means that you can only be approached from one direction, and so the list goes on. Subtle but important considerations, unconsciously calculated in the sweep of a practiced eye.

The best spot at the Brenda’s lane camp was a slightly raised (and therefore dry) area right at the back. If you positioned your caravan right, you had a gorse thicket behind you, and a lightly wooded grassy patch, almost like a lawn, at the front. I always made the effort, and I got the best spot every year except one. Not having the best spot on this particular camp was no real hardship though, anywhere down Brenda’s lane was pretty good as winter camps go.

Our first Christmas at Brenda’s lane was in 1978. Our baby daughter Muzelley was 3 months old. We were very short of cash. Not short to the point of starvation, but we certainly had no money spare for anything extravagant. About a week before the big day, I was sitting on the bunk, looking out at the wintery scene beyond the caravan window, when my eyes lit upon a baby fir tree. Standing less than 3ft high, it was really just a sapling, but it was wearing a light coat of frost and it looked enchanting.

Later that day, I cut the bottom 3rd off a plastic 5 gallon drum and covered it with tinfoil. Then, taking care to sever as few roots as possible, I dug up the little fir tree and set it inside my makeshift pot. It was our first ever Christmas tree, and we loved it.

A few days after Christmas, I carefully re-planted the little fir in exactly the same place that I found it. To be honest, it looked quite bedraggled. It had dried out quite a bit and had lost most of its needles. I didn’t know if it would recover, but at least it had a second chance, which is more that most Christmas trees get.

When we returned the following year, the little fir tree was just as beautiful as ever. Healthy and shiny, with all it’s needles back in place. The only legacy of its Christmas indoors was its size. It hadn’t grown an inch. I dug up and re planted the little fir tree again that year, and for many years after that. It always recovered, but it never did get any bigger.

Eventually the powers that be closed the Brenda’s lane camp by putting huge concrete posts across the entrance. We were very sorry to see it go.

I was passing Brenda’s lane recently and I stopped the car and walked around the concrete posts and up into the clearing beyond. Our little fir is now about 25 feet tall and looks sturdy and magnificent. Off to one side, there is a fir tree sapling; it stands there like a child holding its daddy’s hand. As I looked up at our old Christmas tree, it seemed to say to me, “Well, after all the ups and downs, I’m still here.” “I survived it all and I have something good to show for it”

I turned and walked away, and I whispered under my breath “Me too mate, me too!”

The older I get, the better I was.
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 02:40:19 PM »

Your posts always bring a smile to me Tom Smiley

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 02:48:55 PM »

What a lovely story Tom, it actually brought a tear to my eye.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 02:50:16 PM »

What a lovely story Smiley

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Dewi_cool

Dusk Till Dawn - It's like going home

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 02:53:39 PM »

me too Cry

The very last hand of the night goes to Dewi James, who finds ACES and talks Raymond O’Mahoney into calling his all-in preflop bet of 15k.  “If I had AQ, I’d call!” says Dewi.  Raymond calls holding pocket 66’s.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 02:53:50 PM »

Same here, I'm welling up. Pack it up Tom!

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 02:58:18 PM »

Nice stuff!

Cry

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 03:00:52 PM »

I seriously hope you're considering writing an autobiography some day.  I'd definitely buy one for myself... and many more as gifts.   

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 03:09:06 PM »

I seriously hope you're considering writing an autobiography some day.  I'd definitely buy one for myself... and many more as gifts.   

Laxie, Tom's Parents (Grandparents?) wrote a few lovely books about life on the road - they are a simply stunning read. They include some pics of Tom as a youngster, including, if I recall correctly, one of Tom with his first horse. I'll ty & look up their ISDN reference (if indeed they have one) when I get home, but that won't be for a few days I'm afraid.

The books are rammed packed with little anecdotes of Gypsy life, & are just stunning.

I seem to recall the tale of Mrs Red having her first baby - in Barnsley I think - & still working up until almost the day the baby was born.

Wonderful tales of "real people". Stuff "Hello" magazine, read about real folks, it don't get any better.

There were also some "Travellers Tales" on Radio 4 recently, & it's on the BBC Radio Four Website - Tom, do you still have the link to them?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 03:16:51 PM »

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=28864.msg589863#msg589863

The older I get, the better I was.
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 03:52:42 PM »

They've 3 copies of A Wandering of Gypsies on Amazon, but they're in the second hand - I tihnk if you want it (and the second book) new you need to go to the publisher.

I'll try and find an address or maybe Tom can.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 03:54:13 PM »

The MASTER of "Lifes Tales"

Thank you Tom

humbled to be included alongside such esteemed people - thank you
Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 04:33:03 PM »

Lovely.  Red Dog

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 05:20:13 PM »

lovely stuff Tom.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
Dingdell

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 05:40:24 PM »

Beautiful x x
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: