blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 14, 2024, 02:07:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273019 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The Flying Scotsman
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Flying Scotsman  (Read 5218 times)
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« on: December 27, 2007, 06:57:58 AM »

Seen an AD on TV a few times over Xmas for 1 of these model magazines were you buy the first mag for 50p which comes with the first part of the model.
Week by week you get another magazines which shows you how to continue building your model of the scotsman.

Doesnt sound like a bad idea until you read the small print.

Opening price 50p   remaining weeks £5

only takes 125 parts to complete. So 2 years

124 x £5  =  £620   +  1 x 50p =  50p   so only £620.50 for a model plus 2 years to complete    bargin

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 08:40:05 AM »

Issue 1 free dvd

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 08:48:03 AM »

I've already checked this out.

It's only £4.99 pw. So thats £620.50 - 124 x 1p = £619.26, including the free DVD.

The older I get, the better I was.
barhell

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 01:54:59 PM »

In the small print the motors and track are also separate purchases.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 04:37:20 PM »

I keep seeing ads for this all over the show

they must be spending a fortune on the ads

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 04:42:26 PM »

What a waste of money! It's not even got a Tender, & anyway, the LMS wre always shite. Now, if it were a GWR Loco - say 6000, King George V (including ceremonial Bell), that'd be different.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 04:48:31 PM »

Got the order in with the newsagent then Tony Wink

77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 04:55:43 PM »

What a waste of money! It's not even got a Tender, & anyway, the LMS wre always shite. Now, if it were a GWR Loco - say 6000, King George V (including ceremonial Bell), that'd be different.

What do you know about trains anyway

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 05:28:58 PM »

What do you know about trains anyway

It's not a train, it's a Steam Locomotive. They are very different things, as different as Cement & Concrete, which so many folks think are the same thing.

A train is the Locomotive, together with the rolling stock - be it freight wagons or a rake of passenger carriages. A Locomotive is just that - a locomotive - being the traction device for the train.

Do please pay attention.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 05:31:43 PM »

You passed my test   well done

Indestructable

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 05:36:25 PM »

I allways wondered about football sticker books. How much does it cost to fill up a whole album of stickers compared to just say buying a football book? 
taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 02:10:57 AM »

Happy New Year Sir.

image removed
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 12:52:15 PM by taximan007 » Logged

humbled to be included alongside such esteemed people - thank you
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 04:17:58 AM »

Happy New Year Sir.

Oh my goodness - that's the baby - magnificent. Thank you!

My Grandad Angell fired it, & drove it, & my Dad did too, at one stage my Dad was the Fireman & Grandad Angell the Driver. I have ridden the footplate many times.

She went to America, in the 30's I think, to Baltimore, to celebrate something, & that's where the Bell came from.

The Shed Code (the little disc with white lettering, on the front of the boiler, beneath "6000"), seems to read "82", followed by a letter which I can't quite see, 82a would signify Bristol Bath Road, 82b would be Bristol St Phillips Marsh, 82c was Westbury, & 82d Swindon, & so on. She was built at Swindon Works, so I hope it's 82d.

She was, in my day, always stabled at Old Oak Common, near Paddington, & carried Shed Code 81a. Old Oak Common was where Dad was based, & I grew up on a Railway Housing Estate just a few miles from OOC.

KG5 often headed the Cornish Riveria Express, & The Cornishman, & The Torbay Express.

The Tender was not, as many supposed, full of coal, it had coal on a "shelf" at the top, which the Fireman used to feed the boiler. Underneath the shelf, the Tender is simply a large water tank, providing the water ready to be turned into steam, by which the loco gains it's tractive power.

Water Troughs were strategically placed along the line to enable the Loco to pick up extra water without stopping en route. The driver lowered a chute into the Trough, & the momentum of the Loco did the rest.

Box Tunnel (a Brunel masterpiece) had a severe gradient, & most trains would need a "banker" (another Locomotive) to help them get up the gradient. It was a matter of pride to the Drivers of KG5 that she never needed a banker.

I must go visit her again before it's too late. She's a masterpiece of British Railway Engineering, achingly beautiful. She was designed by Charles Collet, the Great Westen Railway's Chief Mechanical Engineer, who had succeeded Daniel Gooch in that role. He was appointed by, of course, Isambard Kingdom Brunel, who designed, conceived & built the GWR, amongst many other things, including three great Steamships, the SS Great Western, SS Great Britain, & SS Great Eastern, the latter being far & away the largest ship ever built at the time. She ended up being used to lay the first ever Transatlantic telephone cable.

He designed scores of wonderful bridges & Tunnels too, but it's often thought this included the Thames Tunnel, which is still in use today as part of London Underground's East London Line. In fact, it was his Father, Marc, who designed that, but IKB worked on it for several years.

The Royal Albert Bridge, Plymouth, is IKB's, & so is the Clifton Suspension Bridge, though he "only" designed that, & he died before it was complete.

He also designed a brick bridge at Maidenhead, over the Thames, which is still in use today by the GWR Main Line to the West Country. It was then - & is still now, the flattest, widest, arch ever built in brick, & many said it would fall down when the formers were struck. Forthcoming GWR Electrification would mean the demolition of this bridge, & the fight has now begun to preserve it.

Paddington Station, opened in 1853, was also Brunel's creation, & survives to this day.

Then there was the Atmospheric Railway, west of Exeter, which was Brunel's biggest failure, as the leather flaps used to keep the air pressure up in the pipe used to rot too easily.

Bristol Harbour was IKB's, too.

He once swallowed a gold sovereign by mistake. He then designed some forceps to remove it - no good. So he strapped himself to a "shaking table" & that failed, too. So had had himself suspended upside down on a rope - & that did the trick.

He died at the age of 53.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: