blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:31:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272592 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Learning Centre (Moderators: Longy, JungleCat03)
| | | |-+  What areas do you struggle with?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What areas do you struggle with?  (Read 5098 times)
totalise

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2007, 04:39:38 AM »

Hi all,

what we intend to do in the new year is to have a thread each week or so, targetting areas that you struggle with, it will either be in the form of an "essay", where one of us will write an essay, and then the subsequent thread will debate all Q's you have about the essay, or it will be in the form of an essay mixed with questions, where a small essay will be composed, and you will answer the questions, and then the thread will be the basis of a discussion about that particular topic.

What we need to know is what areas of poker, be it cash or tournament, do you find yourself struggling with?  what situations give you headaches? what parts of poker cause your brain to hurt? post in here, and each week we will take one of those topics and form it into a sort of "study group" concept as outlined above.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 03:19:27 PM »

Not sure if this is the right sort of thing, but I have a question about playing AK in cash games (I usually play 6-max tables), and what to do when facing a re-raise, or acting after there has already been a raise and a re-raise in front of me.

Should I be happy to get my chips in pre-flop, or should I play them more circumspectly?  I know a lot depends on the other players at the table, stack sizes, etc., but in general what would a 'good' cash player be looking to do with their AK?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 01:41:37 PM »

Not sure if this is the right sort of thing, but I have a question about playing AK in cash games (I usually play 6-max tables), and what to do when facing a re-raise, or acting after there has already been a raise and a re-raise in front of me.

Should I be happy to get my chips in pre-flop, or should I play them more circumspectly?  I know a lot depends on the other players at the table, stack sizes, etc., but in general what would a 'good' cash player be looking to do with their AK?

6max or full-ring? Full buyin or half?
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 01:43:47 PM »

6max or full-ring? Full buyin or half?

6-max, full buy-in.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 03:36:13 PM »

Ill give you my thoughts Daniel. AK is incredibly positionally dependant, more so than the other premium. Generally (and it depends on the looseness of the table) i will always raise and generally always re-raise. Yes deffo always re-raise pre. If im 4-bet pre then obv it depends on other guys stack/activity level but mostly i fold or jam. I call if the stacks are deep but really i want all 5 cards, AK misses  (flops) 65% of the time. Once you have taken the intiative you pretty well always c-bet, and a big bet too. You are afterall playing it exactly as you would if you have AA/KK. Only exception is if the board is very wet, like QJ9 or Q108. These flops are shitty. But generally if you rep uber strength pre then you do the same post.

If there has been a raise and a re-raise infront of you, i generally fold. I have nothing invested and i generally want a big hand unless there is some intricacy, eg CO is LAG and opens, button recognises and 3-bets accordingly, then you squeeze from SB.

You adjust this basic strategy depending on villain. If he is a huge calling station (cs) then you dont cbet.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 10:40:11 AM by Alex Martin » Logged
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 06:00:44 PM »

Hi all,

what we intend to do in the new year is to have a thread each week or so, targetting areas that you struggle with, it will either be in the form of an "essay", where one of us will write an essay, and then the subsequent thread will debate all Q's you have about the essay, or it will be in the form of an essay mixed with questions, where a small essay will be composed, and you will answer the questions, and then the thread will be the basis of a discussion about that particular topic.

What we need to know is what areas of poker, be it cash or tournament, do you find yourself struggling with?  what situations give you headaches? what parts of poker cause your brain to hurt? post in here, and each week we will take one of those topics and form it into a sort of "study group" concept as outlined above.

Hi,

I would welcome your views & comments on my "straddle" thread.

Thanks.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 11:13:26 PM »

Chip accumulation early doors in tournaments is an ara I struggle with, would welcome opinions on how people accumulate chips consistently.  Once I have a stack I feel I play a reasonably strong game.  I often find that in tournaments its often boom or bust for me if I dont accumulate chips early.

Dingdell

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 04:20:08 PM »

I find I manage to get chips early on then don't change my game (perhaps) to keep them. Do I need to change my game? I'm not sure if locking up is the right way to go, but I would have thought keeping the pressure on is a better strategy - but whenever I do that I end up giving them all away.

So I suppose my question might be - should you change your play as the blind structure goes up?
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 11:40:20 AM »

I'm in the same spot of bother.  Get a decent amount of chips early on.  Then sit on em until it's too late to make moves or make the moves and donk em off.  Timing.  Have HUGE issues with it.   

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 11:09:48 PM »

So how do you two accumulate chips early?  Does it vary from freezeout to rebuy events?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: