blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:28:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272583 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Learning Centre (Moderators: Longy, JungleCat03)
| | | |-+  Poker Book
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Poker Book  (Read 11567 times)
Jedwick

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2008, 06:48:32 PM »

I havent been playing on Stars for very long but have earned enough Player Points to get a book off them, ive never read a poker book before and was wondering if there was any that stood out?

cheers

Anyone know what the plural of Moose is???
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 07:46:16 PM »

there are some excellent pokerbook reviews on the blonde review section.

for me supersystem 1 and 2 stand out.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 08:07:29 PM »

Harrington's books as well are a great introduction to tournament NLHE.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 10:14:04 PM »

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Jim-D

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 10:14:59 PM »

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Do you disagree boldie?
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 11:45:15 AM »

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Interesting I thought Harringtons books were alot better than Super System for No Limit Hold em. Super system is a good read if you want to learn the other games.

Sklansky books are quite hard work and for more intermediate players but have some more advanced theroies in them.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 11:52:30 AM »

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Do you disagree boldie?

No, he just makes more sense when he grunts and growls.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 12:00:05 PM »

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Interesting I thought Harringtons books were alot better than Super System for No Limit Hold em. Super system is a good read if you want to learn the other games.

Sklansky books are quite hard work and for more intermediate players but have some more advanced theroies in them.

I don't like Sklansky mainly because people who read it become predictable for a far while after reading it. Supersystem teaches people an ideology a way to play agressive poker, teaches them a fundamental understanding of all the games and an understanding all the other games which is a great help to your HE (in my opinion) Sklansky is mainy worth reading so you can spot others that are using it.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 12:08:50 PM »

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I don't like Sklansky mainly because people who read it become predictable for a far while after reading it. Supersystem teaches people an ideology a way to play agressive poker, teaches them a fundamental understanding of all the games and an understanding all the other games which is a great help to your HE (in my opinion) Sklansky is mainy worth reading so you can spot others that are using it.

Did you meant Harrington rather than Sklansky?  If not, why don't you like Harrington? 

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 12:11:39 PM »

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Did you meant Harrington rather than Sklansky?  If not, why don't you like Harrington? 

yes I meant Harrington...I apologise.. I'm at work and, as you know, easily confused. Harrington is evil...sklansky is fine but it teaches you to play tighter than a choirboys arse.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 12:14:01 PM »

I think many people misjudge Harrington's advice based on having only read the first book.  I think the second book clears up a lot of what you probably don't like about Harrington (IMHO) - or those who adopt a game that is based solely on what is covered in the first book.

Nilawina

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 03:07:22 PM »

Harringtons books have definately helped my tournament play.

How? I now observe the players (who have read the books) making moves, when their Q or M are dropping and have had the table folded to them. My SB, BB and button play has now become alot more brave to play back at them or extract max value from hands as I know their raising hands have increased in range.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 03:09:40 PM »

How? I now observe the players (who have read the books) making moves, when their Q or M are dropping and have had the table folded to them. My SB, BB and button play has now become alot more brave to play back at them or extract max value from hands as I know their raising hands have increased in range.

And that's the only reason to read them.

Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 03:26:34 PM »

Lol Boldie, has Harrington done something to your personally. They are not perfect books but some of the ideas in them like M and the bits about ICM are pretty good and stuff that beginners will almost certainly not be aware of. Like with any book read it critically and make you own judgements about the concepts in it, Harrington is perfect for this its well layed out there are plenty of hand examples to think about. Just don't take it as gospel.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 03:31:32 PM »

Lol Boldie, has Harrington done something to your personally. They are not perfect books but some of the ideas in them like M and the bits about ICM are pretty good and stuff that beginners will almost certainly not be aware of. Like with any book read it critically and make you own judgements about the concepts in it, Harrington is perfect for this its well layed out there are plenty of hand examples to think about. Just don't take it as gospel.

lol..amazingly I've never even met the good man. I am sure he's a very nice fella but I just can't stand his book and over the past few years a smouldering hatred has been building up towards it..I can't explain why I am as passionate about it as I am..maybe it's because a lot of players do treat it as gospel..in fact that's probably it.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: