blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 07:35:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272644 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Ewwwwww tough donkament hand with decisions on multiple streets
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ewwwwww tough donkament hand with decisions on multiple streets  (Read 4751 times)
dino1980
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2008, 06:36:44 PM »

You say you want to control the pot preflop by not raising. So why bet 180 now? it it a bet begging to be raised, surley a check call gives you pot control and may give you a cheap enough turn. If you do want to bet here then bet a decent amount and it may buy you a free river. The 180 makea no sense to me at all what are you hoping to achieve with it?

The reason I wanted pot control pre-flop was because we are playing over 100bbs deep and I didn't want to play a massive pot OOP with queens at this stage. Now that I've flopped my set even though it's an all heart board I'm 80% sure I'm willing to go broke here.

My 180 bet is all to do with the stack sizes behind me. If I bet out for 400ish then it gives any of the other stacks licence to shove me. But by betting 180 it gives me the chance to shove them and give them the harder decision.

The 180 also IMO gives me a chance to get away from it cheaper if there's really heavy action behind me. I can fold having lost 260 chips and still have c.3000chips at 10/20.

I'm not saying that any of what i've written above is 'correct' just saying my thought process on the hand as it happened.
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2008, 07:50:22 PM »

my line is raise heavy pre flop, 600ish, raise more to negate positional disadvantage.

once that flop hits i'm getting it in if possible and holding onto my chair, no 2 ways about it for me.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2008, 09:26:58 PM »

You say you want to control the pot preflop by not raising. So why bet 180 now? it it a bet begging to be raised, surley a check call gives you pot control and may give you a cheap enough turn. If you do want to bet here then bet a decent amount and it may buy you a free river. The 180 makea no sense to me at all what are you hoping to achieve with it?

The reason I wanted pot control pre-flop was because we are playing over 100bbs deep and I didn't want to play a massive pot OOP with queens at this stage. Now that I've flopped my set even though it's an all heart board I'm 80% sure I'm willing to go broke here.

My 180 bet is all to do with the stack sizes behind me. If I bet out for 400ish then it gives any of the other stacks licence to shove me. But by betting 180 it gives me the chance to shove them and give them the harder decision.

The 180 also IMO gives me a chance to get away from it cheaper if there's really heavy action behind me. I can fold having lost 260 chips and still have c.3000chips at 10/20.

I'm not saying that any of what i've written above is 'correct' just saying my thought process on the hand as it happened.

You're 100 BB's deep for the next 10 minutes or so in a tourney full of poor players who will call with poor hands in the first few levels. This is great..so make them pay.

The 180 bet is worse than the limp pre-flop..you're asking for trouble. I might sound quite harsh sometimes (and I apologise if I sound like a smart arse know it all here) but it's a problem and thought process you simply have to change. To think "I'll buy the pot cheap or fold to any real action" when you are out of position in a multi-player pot is what weak and poor players do when they hold a real hand.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
matt674

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2008, 01:30:25 PM »

(and I apologise if I sound like a smart arse know it all here)

Now there's a phrase i never thought i'd ever read on blonde.......... 

sponsored by Fyffes
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2008, 01:34:46 PM »

I apologise on a daily bases (admittedly mainly to MrsBoldie and mainly in bed but still) Smiley

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
matt674

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2008, 01:38:43 PM »

I apologise on a daily bases (admittedly mainly to MrsBoldie and mainly in bed but still) Smiley

maybe - but £10 says its not for sounding like a smart arse know it all!! Cheesy

(and we will ask MrsBoldie at the next BB Wink)

sponsored by Fyffes
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2008, 01:42:56 PM »

maybe - but £10 says its not for sounding like a smart arse know it all!! Cheesy

(and we will ask MrsBoldie at the next BB Wink)

ohno!

cooker3

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2008, 08:49:15 PM »

Longy said this best but I might as well reiterate it seeing as some of the posts here are so weak tight.
You can't do pot control oop. Pot control only really works in position and the reason is you have final say on how big pot is, oop you don't.

You have third best hand, you want to raise it and in general be happy to get it all in. The fact it's 7th hand in turnament is utterly irrelevant. Would you rather wait until it's crapshoot and you push with some crap on the button before going all in?

On the flop same thing, bet out and do whatever you have to do to get it in. Even if someone has flush then your 2-1 anyway. Stop looking for reasons to fold and not put your chips in, everything about the play of this hand and thinking behind it is weak and resulting in bad play imo.
tantrum
K2o

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2008, 09:35:07 PM »

I would fold pre-flop, the chances of suck out are too big IMO;)

'Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is.'
Francis Bacon
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2008, 09:43:38 PM »

Wow Tantrum..long time no see.

tantrum
K2o

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2008, 09:49:23 PM »

hi, i am alive and well. had broadband issues for a while... and loads of work, I am back, playing again which is  great...

'Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is.'
Francis Bacon
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2008, 09:49:58 PM »

hi, i am alive and well. had broadband issues for a while... and loads of work, I am back, playing again which is  great...

Welcome back Smiley

tantrum
K2o

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2008, 09:53:23 PM »

Welcome back Smiley

thank you:)

Francis Bacon
Moorman1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2008, 09:42:56 AM »

OK just seen this post and thought I'd try and offer some insight on what I would typically do in this spot. Bare with my long winded reply  as its 9am and I haven't slept yet.

OK this is a $50 freezeout and a lot of the players are really bad in the early stages so you want to try and accumulate as many chips as possible. I would re raise to like 420-450 here Pre flop and likely get 1 or possibly 2 callers. If the original raiser pushed I would probably look him up on OPR and if he is anywhere close to break even/a losing player I will call.... obviously we are calling anyone else's shove.

In mtt's you haven't really got enough time to go around nut pedaling so once you see this flop after the way that you played the hand pre flop you still are looking to get it all in. Think of the hands that are willing to get it all in here..... 2 lower sets aren't folding and you are over 95% favourite versus these hands. Aq with ace of hearts (unlikely holding because case queen) isn't folding and just loads of random rubbish that you see in a $50 freezeout is getting it in..... some of it you wouldn't even ever think of; sometimes you are going to be crushed by a 67h type of hand that you have let in for cheap but hey you still have about 33%equity in the hand and this is the WORST case scenario.... I can assure you that in a $50 mtt if you get it all in here you will have far greater than 50% equity in the long run... but please squeeze this pre flop as its just going to be 2 hard to maximize value with your hand with this many people in the pot. You have the 3rd best hand in the game but it doesn't matter if your going to be playing this 5/6 way... suited connectors were made for multiway pots big pairs were not!

p.s I would probably flat call pocket jacks in this spot pre flop but I guess I'm just a nit

Good Luck at the tables.... hope this was some help Chris
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 09:50:08 AM by Moorman1 » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: