blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:14:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272596 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 883 884 885 886 [887] 888 889 890 891 ... 2342 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3606934 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13290 on: November 07, 2011, 09:06:45 AM »

The power of hydraulics is amazing. I mean, imagine a couple of tons suspended on the end of this crane, and then look at the position on the little hydraulic ram that lifts it. (For the uninitiated, the ram is that little chrome bit that my fantastic red arrow is pointing at)

Look where it is. You couldn't think of a worse position to lift from. that two tons must be magnified to 50 tons, but it lifts it as if it's nothing.

The really amazing thing is, it's all powered by a couple of pints of oil and a pump that's smaller than a washing machine motor.

The lifting is by the hook & cable, surely? The "arm" remains static, I would have thought, once it reaches it's optimum lifting angle & position, no? Guess the cable is somehow on a drum, which might well be hydraulically operated, but not via that shiny piston.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13291 on: November 07, 2011, 09:17:37 AM »

Hydraulics

Hydraulics

Hydraulics

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13292 on: November 07, 2011, 09:20:44 AM »

The power of hydraulics is amazing. I mean, imagine a couple of tons suspended on the end of this crane, and then look at the position on the little hydraulic ram that lifts it. (For the uninitiated, the ram is that little chrome bit that my fantastic red arrow is pointing at)

Look where it is. You couldn't think of a worse position to lift from. that two tons must be magnified to 50 tons, but it lifts it as if it's nothing.

The really amazing thing is, it's all powered by a couple of pints of oil and a pump that's smaller than a washing machine motor.

The lifting is by the hook & cable, surely? The "arm" remains static, I would have thought, once it reaches it's optimum lifting angle & position, no? Guess the cable is somehow on a drum, which might well be hydraulically operated, but not via that shiny piston.

Sorry Tone, but no. I've used these, and the operator can choose to lift the load by winding in the cable or raising the boom. (The load on the ram is the same anyway).

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13293 on: November 07, 2011, 09:27:16 AM »

See? No cable.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13294 on: November 07, 2011, 09:31:38 AM »

Sorry Tone, but no. I've used these, and the operator can choose to lift the load by winding in the cable or raising the boom. (The load on the ram is the same anyway).

Ahh, I see. I won't argue, you always know best in such matters, so I'll gracefully acknowledge your rightness.

PS - I think you are unright. If the boom is static (vertical mode, not lateral) , & they use the hook & cable, the load on the ram is less. The hook & cable does the upness & down-ness, the boom does the leftness & rightness. If the BOOM lifts up, then the piston has the weight of the boom to add to the load.

Excuse the technical speak.

PPS - Am deffo not arguing. Just saying, like.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13295 on: November 07, 2011, 09:36:25 AM »

Ahh, I see. I won't argue, you always know best in such matters, so I'll gracefully acknowledge your rightness.

PS - I think you are unright. If the boom is static (vertical mode, not lateral) , & they use the hook & cable, the load on the ram is less. The hook & cable does the upness & down-ness, the boom does the leftness & rightness. If the BOOM lifts up, then the piston has the weight of the boom to add to the load.

Absolute cobblers! (excuse the technical speak)

What happens to the weight of the boom when the cable is lifting? Does it disappear? Is it not still supported by the ram?

You're winding me up aren't you?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13296 on: November 07, 2011, 09:37:31 AM »

See? No cable.

Yes, but where's the relevance?

Evidence ruled inadmissable, you are comparing apples with haddock chops.

The boom CAN lift, but if the cable is used, there is less energy required as the boom does not need adding to the total lift.

Anyway, am not arguing, I'm sure you are right. *

* Possibly.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13297 on: November 07, 2011, 09:41:59 AM »

What happens to the weight of the boom when the cable is lifting? Does it disappear? Is it not still supported by the ram?

The energy required if the boom remains static (uppy downy static) is much less than if the boom is required to go uppy. Weight of boom, gravity, them things. Get the boom in uppy position, lock it, then use the cable. The cable is almost certainly geared via several drums, too, to further reduce the required energy.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13298 on: November 07, 2011, 09:43:08 AM »

Look at this wonderful three way tipper design. the ram pushes from the middle and the body tips to the rear or to either side depending on which anchor points you release.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13299 on: November 07, 2011, 09:50:58 AM »

The energy required if the boom remains static (uppy downy static) is much less than if the boom is required to go uppy. Weight of boom, gravity, them things. Get the boom in uppy position, lock it, then use the cable. The cable is almost certainly geared via several drums, too, to further reduce the required energy.

You don't "Get the boom in uppy position, then lock it"

The boom is held in place by a tiny ball-bearing which covers a hole in a valve and prevents fluid flowing out of the ram.

If the boom were "Locked in place" the pressure on it would still increase when you started to lift via the cable, until you had overcome the inertia that is, then the weight would be constant.

If you were to lift using the ram, the weight would decrease as you got higher because as the boom rises the load gets closer to the fulcrum.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13300 on: November 07, 2011, 09:53:03 AM »

Click to see full-size image.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13301 on: November 07, 2011, 10:00:29 AM »

You don't "Get the boom in uppy position, then lock it"

The boom is held in place by a tiny ball-bearing which covers a hole in a valve and prevents fluid flowing out of the ram.

If the boom were "Locked in place" the pressure on it would still increase when you started to lift via the cable, until you had overcome the inertia that is, then the weight would be constant.

If you were to lift using the ram, the weight would decrease as you got higher because as the boom rises the load gets closer to the fulcrum.

It is possible you could be right. Tell you what, call it a draw, & I'll say no more.

PS - Am not tetchy because I have been up all night, & my flight is delayed & I got ripped off to pay £20 for a crappy Private Lounge which appears to be operated by Welcome Break Mototway Services.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13302 on: November 07, 2011, 10:05:23 AM »

Serves you right. Too good to sit with the Hoi polloi?

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13303 on: November 07, 2011, 10:06:11 AM »

I'm not jealous BTW....

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #13304 on: November 07, 2011, 10:07:07 AM »

Can you tell the difference between the tea and coffee in the lounge?  If so, yer in poshland.  Sort of.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Pages: 1 ... 883 884 885 886 [887] 888 889 890 891 ... 2342 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: