blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 08:04:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272431 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 2339 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3580088 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 20, 2008, 11:45:13 AM »

Have you ever had one of those feelings when you just know that something is going to happen? Well I had one of those at Brighton. I knew that I was going to win it.
I had drawn seat 8 on table 6. To my immediate left in seat 9 was Jim Reid. Apart from that, there was no one else I knew.
Once play commenced, I soon realised that this was going to be a pretty lairy table. Most hands started with a pre-flop raise of between 250 and 350 and attracted several callers. Remembering the old adage “When the table is loose, play tight” I told myself to sit quietly and wait for the right spot, but for some strange reason, I didn’t do it.
Instead, I scared the bejesus out of myself by calling along with any two.

I saw the first flop of the day from early position after calling a 250 raise with J 9os. The board came J 4 7 rainbow and I bet out for 500. Some young gun behind me re-popped it for 1200 and after a bit of a dwell, I let go. So, I had played one hand and I was almost 1000 points down. Not much later it had increased to over 2000. Strangely though, I didn’t care a jot. It was a bit surreal watching myself play pot after pot, prompting Jim to say “What’s the matter with you?” “You’re playing all arse backwards”.

A few hands later, Jim made it 225 to go from utg and picked up about three callers. By the time it gets to me on the bb there’s 750 in the pot and it’s only another 175 for me to call, I look down to find 9 5 of diamonds. I call.
The flop comes 5 5 Q, I check and Jim bets out 600, the other players fold, I smooth call. I don’t know if I could have done anything else to get Jim to pay me more, but I don’t think so. Jim is a great player. He knows me, and he knows my game. My smooth call was like sticking a needle in him. He sat bolt upright and said “You have the 5 don’t you?”
“What would I be doing in this pot with a 5 in my hand?” I asked.
“I don’t know” He replied, “But if you bet too much on the end, I won’t pay to see it”
There was no more betting on the turn, and I made a small bet on the end. Jim paid me off just to prove to himself that he was right.

I was just congratulating myself on recovering some of my initial losses when this little beauty came along. There was a raise of 300 from early position and a mid position caller. I found pocket tens and to be honest I didn’t really know how best to play them. I didn’t want to be against two players, but I was scared to re-raise. I didn’t want to play a huge pot here. I smooth called.
The flop came a delicious A A 10. The initial raiser checked, and mid pos man made it 1000 to go. I did a bit of play acting and then made it 1000 + 1000 hoping and suspecting that he had AK, he did a bit of play acting of his own and after much puffing and blowing raised it to 2000 with 2000 more.
At this point I gave up acting and moved all in. It was only another 2 or 3k to him so he had to call, but he didn’t, well, not straight away at least.
He gave it a huge dwell, and the more he dwelled, the more nervous I became. I had him on AK and I was suddenly terrified that he would spike a K on the turn or river.
With a huge, world-weary sigh, he called and flipped his AK over, nodding as I tabled my tens. He didn’t hit his miracle out and I doubled up.

After that, I began to play very well by my standards. I felt like I was totally in the zone. Sure, I had the luxury of a big stack, but playing a big stack well isn’t always easy, especially for me with my limited experience of that situation. Perhaps it was also something to do with the fact that I had got in on a satellite and didn’t have the added pressure of making a silly mistake and blowing a £1000 entry fee. Anyway, I was probably playing the best poker of my life. Passing when I was behind, betting out when I was in front, and, best of all, winning pots by betting when I didn’t have it, but knowing that they didn’t have it either.

That’s when I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was going to win it. I had over double average already and I was playing like a poker god. This one was mine. Of course, I might chop it, but I would still get the lion’s share. and the trophy. Wow! Even in a chop I would probably still get £60 large. Surely that amount would last someone like me forever.

Then, a short while later, to my total shock and horrified disbelief, the wheels started to come off….

« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 11:48:01 AM by RED-DOG » Logged

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 11:53:18 AM »

This is a great read Tom, keep it coming.

I shall be contacting my solicitors as to the thread title. I feel like I am being violated.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
DesD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 11:54:10 AM »

Liking this very much.  Bring on the aftermath.....
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 12:05:50 PM »

Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 12:07:46 PM »

I'm hoping this will be more than sporadic.  

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 12:08:55 PM »

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 12:54:46 PM »

Reading Toms posts are like drinking a quality Red Wine

Pure Class.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 10:50:08 AM by taximan007 » Logged

humbled to be included alongside such esteemed people - thank you
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 01:36:47 PM »

Reading Toms posts are like drinking a quality

Pure Class.

Surely a 1961, or a 1982, at the very least a 1990 Wink
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 05:17:34 PM by AndrewT » Logged

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 01:55:51 PM »

Chili

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 02:44:25 PM »

prompting Jim to say “What’s the matter with you?” “You’re playing all arse backwards”.

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 02:48:51 PM »

This is all very well Tom but can you just cut to the part where you see an old train that used to chunt through acton station, past a spirally old building which gave you a bit of a stiffy and then declare how blessed you are after hitting runner runner runner runner for the nut flush at luton? After all it's what we have come to expect in these diary type things. Wink

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 03:04:40 PM »

Nice post Red-Dog, looking forward to the rest. Quick question what do you make of the standard of the GUKPT events you have played compared to the standard circuit  main events of today or maybe the past given they are dying out?
taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 03:05:38 PM »

Surely a 1961, or a 1982, at the very least a 1990 Wink

1961 now that was a VINTAGE year 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 10:51:28 AM by taximan007 » Logged

humbled to be included alongside such esteemed people - thank you
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 03:34:55 PM »

Nice post Red-Dog, looking forward to the rest. Quick question what do you make of the standard of the GUKPT events you have played compared to the standard circuit  main events of today or maybe the past given they are dying out?

Thank you.

I thought the standard was pretty much the same as a normal curcuit main event. i.e. lots of big pots and loose lairy play in the early stages.

I did notice a lot of unfamiliar faces who I assume to be internet qualifiers. Beware of these guys, they look uncomfortable, but many have played about a billion hands online and have seriously good games.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 03:39:10 PM by RED-DOG » Logged

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 03:54:23 PM »

I got moved.

As soon as I arrived on my new table, things started to go Pete Tong. For a start, there were at least 4 other players with big stacks. No longer was I in the envious position of having everyone at the table covered. To add insult to injury, the 12 year old to my immediate left, (that's him in pic no 2 http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=30572.msg629407#msg629407) was caked up, and bristling with confidence and aggression.
I decided to fight aggression with aggression, considering the fact that I was in such good shape so early in the competition, and that I didn’t know this player from Adam, this was probably not the wisest decision I have ever made. Cue clash # 1

The action was folded around to me in the small blind; I had AK and made a small raise, which he called immediately. The flop came K 4 9 and I made a pot sized bet which he smooth-called. Alarm bells were beginning to tinkle in some far distant mental corridor, but I was too focused on stamping my authority on this whippersnapper to take proper notice. The turn came a blank, and I fired out with a hefty, but uncounted bet. He moved over the top for all his chips and now the alarm bell was beating against my forehead, Dong! Dong! Donk!
I passed quickly. He later told me that he had K4, and I believe him.
When the smoke cleared, I did a quick count and was horrified to find that crossing swords with Von Smallhausen had left me with egg on my face and a 5k hole in my stack.

Not to worry though, I told myself. You’re still in semi nosebleed territory chip wise; keep your foot on the pedal.

Later that same orbit, I lifted the corner of my cards and saw pocket tens for the second time that day. I glanced across the table and saw the proxy dealer looking back at me with a “Go on, I dare you” expression”
I knew, I just knew that if I raised his button, he would re-raise me, but what else could I do? I wasn’t about to throw my 10s away, and I wasn’t flat calling. I decided there and then that if he did re raise me, I was going to push all in. He couldn’t possibly call me then, unless by some miracle he woke up with aces or kings.
With blinds at 100/200, I made it 750 to go. “Re raise” he announced, as I knew he would. “1500 more”
So, according to my master plan, this was where I would push all in. I tried to do it, I really did, but I just couldn’t.
My conservative nature drew itself up to its full height and threw a bucket of icy water over me. Then it grabbed me by the shoulders and shouted into my face “WTF do you think you are doing, have you gone mad?” “You still have about 18000 chips behind, surely you can find a better spot”
Relived that I didn’t have to take such a massive risk, I flat called the 1500 and we saw a 9 high flop with two clubs. I bet out for 2k and he called quickly. A blank on the turn and we go check check. The river is a J of Diamonds. I check and he bets 1500. I feel I have to call, and he shows the A J of clubs.
The hole in my stack is getting bigger by the moment…. Two hands later, pocket queens…….

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 2339 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: