blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:18:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Live Tournament Updates
| | |-+  Bluesq.com GUKPT Brighton FINAL DAY: At A Glance
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bluesq.com GUKPT Brighton FINAL DAY: At A Glance  (Read 14172 times)
danafish

banjos!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 04:05:21 PM »

By the way, I had a quick word with unlucky ninth-placer Robert Cowen just now. "Do you mind if I take a photo?" I said. "Sure," he replied, "Would you like one of me crying?" He doesn't look too upset though; he said he Quadded (a real word) someone else earlier in the tournament with pocket Fours, so it was a kind of divine justice in ways.

Also, he's not, as we thought, a local, but is actually a student from Swansea who got into Hold 'Em through, unusually, playing live seven card stud for fun. He bought straight into this event "to see what would happen," and is now planning to play the rest of the tour as they are such good value. GG, Robert.
JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 04:13:02 PM »

At 6k/12k with a running 1k ante there is 25k in the pot preflop, which is a nice chunk to take down and the aggressive players will no doubt be keen to get their sticky little mitts on some of these chips.

Julian leads the way raising to 36k from the sb on Marcus' big blind. Marcus quickly passes and Julian casually throws his cards into the muck...Probably aces...

Next hand Marcus limps from the small blind, only to find Michael Bolger applying the requisite limpers tax, raising an additional 40k. Marcus wants no part of this aand throws his cards away...

"In darker days Jason Robinson found God. But that was after God found Jason Robinson."
JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 04:27:34 PM »

Nik on the small blind moves all in for his dwindling maybe-100k stack against Julian's big blind. Julian folds. "He said call!" protests Nick, which is a lie. "In your mind," says the commentatey announcey guy whose name I have forgotten - you know, Mr "'Ere Coom Them Caaards".

Very rough chip counts:

Marcus B-J (tee hee!) - 140k
Julian - 350k
Nik - 100k
Jim Reid - 700k
Joe Grech - 400k
Karim - 550k
Michael Bolger - 350k

"In darker days Jason Robinson found God. But that was after God found Jason Robinson."
JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 04:36:05 PM »

Dana here, posting Final Tableside (those were my chipcounts too; now Junglecat owes me a pun):

Obviously, the second I post chip counts they're just all wrong.

Jim Reid found himself betting 60k preflop. Marcus B-J finds himself moving all in for that probably-around-140k.

Jim now finds himself squirming with a big decision to make. "Maybe I should fold I'm hoping I'm racing, you see." He calls anyway.

B-J -

Reid -  domination

Board - Two Clubs two hearts now 'ere cooms that caaaard

So it may be hard for B-J to swallow but he's OUT (Junglecat, all debts are paid!) ie. Marcus Bebb-Jones finished in 7th place, winning £11,200. WP, sir.

Photos to follow as soon as uploaded...

JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 04:49:07 PM »

Michael has been getting busy with mixed success. Calling a riase from Jim Reid of 36k, he found Joe Grech (whose bright red shirt is quite a marvel to behold) re-raising behind to 130k. joe's squeeze proved successful as both Jim and Michael passed...

Michael was in no mood to slow down though and raised the next hand to 42k. Karim now woke up and re-raised him to 100k. Michael chewed his gum pensively before passing showing an Ace. Karim flipped an attractive pair of ladies over and augmented his stack. Karim is slowly rising to the top...

Joe Grech raises it up on Karim's big blind to 36k but finds Michael pushing his dwindling stack allin behind. Joe starts to think....

"Call, if you want to come from behind" suggests Michael, which arouses the interest of Flushy, who is watching from the rail.

"Just want to make you sweat a bit " laughs Joe before passing

Nik Persuad jsut played a big pot. Limping from the small blind on Julian's BB, Julian checked.

The flop came Two Diamonds . Nik checked to Julian who bet 25k...Nik now check raised ALLIN for his remaining just-over-100k stack.

Julian quickly called, showing J-2 for a flopped two pair. Nik wasn't dead though, holding for an open ended straight draw.

The turn was the and the river....

THE , giving Nik one pair but not enough to beat Julian's Jacks and Twos, meaning...

Nik Persaud is OUT, eliminated in 6th spot, winning £14,000.

JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 05:04:21 PM »

Karim Louis has been very busy during the last level, and appears to be picking on Michael Bolger a little.

After Michael raises to 45k from the cut-off, Karim, not for the first time, quickly repops to 90k. Michael is no doubt sick of this and calls the additional 45k.

The flop comes and Michael checks, finding Karim betting 150k behind him. Michael chews his gum for all he's worth but can't find salvation in his juicy fruit and passes, forced out by Karim's aggression yet again.

Next hand Karim raises again to 45k and is rewarded with the blinds as everyone passes...

On his big blind now, Karim faces a raise from Julian on the button...

"I should reraise!" he says before calling...

The flop comes .

Check, check.

TURN:

Check check

RIVER:

Karim now bets 40k.

Julian looks puzzled..."Have you got the ace?" he asks, to which Karim replies "NO!"

"I can beat King high!" he suggests optimistically but Karim is giving nothing up and Julian eventually passes. Karim mysteriously shows the before being overcome by the urge to show off and flips the too, for a flopped set. Julian slipped away with minimal damage though.

We are on a short break for the players to gather their thoughts and strategies but will return to join the fray shortly...

JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2008, 05:04:55 PM »

Karim Louis has been very busy during the last level, and appears to be picking on Michael Bolger a little.

After Michael raises to 45k from the cut-off, Karim, not for the first time, quickly repops to 90k. Michael is no doubt sick of this and calls the additional 45k.

The flop comes and Michael checks, finding Karim betting 150k behind him. Michael chews his gum for all he's worth but can't find salvation in his juicy fruit and passes, forced out by Karim's aggression yet again.

Next hand Karim raises again to 45k and is rewarded with the blinds as everyone passes...

On his big blind now, Karim faces a raise from Julian on the button...

"I should reraise!" he says before calling...

The flop comes .

Check, check.

TURN:

Check check

RIVER:

Karim now bets 40k.

Julian looks puzzled..."Have you got the ace?" he asks, to which Karim replies "NO!"

"I can beat King high!" he suggests optimistically but Karim is giving nothing up and Julian eventually passes. Karim mysteriously shows the before being overcome by the urge to show off and flips the too, for a flopped set. Julian slipped away with minimal damage though.

We are on a short break for the players to gather their thoughts and strategies but will return to join the fray shortly...

danafish

banjos!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2008, 05:12:46 PM »

Chip counts at the break (not rough, we got them off Jon Raab):

karim 830k
bolger 265k
thew 536k
grech 505k
reid 760k
JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 05:33:54 PM »

Karim limps on the button, Joe Grech completes and Jim checks his option.

The flop comes out Ah .

Joe checks, Jim checks and Karim bets 35k...Joe calls...

TURN: .

Joe checks, Karim bets 40k, Joe calls.

RIVER:

Joe checks and Karim also checks.

Joe shows an ace with what looks like a 3 for top pair but Karim shows three clubs for trip fours and takes down the pot...

Missed value bet there?

Still Karim soldiers on and increases his chip lead yet further...

JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2008, 05:41:30 PM »

It is true that the GUKPTs are no longer being televised as a matter of course. I think I heard some kind of rumour that one or two of them might end up somewhere on or near your TV screens, but it deifintely won't be in the same format as last year. I think it's mainly down to the frankly shocking cost of getting a whole TV crew down. Such is the world we live in.

It doesn't seem to have affected numbers though - a very excellent turnout here in Brighton, and the familiar GUKPT party-atmosphere buzz remains, Cheeky Vimtos notwithstanding. If you're gagging to pretend you were there, I believe the Bluesquare site has some video - interviews, highlights, etc, as does AWOP. There are definitely people lurking with video cameras, just not a full-on TV crew.

JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2008, 05:51:20 PM »

Joe Grech has upped the aggression.

After Karim limps form the SB to his BB, Joe pops it up 50k and Karim passes 4-4 after dwelling a while...

Next hand Michael bolger limps from the cutoff, Karim completes and now Joe raises it up again 54k. Both pass and Joe shows three diamonds nonchalantly, perhaps announcing "PWNED" within the confines of his own thoughts...

Julian finally stops the one way traffic from Grech though.

After raisiing preflop to 54k and being called by Joe the flop of 6-7-Q is checked by both players.

The turn is the and Julian now fires out 60k after Joe checks. Joe passes and is shown T-T by Julian...

JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2008, 06:01:26 PM »

A Michael Bolger riase to 40k on Julian's BB is passed round to Julian.

With an almost magesterial wave of his hand, Julian announces allin. Bolger chews and chews before saying "I'll lay it down"...flashing an ace...

Julian flashes A-K...

JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2008, 06:27:49 PM »

Michael raises to 40k from the cutoff and Joe Grech calls from the small blind...

FLOP:

Joe checked and Michael bet out 40k, which Joe called.

The turn was the

Check, check...

RIVER: ...

Joe picks up some chips as if to bet, but then taps the top of his stack to indicate a check.

Michael now bets out 80k, and Jow doesn't like it but passes...

Michael shows 8-9 for a missed straight draw bluff on the river. He looks very pleased wiuth himself after getting pushed about by Joe earlier...

Joe and Michael are at it again...

After Joe raises preflop on Michael's big blind...JMichael calls.

The flop comes out three diamonds .

Michael checks and Joe bets out 40k or so....Michael now check raises allin for at least 200 more and he has Joe covered at this stage...

Joe shakes his head, ponders and considers before finally....CALLING!

Joe shows Two Clubs for top pair and a brave call, whilst Michael shows the draw-tastic for 2nd pair and a flush draw.

The turn is the , limiting Michael's outs, but the river comes the , completing Michael's flush to deafening cheers from the crowd! He's a popular figure for sure!

As he had Joe covered this means...

Joe Grech is OUT, eliminated in 5th spot for £16,800

Those two have had their battles on the final table, but Michael eventually prevailed. Nonetheless congratulations to Maltese Joe, who put in a good performance all tournament...

JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2008, 06:32:44 PM »

Jim just played an exciting hand with Julian. Raising to 40k ish on the button, Julian re-raised to 100k ish and Jim prettty much immediately moved allin!

Julian thought for ages and ages before passing 9-9. The cheeky monkey Jim showed a very well played Q-T! Brave move, but it paid off and Jim adds a nice chunk to his stack...

JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2008, 06:39:39 PM »

At 10k 20k with 1k ante the 34k in the pot preflop means there is a lot of dead money there waiting to be taken...

Julian  just played out a big pot.

Michael Bolger and Julian both saw a flop. Julian bet out and was called by the initially checking Michael...

The turn is the ...CHECK CHECK

RIVER: ...

Michael checks and Julian now bets out 60k...Michael considers what to do, chewing his gum as usual and this time the hubba bubba gods tell him to call, so call he does, showing just a pair of with 5-9...

Julian however has already mucked by this point, indicating a complete bluff...

WP Michael...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: