blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:44:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Best of blonde
| | | |-+  Julian Thew: "in the well"
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Julian Thew: "in the well"  (Read 87916 times)
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2008, 03:07:28 PM »

Orite julian. My question wat happened to you in walsall 300 last time i say u you had plenty chips next thing you was gone? I was sitting next 2 you the one with the beard. Second question how do u think i played and any tips of how i could improve?

hjey singhee,
i'm glad you reminded me of that lol,
i called of 20k at 200/400 in 2 hands;
1st hand at new table i raised w aq, maz rr from sb, i called obv. all rags he bet 4k on turn, i called, check, check river, lose to ak.
5 mins. later limp w 99, call a raise & check called my stack off on the 3 streets, 8 high board - actually 10 hit river, he had 10-10.
now that might look a wee bit fishy if you haven't been around the block a time or 2, but i can assure you, calls like that border on world class ok.
btw i thought you played pretty solid & pretty good - i hope you won it!
how can you improve? just play more, watch the players you think are good & learn.
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2008, 03:13:50 PM »

Thaks a bunch for answering these questions Julian, very kind of you.

Have you ever suffered long-term downswings or "ran bad" for long stretches of time? If so, how do you combat this and refocus your efforts on winning again?

np alex,
it's been both fun & thought provoking.
i've always ran pretty good & the worst spell was a 5 month patch last year...but because i'm sponsored i was able to just ride it thru - william hill have always been very good in that they never once put any performance pressure on me or on steve & xuyen when they were on the team.
pressure built at home during that time & the inevitable self doubts did creep in but the self belief & persaverance was there & that got me thru in the end.
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2008, 03:16:19 PM »

Hi Julian

1/ you have taken stick for your man bag.  what do you keep in it and why?

2/ are you still playing online cash?

3/ what is it that tells you this is the perfect time to resteal with no hand?

4/ what do you do after playing a tourny  do you review your play in anyway?

5/ you are in a restaurant, someone else is paying the bill, the waiter hands you the wine list, where do you start?

Thanks in advance  jim

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2008, 03:57:09 PM »

Hi,
Just a few random questions.

Whats your favourite Holiday destination, with the family not poker related?

Do you like Indian food, is so whats your favourite curry?

I know you have been a consistant winner on the live circuit but how do your online results stand in comparision (Cash & Tourney)

Thanks.

Can i please ask where most of you purchase your crack from?

Dapper Street Menswear
Singheee

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2008, 06:12:03 PM »

Thanks for the nice reply. It was a pleasure playing with you. When i got moved table i made a few of the "world class calls" as well and went down to 12k but then after playin like a donkey for 15mins i managed to up my game and get paid from a couple of hands. Came back on the 2nd day with 38k but didnt pick up many hand sneeked into the money and then  my 10 10 was no good against A Q all in pre-flop. Got £540 keeps the bankroll goin hopefully c u at the GUkPT london.
iorek

I find you very, very, attractive.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: February 17, 2008, 05:32:45 PM »

Hi Julian,

Just got back from a week of snowboarding with my son (yesterday), in time to bubble in the £300 FO at Walsall last night.

Having spent a happy hour reading this blog I thought I might try and glean some info from you.

Having had some success (in 21 months) and loving the game more with profit at the end of the month, what way or ways would you advise a prodominantly live (well read, 25+ books) tournament player might try to improve?

Cheers,

Marcus

I am looking forward to the idea of Colorado State Prison.
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: February 17, 2008, 08:00:51 PM »

Julian, got another one for you:

First level of a deep-stack tournament with a decent blind structure.

You have KK.

You don't know any of your opponents, and you have no idea how any of them play.

Someone raises to 200 (4xBB), you make a standard re-raise - they shove all-in making it 10,000 total.

Call or fold?

the book says fold i'm sure - prob 50/50 for me, depends on the opponent & my feel for the situation
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2008, 08:07:35 PM »

Julian, I'm reading this thread backwards Smiley so apologies if this has been asked already...do you think it is possible in the UK to be a tourny pro without a sponsorship deal?

Now Im off to read the thread all the way through Smiley

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2008, 08:31:16 PM »

You have KK.

You don't know any of your opponents, and you have no idea how any of them play.

Someone raises to 200 (4xBB), you make a standard re-raise - they shove all-in making it 10,000 total.

Call or fold?

the book says fold i'm sure - prob 50/50 for me, depends on the opponent & my feel for the situation

OK, thanks.

So with no read, and no knowledge of the players (say it's the first hand of the tourney and you don't know anyone at the table), you call or fold?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2008, 11:54:14 PM »

You have KK.

Call or fold?

OK, thanks.

So with no read, and no knowledge of the players (say it's the first hand of the tourney and you don't know anyone at the table), you call or fold?

LOL give the man a break Daniel. He cant say yes or no for the reasons he stated. If the guy is munching an Oreo cookie, its a call for sure!!!!!!
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2008, 12:13:31 AM »

You have KK.

Call or fold?

OK, thanks.

LOL give the man a break Daniel. He cant say yes or no for the reasons he stated. If the guy is munching an Oreo cookie, its a call for sure!!!!!!

LOL, I usually call and tell Matt how I got busted with kings against Aces. Or suckout.

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
Milkybarkid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2008, 09:15:48 AM »

Yo Julian

You are at an important stage in a big tournament. Two tables of six players left and first prize is $1 million. You are in the BB and everyone folds to the SB. He raises it up and you call with QK suited. By chance when you glance over at him you see his hole cards are 82 off. The flop comes 297 and he now bets about 15% of his stack and you have him covered. What do you do? (you also know this guy from playing on the circuit and often have a few drinks at the bar with him)

julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2008, 10:08:02 PM »

Hi Julian

1/ you have taken stick for your man bag.  what do you keep in it and why?

2/ are you still playing online cash?

3/ what is it that tells you this is the perfect time to resteal with no hand?

4/ what do you do after playing a tourny  do you review your play in anyway?

5/ you are in a restaurant, someone else is paying the bill, the waiter hands you the wine list, where do you start?

Thanks in advance  jim

hey jim,
1. the handbag is an essential part of leaving the house...baby wipes, rusks, ipod & headphones...it's all the rage hangin with the mums at the park you know.
2. i haven't played much online at all this year, cash or otherwise, i'm sure i'll give it a bash again at some point tho, so hang around yeah...
3. blind faith & enough chips to gamble with.
4. as i mentioned on another thread, i used to keep copious notes a few years back - nowadays tho, depending on the embarrassment levels involved i'll either mull it over or pretend it never happened.
5. my dream scenario; offer it back to the host, if they motion it's up to me i won't dissappoint.
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2008, 10:20:58 PM »

Hi,
Just a few random questions.

Whats your favourite Holiday destination, with the family not poker related?

Do you like Indian food, is so whats your favourite curry?

I know you have been a consistant winner on the live circuit but how do your online results stand in comparision (Cash & Tourney)

Thanks.

hey tractor,
1. pre-kids we used to rent a little cottage for a couple of summer weeks in provence...beautiful.
2. i'm afriad it's a starter+double main combo, prawn purree + lamb madras/chicken tikka masala, peshwari nan, pilau rice...mmmm.
3. not consistant i'm afraid...i struggle when i mix live & online & my predominant focus now is the live game.
i've won the who's the daddy on laddies & the sunday 40k on william hill & pre-sponsorship i won a poker million & an aussie millions package.
i was break even at best until last year when i dropped 11k.
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2008, 10:31:14 PM »

Hi Julian,

Just got back from a week of snowboarding with my son (yesterday), in time to bubble in the £300 FO at Walsall last night.

Having spent a happy hour reading this blog I thought I might try and glean some info from you.

Having had some success (in 21 months) and loving the game more with profit at the end of the month, what way or ways would you advise a prodominantly live (well read, 25+ books) tournament player might try to improve?

Cheers,

Marcus

hey marcus...sounds like fun,
the best way to improve is to either rail & watch, or play with better players...that prob means spreading your wings a bit; maybe try & pick one or two festivals abroad - your'e bound to see some stuff that you like or get some ideas, take it home with you, digest & incorporate.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: