blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:22:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272582 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Pick your five against the field for next week's GUKPT
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pick your five against the field for next week's GUKPT  (Read 9786 times)
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2008, 12:31:03 PM »

prices on blue square

I'll take the following...
Nik Persaud (150-1), two final tables from two this year, class act and deserves a big win
Kevin O'Leary (200-1), should be among the 100-1 shots imo
Jeff Buffenbarger (200-1), always has the potential to get a huge stack early and utterly fearless
Rob Garfield (200-1), has been among the 150-1ers for the first two events and not sure why he's drifted for this one
Graham Wheldon (prices on application), different class this fella

Apologies for the Luton bias but ho hum

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
ariston

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 02:54:28 PM »

I will go for the bubble, nick salad, womble, Mick Fletcher and myself

blackpool raiding party will be there or thereabouts at the end
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 02:57:25 PM by ariston » Logged

ariston

better lucky than good
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 04:29:12 PM »

prices on blue square

Nik Persaud (150-1), two final tables from two this year, class act and deserves a big win
Jeff Buffenbarger (200-1), always has the potential to get a huge stack early and utterly fearless
Rob Garfield (200-1), has been among the 150-1ers for the first two events and not sure why he's drifted for this one

you put too much faith in the Luton boys methinks Wink

Nik Persaud has the pedigree and CV to warrant being sponsored i reckon. If i was a big cheese id be snapping him up.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 04:42:46 PM »

Jen Mason
Rob Taylor
Neil Channing
Roberto Rommanello
Me (lol)
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 04:54:49 PM »

little miss c, chili, pete linton, big desi, nik hicks & me,
oh that's 6...well 5 of them then.

slim pickings for the blackpool posse that far south imo  police
AlrightJack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 05:26:48 PM »

I agree with you that Nik is an excellent player - he's been knocking at the door for quite a while and it surely won't be long before it stays ajar long enough to let him get past the threshold.  However, on the issue of sponsorship - and really this is not about Nik, but about the whole sponsorship thing in general. There is far too much expectation amongst players to be sponsored. In a few years time sponsorships will be a thing of the past - not enough value for sponsors, it costs too much, too little return and marketing money can be better spent in other ways.

Pokerstars have their team of players, largely designed to ensure they have a presenece within the poker communities of as many countries as possible.

Full Tilt have lots of big names and this strategy was designed in part to give them some cut through in their ad campaigns, given that they were relatively late to market, compared with the other big sites.

Betfair, Blue Square, Ladbrokes, William Hill and other companies also have sponsorship programs, to varying degrees. I was largely responsible for getting the Blue Square one off the ground and our current sponsored players are Mickey Wernick, Praz Bansi, Karl Mahrenholz and Kevin O'Leary.

However, if the clock were tunred back three years I probably would not set it up again. This is not because the program has been disappointing - far from it - all of our players have enabled Blue Square to have constant exposure in the poker press over the last few years and this has been good for the company, however, the poker press is a tiny market place and sponsoring players has little impact on getting coverage in the wider press. The only sponsorsships that are going to fulfill this goal are sponsorships of celebrity poker players - e.g Shane Warn for 888 and Boris Becker for Poker stars.

I can't see many more sposnorships for people other than celebrities or high rakers in the future. Perhaps from new sites, but only for a limited time period until they establish themsleves and start to look at the bigger picture. Some companies will use the ego boost associated with sponsorship to give back to their high rakers, but this is really rakeback in disguise.

Every week we get approached by lots and lots of players wishing to be sponsored. They usually point solely to their prowess as players as the reason they should be sponsored. That is simply not enough. There are lots of good players who are not sponsored, because being good at the game is a secondary reason to sponsor someone. Their ability to gain press interest is the number one reason and the publicity they garner has to be considered to be positve.

I received an email ast week from a 17-year old who wants to be sponsored to play at the Vic at next week's GUKPT, just a few days after his 18th birthday. He thinks this would be great publicity, but it would not be. I think that players playing in major events as soon as they become old enough to do so is bad for the industry and certainly not something for a sponsor to harp on about. It only goes to highlight that those players MUST have been playing online illegaly when they were underage to be able to step up to that size of game as soon as they come of age.

I think Betfair's sponsorship of Annette_15 is ill advised. She may well be the hottest name in poker at the moment, but she had been playing online since she was 15. 15 for gods sake. How can this be anything other than bad for the industry in general - highlighting the illegal use of online poker sites by a minor and the innaction of the sites she played on by not stopping here from doing so. The recent announcement of Sorel Mizzi's sponsorship by Betfair is also rather baffling. Whether you believe what he did was wrong or not, it is strange that Betfair wish to applaud him for his actions by awarding him with a sponsorship deal.

Every time I attend a poker festival, someone bangs their chest and says 'when are you gonna sponsor me', usually just after they've won something. I smile grimly and laugh it off.

My advice to players is forget about being sponsored. It probably isn't going to happen. Control your egos enough to realise that very few people care if you've made 6 final tables in the last 2 months, least of all potential sponsors. It is even worse when players get moody about not being offered sponsorship deals, expecting that it is their god given right to be sponsored. Petulance is an ugly trait and not one that is going to endear you to a potential sponsor.

There are players out there who I think are deserving of their sponsorship deals, but even the best of these realise they were in the right place at the right time. IMO sponsorship of players is on the way out. Those of you who are sponsored, enjoy it while you can. The big cheeses have woken up, they can smell the coffee and their cheque books should be firmly in their pockets. Nobody is chomping at the bit to 'snap' up players.

"Do not ask for to be sponsored, as a refusal often offends."
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 05:32:28 PM »

WOW!

AlrightJack wins the "Most Sensible Post of 2008" - by a mile.

I agree with almost every word, Jonathan.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 05:52:03 PM »

WOW!

AlrightJack wins the "Most Sensible Post of 2008" - by a mile.

I agree with almost every word, Jonathan.

i also agreee

but when you going to sponsor me?

i'll get my coat

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
LLevan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 07:24:13 PM »

I agree with you that Nik is an excellent player - he's been knocking at the door for quite a while and it surely won't be long before it stays ajar long enough to let him get past the threshold.  However, on the issue of sponsorship - and really this is not about Nik, but about the whole sponsorship thing in general. There is far too much expectation amongst players to be sponsored. In a few years time sponsorships will be a thing of the past - not enough value for sponsors, it costs too much, too little return and marketing money can be better spent in other ways.

Pokerstars have their team of players, largely designed to ensure they have a presenece within the poker communities of as many countries as possible.

Full Tilt have lots of big names and this strategy was designed in part to give them some cut through in their ad campaigns, given that they were relatively late to market, compared with the other big sites.

Betfair, Blue Square, Ladbrokes, William Hill and other companies also have sponsorship programs, to varying degrees. I was largely responsible for getting the Blue Square one off the ground and our current sponsored players are Mickey Wernick, Praz Bansi, Karl Mahrenholz and Kevin O'Leary.

However, if the clock were tunred back three years I probably would not set it up again. This is not because the program has been disappointing - far from it - all of our players have enabled Blue Square to have constant exposure in the poker press over the last few years and this has been good for the company, however, the poker press is a tiny market place and sponsoring players has little impact on getting coverage in the wider press. The only sponsorsships that are going to fulfill this goal are sponsorships of celebrity poker players - e.g Shane Warn for 888 and Boris Becker for Poker stars.

I can't see many more sposnorships for people other than celebrities or high rakers in the future. Perhaps from new sites, but only for a limited time period until they establish themsleves and start to look at the bigger picture. Some companies will use the ego boost associated with sponsorship to give back to their high rakers, but this is really rakeback in disguise.

Every week we get approached by lots and lots of players wishing to be sponsored. They usually point solely to their prowess as players as the reason they should be sponsored. That is simply not enough. There are lots of good players who are not sponsored, because being good at the game is a secondary reason to sponsor someone. Their ability to gain press interest is the number one reason and the publicity they garner has to be considered to be positve.

I received an email ast week from a 17-year old who wants to be sponsored to play at the Vic at next week's GUKPT, just a few days after his 18th birthday. He thinks this would be great publicity, but it would not be. I think that players playing in major events as soon as they become old enough to do so is bad for the industry and certainly not something for a sponsor to harp on about. It only goes to highlight that those players MUST have been playing online illegaly when they were underage to be able to step up to that size of game as soon as they come of age.

I think Betfair's sponsorship of Annette_15 is ill advised. She may well be the hottest name in poker at the moment, but she had been playing online since she was 15. 15 for gods sake. How can this be anything other than bad for the industry in general - highlighting the illegal use of online poker sites by a minor and the innaction of the sites she played on by not stopping here from doing so. The recent announcement of Sorel Mizzi's sponsorship by Betfair is also rather baffling. Whether you believe what he did was wrong or not, it is strange that Betfair wish to applaud him for his actions by awarding him with a sponsorship deal.

Every time I attend a poker festival, someone bangs their chest and says 'when are you gonna sponsor me', usually just after they've won something. I smile grimly and laugh it off.

My advice to players is forget about being sponsored. It probably isn't going to happen. Control your egos enough to realise that very few people care if you've made 6 final tables in the last 2 months, least of all potential sponsors. It is even worse when players get moody about not being offered sponsorship deals, expecting that it is their god given right to be sponsored. Petulance is an ugly trait and not one that is going to endear you to a potential sponsor.

There are players out there who I think are deserving of their sponsorship deals, but even the best of these realise they were in the right place at the right time. IMO sponsorship of players is on the way out. Those of you who are sponsored, enjoy it while you can. The big cheeses have woken up, they can smell the coffee and their cheque books should be firmly in their pockets. Nobody is chomping at the bit to 'snap' up players.

Great post and pretty much along the same lines as several of us had written on the Sorel thread. It will also be interesting to see whether the current Blue Square sponsored pros get their sponsorship renewed whenever they reach the end of their current deals.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 07:45:16 PM »

A fantastic post.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 07:46:50 PM »

prices on blue square

this guy is gonna be the big thing in poker in 2008. Quality player, dont tell him tho.

oh and chompy, whoever you are do you want to back me for the gukpt in london?Huh?Huh?

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 07:50:56 PM »

John, I think you should use this entire post as your signature on all emails and forum posts, probably would save you a lot of time.

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 07:57:49 PM »

nice post Jon,

Nice meeting you by the way last week.

I have a mate who GENUINELY thinks that if he can get into the top 10 money earners on facebook he might get sponsored by a big company who notices his prowess as a class poker player!!!!!!

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 07:59:24 PM »

Glad i got my deal with Jon before the big suits woke up Wink

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=8649.0

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 08:05:14 PM »

Fran, Maria, Pete 'balletdancer' Linton, Samurai Hicks, Big Black, Sam Trickett, Woodsey, GreekJack and of course the Yo-yo.

Now what odds do i get on the Nottingham 9 all making the final table?

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: