blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:46:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Learning Centre (Moderators: Longy, JungleCat03)
| | | |-+  Full ring NL50 hand
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Full ring NL50 hand  (Read 2225 times)
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2008, 06:39:13 PM »

What do you do against short stacks like this?

I only have 22 hands on him but he's still running VPIP @ 59, he's obviously active and he's also shoved from the BB when there was a couple of callers preflop.

PokerStars Game #16242232325:  Hold'em No Limit ($0.25/$0.50) - 2008/03/25 - 14:28:54 (ET)
Table 'Annschnell IV' 9-max Seat #9 is the button
Seat 1: SonnyLulla ($11.60 in chips)
Seat 2: chbowl ($41 in chips)
Seat 3: Hanni1981 ($42.10 in chips)
Seat 4: Graham0573 ($55.05 in chips)
Seat 6: viswijf ($11.55 in chips)
Seat 7: Ferch18 ($61.80 in chips)
Seat 8: legionverde ($56.85 in chips)
Seat 9: Obi Bruins ($55.70 in chips)
SonnyLulla: posts small blind $0.25
chbowl: posts big blind $0.50
vkm-train: sits out
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Graham0573 [ ]
Hanni1981: folds
Graham0573: raises $1 to $1.50
viswijf: calls $1.50
Ferch18: folds
legionverde: folds
Obi Bruins: folds
SonnyLulla: folds
chbowl: folds
*** FLOP *** [Two Clubs ]
Graham0573: bets $3.50
viswijf: raises $5.50 to $9
Graham0573: raises $5.50 to $14.50
viswijf: calls $1.05 and is all-in
*** TURN *** [Two Clubs ] [three clubs]
*** RIVER *** [Two Clubs three clubs] []
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Graham0573: shows [ ] (two pair, Sevens and Threes)
viswijf: shows [ ] (two pair, Kings and Threes)
viswijf collected $22.70 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $23.85 | Rake $1.15
Board [Two Clubs three clubs ]
Seat 1: SonnyLulla (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 2: chbowl (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: Hanni1981 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: Graham0573 showed [ ] and lost with two pair, Sevens and Threes
Seat 6: viswijf showed [ ] and won ($22.70) with two pair, Kings and Threes
Seat 7: Ferch18 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: legionverde folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: Obi Bruins (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Was the flop raise worth it or should I have just laid it down to the short stack? I seem to be faced with situations like this quite often but am never sure what the goal of the short stack people are - is it to bluff me off an sizable pot (in comparison to their stack) or is to wait for a chance where they probably have the best hand?

Moskvich

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 12:45:12 AM »

I'd say the goal of people who play 59% VPIP is mainly to match up their hole cards with the board cards and then put their money in. (Or to gamble pre-flop).

It's tempting in hands like this to just think that he's playing loads of hands, he could have anything, I might well be ahead and it's only 10 dollars, so just stick it in. I suspect that's an expensive way to go about it though, unless you've already seen him raise postflop without a hand.

You're not beating all that much here - I'd say his typical range to raise the flop is any K, any pocket pair above , maybe some 4's, any flush draw. But I suspect he often raises all-in with the flush draw.

If you've seen some post-flop aggression from him, and think he's likely to bet if you check to him, then maybe you should aim to check-raise the flop. Now you're getting your money in in better shape, as you're beating all his bluffs with hands like Ace high as well as all his legitimate hands. Or if he checks behind then you can probably be fairly sure he hasn't hit much, and can maybe bet the turn, though you'll need to think about what you want to achieve by doing that too.

That's the key - knowing what you're trying to achieve. Remember that C-betting isn't compulsory, especially against random players like this. If you're playing a decent player, and particularly someone you play against a lot, then you want to c-bet a lot - because you need to be able to take pots down when you've missed, and because you need to get money in the pot when you've hit and are ahead of their range.

Here, you don't primarily need to make balanced plays or attempt to disguise your hand or any of that stuff. You just want to put as little money as possible into the pot when you're behind his range, and as much money as possible in while you're ahead of his range. From that point of view, the bet-3bet all-in line generally doesn't look a great idea.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: