blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 20, 2024, 01:17:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273296 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  What is a winning player?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is a winning player?  (Read 4734 times)
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2008, 11:11:48 PM »

When someone says "I`m a winner at poker" I always ask "How do you know?"

If they then reply "well I won such and such in a certain game on a certain night"..etc they are probably not winners overall ..
But,, If the reply is ..I keep accurate records including dates, times, type of game, amount staked and win or loss recorded.. then they are probably long term winners...

Keeping accurate records will tell you all you need to know about winning and losing.

yes it will tell you what you need to know but surely the implication can't be that someone that doesn't keep records probably isn't winning, and someone that does is?

It's usually the case though

it is for me!!

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
blonde17

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2008, 03:11:42 AM »

Keeping accurate records will tell you all you need to know about winning and losing.

yes it will tell you what you need to know but surely the implication can't be that someone that doesn't keep records probably isn't winning, and someone that does is?
No not an absolute but...
losing players don`t keep records ...Logging continuous losses becomes far to painful so generally they skip the losses preferring to remember only their wins ..
Whilst a player keeping accurate records can see where the loss occurs and take steps to either improve their game or move to lower limits and/or easier games hence ...Winners keep records losers don`t ...Generally.

M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2008, 09:51:17 AM »

No not an absolute but...
losing players don`t keep records ...Logging continuous losses becomes far to painful so generally they skip the losses preferring to remember only their wins ..
Whilst a player keeping accurate records can see where the loss occurs and take steps to either improve their game or move to lower limits and/or easier games hence ...Winners keep records losers don`t ...Generally.

[/quote]

You are talking about online here i take it?

I can't imagine many (if any) pro's keeping accurate records - unless they have to for tax reasons (ie USA)
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2008, 09:52:24 AM »

I can't imagine many (if any) pro's keeping accurate records - unless they have to for tax reasons (ie USA)

I don't know many who don't

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2008, 09:53:41 AM »

ok - i did say "I cant imagine"

I stand corrected
blonde17

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2008, 10:01:26 AM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Online or live.....It makes no odds.

You need to have records  as point of reference for alteration and improvement....No one can remember each and every single session, so record keeping is an essential part of being a professional poker player ( If you intend to be a long term winner)

Most Pro`s (including myself) keep records..... period.

Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2008, 10:03:37 AM »

[/quote]

You need to have records  as point of reference for alteration and improvement....No one can remember each and every single session, so record keeping is an essential part of being a professional poker player ( If you intend to be a long term winner)

Most Pro`s (including myself) keep records..... period.

[/quote]

Are you a winning player then Pete ?

Not taking the piss, genuine question ... Do you take into account all the entry fees of the comps you are paid into by sponsors when formulating your calculations ?

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
blonde17

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2008, 10:35:22 AM »

Hi Kev,

My own records go back 21 yrs out of which..

I have won in 18 and lost in 3 ..I include all buy-ins ,travel and accommodation when applicable....and yes I include my sponsorship ( Last year my tourney winnings were around £40,000 after expenses)...my best tournament year to date.

Bear in mind that these records look pretty good (IMO) because prior to last year my main stay was cash games and my tourney expenses were kept pretty low £50-£500 max buy-ins. Winning at tournaments alone is very difficult and long "lean" patches have to be supplemented by cash game income....but we are all chasing the "Big One"... a dream win.
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »

Hi Kev,

I have won in 18 and lost in 3 ..I include all buy-ins ,travel and accommodation when applicable....and yes I include my sponsorship ( Last year my tourney winnings were around £40,000 after expenses)...my best tournament year to date.

Bear in mind that these records look pretty good (IMO) because prior to last year my main stay was cash games and my tourney expenses were kept pretty low £50-£500 max buy-ins. Winning at tournaments alone is very difficult and long "lean" patches have to be supplemented by cash game income....but we are all chasing the "Big One"... a dream win.

Cheers Pete, I agree that cash games are vital in supporting the tournament entry fees, Apart from sponsored players, I cannot see how players can sustain playing all the 1k + comps, and expenses that go with them long term .... In fact we have all seen faces come & go from these events over the years because they cant now afford to play them.

Bankroll management yet again rises to the top in the "Best poker advice in the world" list.

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2008, 10:40:34 AM »

Hi Kev,

Pete, Do you have a gazebo?

The older I get, the better I was.
blonde17

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2008, 01:52:08 PM »

Tom,

I`m so poor.....I LIVE in one!...or will do if I don`t improve my tourney play.

Just Joking...at the moment  I`m building an extension so my garden looks more like a building site...so no gazebo and of course.. a gazebo... is an essential piece of equipment for every poker pro!.. LoL
Snatiramas
Loving London

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2008, 04:57:23 PM »

Hi Kev,

Pete, Do you have a gazebo?

What some sort of African deer

The most insidious of rules are those that aren't rules at all.
They are the limitations that we invent for ourselves
Grier78
www.AllInOnADraw.com

www.AllInOnADraw.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2008, 05:46:48 PM »

When someone says "I`m a winner at poker" I always ask "How do you know?"

If they then reply "well I won such and such in a certain game on a certain night"..etc they are probably not winners overall ..
But,, If the reply is ..I keep accurate records including dates, times, type of game, amount staked and win or loss recorded.. then they are probably long term winners...

I keep accurate records of all my online play (via Poker Tracker), but I treat my live play as more entertainment, so I look in my pocket to see if I can play a game and if I am lucky enough to win ought then it will probably get spent on something before it can be used for my next buy in.  I am quite sure that I am down on live play but it was all money well spent.

I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2008, 05:52:02 PM »

[/quote]

Most Pro`s (including myself) keep records.....FACT

[/quote]
FYP

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: