blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:35:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Best of blonde
| | | |-+  "In the Well" with Riverdave
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "In the Well" with Riverdave  (Read 62337 times)
riverdave

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2008, 07:01:56 PM »

biggest spin up and biggest loss?

Smallish in comparison to what you can do at Full Tilt these days but $240k whilst in Vegas in 2006 75% of that was online. Biggest loss was on the slide down from that run which was a £91000 pot on the £25/£50 PLO table on Crypto. It was a heads up game in which we were both in for between £40k and £50k stacks were now very even. There were the standard 3 or 4 reraises preflop and a king high 2 spade flop followed i had 3 kings and the king flush draw, my Scandy opponent had Aces with the ace flush draw and everything went in it came blank non pairing spade. £50k rather than 50p!
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2008, 07:07:48 PM »

Obviously spinning up/down via playing Omaha you are riding the natural variance and swings of the game, at high levels often

Over and above that is there a style to your online game where you seek out risk/reward (play super Laggy etc etc) that exacerbates the swings? do you ever think about turning down the dial at times and grinding?

When comparing your online and live games, do you have different styles? I ask because your hold em tournament game seems "steady" and "solid", on the occasions we've played anyway.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2008, 07:31:42 PM »

is Woking in London?

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
riverdave

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2008, 07:39:07 PM »

Will answer some more later tonight, off to the Western for their monthly £200.
WSOPaduki

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2008, 10:54:13 PM »

Do you think there's a better standard of play, the higher up the levels. Say from $1-$2 plo to $25-$50 plo
WSOPaduki

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2008, 10:55:45 PM »

Do you use any statistical software or HUD to help while playing online?

whats your opinion on playing 4 tables of 1-2 blinds with full buy in, versus 1 table of 5-10 with two short pull ups?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 10:58:00 PM by WSOPaduki » Logged
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2008, 12:23:37 AM »

cheers for doing this Dave, wp there.

i know you have several backers, do you think that having a backer ever improves your performance in live events, in the respect that you tend to be more analytical and serious when its someone else's money rather than yours.

riverdave

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2008, 12:09:45 PM »

Being ITW might have brought me some luck as the recovery continued with 1st at The Western for £3200 last night in a 52 runner field.
riverdave

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2008, 12:10:13 PM »

is Woking in London?

No it's in Surrey.
riverdave

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2008, 12:44:25 PM »

Obviously spinning up/down via playing Omaha you are riding the natural variance and swings of the game, at high levels often

Over and above that is there a style to your online game where you seek out risk/reward (play super Laggy etc etc) that exacerbates the swings? do you ever think about turning down the dial at times and grinding?

When comparing your online and live games, do you have different styles? I ask because your hold em tournament game seems "steady" and "solid", on the occasions we've played anyway.

Great question and i'm not sure how much i want to give away.... but i think any good player has to be capable of playing several different styles as your chip stack fluctuates and the type of players you come across changes you need to be able to adapt. Most people have a default style and online i'd say i do fit into the fairly laggy bracket in short handed cash games, tournaments is almost entirely dependent on the changing variables at the table. I'm certainly very capable of turning down the dial and grinding with the best of them when required.
Live tournaments i do find you get away with a lot less and also when compared to online particularly deep in tournaments there is usually a lot less play in your stack this doesn't make employing a super laggy style very easy or in my mind too profitable. If i appear steady and solid i'm happy with that. :-)
riverdave

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2008, 12:49:08 PM »

Do you think there's a better standard of play, the higher up the levels. Say from $1-$2 plo to $25-$50 plo

Generally yes but there are some incredibly soft games around the 10/20 25/50 levels and some virtually impossible 1/2 2/4 line ups, it's all about game selection really. At certain times even the biggest game on full tilt is very soft.
riverdave

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2008, 12:54:13 PM »

Do you use any statistical software or HUD to help while playing online?

whats your opinion on playing 4 tables of 1-2 blinds with full buy in, versus 1 table of 5-10 with two short pull ups?

I keep strict records of games i've won and lost in but i don't currently use any poker trackers or HUD, if i was multi table grinding cash it's probably something i would get into but i think they aren't so relevant for tourneys due to constantly changing dynamics.

I'm no variance dodger so i'd probably take the 1 table of 5/10 and short pull ups work well in my main cash game PLO.
riverdave

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2008, 01:03:34 PM »

cheers for doing this Dave, wp there.

i know you have several backers, do you think that having a backer ever improves your performance in live events, in the respect that you tend to be more analytical and serious when its someone else's money rather than yours.

Having a backer certainly aids in playing out and out for the win and i do have a lot more respect for someone elses money than my own, must be my accountant background. My recent big win at DTD is the first one where i've had all my own action and i don't think i played it any differently to a tournament i'd been backed in.
Having the right kind of backer is very important it's no good having someone who is going to put lots of pressure on you through the inevitable bad runs, and someone with a willingness to take a real gamble is a massive advantage. The majority of my backing relationships have been reasonably profitable for both parties.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 01:09:47 PM by riverdave » Logged
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2008, 01:08:22 PM »

nice score last night mate, ship holla!
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2008, 03:44:42 PM »

how much money would someone have to give you, for you to agree to never play another hand of poker for the rest of your life?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: