blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:47:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Zimbabwe
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zimbabwe  (Read 3768 times)
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 07:36:06 PM »

I think what is going on in Zimbabwe is both a democratic and humanitarian disaster. The culmination of years of a one-party state that has failed to meet the needs of the people. Mugabe was a revolutionary fighter in his day, who led the liberation of Rhodesia from apartheid and British misrule. He was considered a comrade by the leaders of other revolutionary movements in Southern Africa, including the movements in South Africa, Angola, Namibia and Mozambique.

Mugabe should have retired years ago and adopted the statesman's role that Mandela has in South Africa; effectively becoming the 'Father of the Nation'. Instead, any revolutionary legacy that Mugabe had has been completely undermined by his one-party dictatorship and his lust for personal power. The violence and terror used to subjugate his own people is something for which he should never be forgiven.

It's far too easy to say that South Africa should say and do this or that. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that Mbeki, Mandela and the other ANC leaders are extremely embarrassed about the situation in Zimbabwe, which is also having a knock-on effect in South Africa because of the huge numbers of refugees who have fled there, but their harshest words against their 'old ally' Mugabe are more likey to be reserved for private conversation rather than public condemnation.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 07:41:53 PM »

world class pasting, well done

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
sledge13

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 07:44:34 PM »

NUKE ALL
SnipeR

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 07:48:29 PM »

What Nuke the whole of Africa???....tad extreme imo......blow the place up and weve nowhere to send em back to....?

"Stu Ungar"??...Yeah he Stole my moves!!....3/6os= Insta Snap Jam...
sledge13

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 07:52:23 PM »

England?
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 07:52:29 PM »

world class pasting, well done

Was posted by my mate on his own site, it sums up perfectly my thoughts on the situation he just wrote it far better than I could have.

I appreciate that Mugabe will go down is History, but no longer as the revolutionary. 

trafficjam

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 08:37:07 PM »

Unfortunately yet again the west talks a good game whilst doing little to change anything.
If there was oil in Zimbabwe would it be different?

My fear also is for South Africa. Could the same happen there?

Agree entirely.  Cannot believe we sit back and watch this happen.  It was such a beautiful country.

I must refrain from falling in love with my hole cards!
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 10:07:46 PM »

Well, everyone is speaking out now..Mandela is speaking up and it's all looking good...except that business only cares about money. UK Mining company to invest 200mill£ in Zimbabwe according to the front page of the Times ...

Who comes up with this stuff?

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 10:12:26 PM »

Im not very bright when it come to World politics but when a tyrant that was treating people like this in Iraq we and the US decided to invade and bring him down. What is the difference here other than this tyrant isnt actually threatening or directly attacking us?

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 10:14:59 PM by bobby1 » Logged

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 10:13:14 PM »

Im not very bright when it come to World politics but when a tyrant that was treating people like this in Iraq we and the US decided to invade and bring him down. What is the difference here other than this tyrant isnt actually threatening or directly threatening us?

money

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 10:32:54 PM »

Im not very bright when it come to World politics but when a tyrant that was treating people like this in Iraq we and the US decided to invade and bring him down. What is the difference here other than this tyrant isnt actually threatening or directly threatening us?

money

and can I take it there is no threat to oil from Zimbabwe too?

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 08:21:53 AM »

money

and can I take it there is no threat to oil from Zimbabwe too?

Zimbabwe is rich enough actually..but mainly mines and all that..the country could be in decent shape if they didn't have inflation running at 1 million % and a nut job in charge of it.

But it is not in an oil rich region and Africa as a continent is filled with corrupt leaders who don't want the West to interfere with "Local and national issues" and the West so soo scared about looking like they are colonialising again that they don't dare intervene.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: