blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:39:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Knock-off Nigel
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Knock-off Nigel  (Read 5564 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 25, 2008, 02:06:37 PM »

Lots of people download music, TV shows, films, software without paying for it.  It's therefore illegal, but that doesn't bother a lot of people.

(image stolen from the Knock-off Nigel website)

I guess many people think it's a 'victimless' crime, or at least the victim is someone who they can't see (and can't see them obviously) - whereas nicking a CD or DVD from a shop would be abhorrent to them. 

The 'Knock-off Nigel' adverts are obviously designed to raise people's moral awareness of these activities, and somehow to make the acts shameful and something to be embarrassed about.  Do they actually do that?  They do get people talking about it (I'm doing that now).  The other question I have is who is paying for the campaign?  I'm always suspicious when the sponsor isn't overtly highlighted.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 02:09:50 PM »

The previous advert (scottish singer) only had me thinking we'd kick your head in for being a wee grass & we'd rip the pish out of the other guy for being called Nigel.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 02:20:25 PM »

Lol

Ive had so many conversations about this advert. Its yet another complete waste of money. How does this advert put anyone off buying dodgy dvd's! It turns the whole subject into a joke.

I actually know a bloke in the pub called Nigel who sells dvd's, its like he has his own personal advert on the telly!!! People hear his name, call him knock off nigel for a laugh and he gets a list of his dvd's out!!!!

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Suited_Jock

i-reraise.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 02:21:36 PM »

Lol

Ive had so many conversations about this advert. Its yet another complete waste of money. How does this advert put anyone off buying dodgy dvd's! It turns the whole subject into a joke.

I actually know a bloke in the pub called Nigel who sells dvd's, its like he has his own personal advert on the telly!!! People hear his name, call him knock off nigel for a laugh and he gets a list of his dvd's out!!!!

LoL genius

I don't think the adverts will stop a single person downloading stuff... the new letter writing campaign thats big news just now will hit a lot of people imo

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/214896/isp-threatens-to-walk-out-of-illegal-filesharing-pact.html
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 02:24:50 PM »

does the ad actually say at any point that watching knock off movies is bad? if it does I don't remember that bit. all I remember is being told that Nigel watches films for free and thinking that that's a good idea

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 02:26:31 PM »

the Knock off Nigel ads are commercially funded by record companies and film studios rather than government-funded PSAs.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 02:32:03 PM »

the Knock off Nigel ads are commercially funded by record companies and film studios rather than government-funded PSAs.

I'd expected as much - but did wonder why this wasn't explicitly stated on the ads, or on the website (it might be, but I wasn't going to search through it to find the information).

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 02:33:21 PM »

no idea

is it better for people to think they're funded by commercial interests or the government? Interesting question

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 02:36:53 PM »

The previous advert (scottish singer) only had me thinking we'd kick your head in for being a wee grass & we'd rip the pish out of the other guy for being called Nigel.

LOOOOLLL!!!

It's funny because it's true.

The older I get, the better I was.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 02:36:59 PM »

Lol

I can't remember the last time I saw a non-Oriental guy hawking hooky DVDs around pubs - I assumed they had that racket sewn up.

In fact, I had one guy come round Costa Coffee at lunchtime - his hot new item was the new Batman film.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 02:38:12 PM »

OK, so what is the difference between nicking a CD from a shop and downloading some MP3s illegally, or buying a pirated DVD or stealing a DVD from the local supermarket?   Is it just a matter of logsitics?

Suited_Jock

i-reraise.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 02:43:54 PM »

OK, so what is the difference between nicking a CD from a shop and downloading some MP3s illegally, or buying a pirated DVD or stealing a DVD from the local supermarket?   Is it just a matter of logsitics?

There are no reprucussions or anything in place to stop people downloading mp3s / films.. There are criminal records and security guards in shops...

Those of us who were brought up with the internet in the napster days are so used to downloading things it just isn't wrong imo
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 02:46:28 PM »

Is it just a matter of logsitics?

yes, if you want to look at it very simplistically.

In reality, I suppose the people in the film/music industry only really lose out if you would otherwise have bought the DVD/CD from a shop.  I think that's probably more the case with music - if someone wants a decent copy of a film, they're not going to buy a knock off dvd in place of the official version.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 02:48:47 PM by Claw75 » Logged

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
WarBwastard

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 02:49:56 PM »

Half inching a DVD from a shop isn't the same as downloading the same film for free off of t'internets.  Shoooowarly more people are denied monies by the stealing of DVD's from shops because there's more to a DVD than just the movie.  Packaging, inlay card and so on,.. the dudes who work in the shop are also indirectly affected if they don't make any sales because everyone has decided not to bother paying.  Downloading is just the digital image.

I hate those knock-off Nigel adverts, not because I'm condoning illegal downloads,  but because it's such a naff attempt at guilting people into paying over the odds for those goods.  I watch it and just think poor Nigel is using his common sense.

http://la-boca-de-la-cueva.blogspot.com/

http://mexico.worldcupblog.org/

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left." -- Bertrand Russell
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 02:51:06 PM »

OK, so what is the difference between nicking a CD from a shop and downloading some MP3s illegally?

Nicking a CD from a shop you are:

a) depriving the shop of an actual physical thing which cost money to produce, and are depriving them of a potential sale to someone else who would have bought it

b) depriving them of the money they would have got from you had you bought it.

With MP3s, a) doesn't apply because you are copying something and leaving the original file intact.

With b) the record company/whoever are only losing out if you would have actually paid money for the CD/DVD if there was no internet/man in pub.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: