blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:34:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 226 227 [228] 229 230 231 232 ... 255 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***  (Read 620647 times)
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #3405 on: September 30, 2017, 10:52:23 AM »

Watched Goodbye Christopher Robin at the beautiful Glasgow film theatre last night.

Domhnall Gleeson is brilliant as always. Margot Robbie a little caricature ish in a mean role.

Like watching a postcard version of England. It is a sad story and there was not a dry eye left by the end. I really enjoyed it. 7/10.
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: October 03, 2017, 01:18:53 PM »

IT

Much hyped remake of the Stephen King Mini Series...

I don't know if I’m a product of generation.. but horror movies just don't scare me.. I was walking behind a girl coming out and she was stating she was terrified.. really ??..hmmm is it me?

The film.. was ok.. The story is as much about the relationships between the outcast group of misfit kids as it is the killer clown as part of Kings appeal in book form is the depth of his characters’... maybe that’s why so few of his books translate that well to screen.

I suppose a story of a creepy, child killing/kidnapping clown is enough to terrify most souls but I, as I believe many of the later generations, have become blasé and immune to gratuitous gore and violence..

As I said it was ok.. was never going to live up to the hype... but a massive box office hit which is the most important thing to the studio and a second instalment will be winging its way to us in the near future

6/10 Fajita's

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: October 03, 2017, 04:54:40 PM »

IT

Much hyped remake of the Stephen King Mini Series...

I don't know if I’m a product of generation.. but horror movies just don't scare me.. I was walking behind a girl coming out and she was stating she was terrified.. really ??..hmmm is it me?

The film.. was ok.. The story is as much about the relationships between the outcast group of misfit kids as it is the killer clown as part of Kings appeal in book form is the depth of his characters’... maybe that’s why so few of his books translate that well to screen.

I suppose a story of a creepy, child killing/kidnapping clown is enough to terrify most souls but I, as I believe many of the later generations, have become blasé and immune to gratuitous gore and violence..

As I said it was ok.. was never going to live up to the hype... but a massive box office hit which is the most important thing to the studio and a second instalment will be winging its way to us in the near future

6/10 Fajita's

Yeah this imo.
I don't watch horror movies as nothing nowadays is original, or any better, than what I saw as a child in the '80s
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: October 07, 2017, 01:00:42 PM »

anyone seen Bladerunner2049? good as the critics say? (obviously the original achieved cult status which helps)

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: October 07, 2017, 01:44:28 PM »

anyone seen Bladerunner2049? good as the critics say? (obviously the original achieved cult status which helps)

Lovejoy is going to see it tonight, so I'll see what he posts about it tomorrow.

4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: October 09, 2017, 09:40:20 PM »

Blade Runner 2049

If excellent art direction and cinematography turn you on, along with another great, atmospheric soundtrack by Vangellis, you’re more than halfway there to loving this film. I believe it helps a lot to have seen the original too, but it’s not critical.

As always with film, there’s a huge amount of subjectivity, so the negatives for me are just personal preferences. Ryan Gosling (very limited facial expressions on display, too) is not really best cast imo as the LAPD’s top Runner, and the plot doesn’t really progress a lot from the main theme established in Ridley Scott’s vision. But as I said, there’s still plenty to feast your eyes on.

I made a point of avoiding all the editorial coverage on this film, and I’m glad I did. I still enjoyed it a lot as a cinematic experience despite my gripes, and I’d definitely go back for a second look.

Overall 7.5/10
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: October 10, 2017, 09:17:51 AM »

The NYT movie review of “Blade Runner 2049”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/movies/blade-runner-2049-review-ryan-gosling-harrison-ford.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: October 10, 2017, 09:19:18 AM »

and here is Kermode's review of the "breath-taking" BLADE RUNNER 2049:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/oct/08/blade-runner-2049-review-a-future-classic

My eyes are open wide
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: October 10, 2017, 11:53:48 AM »

Okay okay, so I was underplaying my enthusiasm for Blade Runner. If I'd known that the real critics were gushing so much about it, I'd have put more positives in my review (and a higher score). Nonetheless, there's a lot of Woodsey's out there who will miss the finer points of a film like this and simply observe that there was a relatively low body-count and no shagging, so you can't go all highbrow this thread  Wink

I should also have double-checked that Vangellis only inspired the authors of the film's score, but in all the excitement...

I arranged a date to see Blade Runner 2049 with a mate of mine who also works a shift pattern that gives us a chance to see matinees. I was fearful that, only 3 days after its release, we might struggle to find two decent seats, so I arrived early to purchase the tickets. Turns out there was a grand total of 5 of us in a large theatre. No biggie, though. Unimpeded view, no rustle of sweet wrappers, booming sound system.

Omm

View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: October 10, 2017, 07:22:34 PM »

and here is Kermode's review of the "breath-taking" BLADE RUNNER 2049:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/oct/08/blade-runner-2049-review-a-future-classic

Views on Kermode as a critic? Personally I think he is great, love watching his early morning (possibly repeats) reviews on BBC.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: October 11, 2017, 09:26:09 AM »

Yes I like him. Wittertainment is essential listening either live or on podcast. His passion for and against films is great

My eyes are open wide
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: October 11, 2017, 09:51:56 AM »

Kermode is a wanker, has he still got that knobhead Mark Lamarr style haircut? He’s mostly only interested in arty farty shite films that don’t amount to anything, sack him and get someone that represents the mainstream view, at least then I’d bother listening to the reviews....
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: October 11, 2017, 11:12:43 AM »

Kermode is one of the great bad reviewers of all time. We are wonderfully blessed by people who can point out flaws in things with exuberant elegance (Jay Rayner, David Mitchell, Will Self three that spring immediately to mind, but Brian Sewell, AA Gill and GK Chesterton would work as a trio no longer with us).

What I love most about them is when they really hate something.

Kermode is right up there, when he's on form:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith/and-a-big-hello-to-jason-isaacs?s=mobile&utm_term=.whyzOmDGVB#.dy2QKPYvDq

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: October 13, 2017, 11:13:44 AM »

I miss the deadpan, laconic wit of Bazza Norman. A very talented journo who always found a way of dissecting a films strengths, weaknesses and "X factor" appeal without getting all pretentious about it. Claudia Winkleman can just gtfo.

Tal's so right about him being at his best when a hater.

Interesting to note that it seems to be Mayo that does all the interviews; does anyone know the reason for this? Do they all say "Yes, I'll do the interview, but not with Kermode", or does Kermode say "I can't do the interviews as I don't want my impartiality to be compromised"?
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: October 18, 2017, 11:19:48 PM »

The Snowman

I'm a fan of Nesbo, and I so wanted to be able to write a glowing review here. No, his books are not literary works of art (English isn't his first language, for a start), but the cases in them are complex and well constructed, and the central character of Harry Hole is well drawn - painted by layer in each of the books. I was also encouraged to see that Michael Fassbender had taken the lead role; he's exactly how I had envisaged Harry Hole, and he's a damned good actor IMO.

But that's where the positives end. The film is not particularly faithful to the book, which isn't unusual nor a problem. But it was far too complicated for a 2 hour film. Simplifying the plot and drawing deeper characterisations would have been a far more effective route. There were a couple of storylines that were completely unnecessary and only served to distract from the fact that there were several really good performances in the film.

It seems the producers are hoping that this will be the first of a series of films featuring the Harry Hole character, judging from the final scene. A bit optimistic, I think. Hate to do this, but it's 4/10.
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 226 227 [228] 229 230 231 232 ... 255 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: