blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:39:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272577 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 223 224 [225] 226 227 228 229 ... 255 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***  (Read 621317 times)
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3360 on: July 19, 2017, 05:22:42 PM »

Baby Driver. Very cool, incred soundtrack.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: July 21, 2017, 10:04:22 PM »

I love a good war film and Dunkirk, which I have been looking forward to for ages, is that. Gorgeously shot, epic story. Wonderful score and IMAX cameras in spitfires. What a film. 10/10 stuff

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: July 22, 2017, 09:22:16 AM »

I love a good war film and Dunkirk, which I have been looking forward to for ages, is that. Gorgeously shot, epic story. Wonderful score and IMAX cameras in spitfires. What a film. 10/10 stuff

bit more on this,it was that good

its sparse,and not very long. quite a minimialist film.The cinematography is excellent, the score is stunning (long time Nolan collaborator Hans Zimmer)

some of the dialogue jars a bit but as a spectacle, interweaving three stories over their respective timelines of an hour, a day and a week its really really good

I expect Kenneth Branagh has had enough of standing on windy piers looking wistfully into the distance, mind 

worth seeing on the the biggest screen you can with the best sound system its got

shooting the film on Imax cameras, with lots of behind the scenes work running alongside the actors etc all added to the viewing spectable

10/10 stuff

did i  mention i like war films?

My eyes are open wide
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3363 on: July 22, 2017, 01:13:03 PM »

Looking forward to seeing this.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3364 on: July 23, 2017, 10:05:12 AM »

Like Tighty I was also really looking forward to seeing this film but unlike him I was disappointed.

I watched it in Imax too. The visuals were spectacular but for me, the whole thing looked so sanitised. It was like watching a video game where everything has that plasticy, CGI feel and the people who are killed just fall over without any outward sign of damage or emotion.

Without even trying I could name you half a dozen films that are streets ahead when it comes to portraying the realities of war.

Stunning cinematography not withstanding, it's a B movie when compared to the likes of Saving Private Ryan.

Sorry Rich.

The older I get, the better I was.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: July 23, 2017, 10:32:14 AM »

Like Tighty I was also really looking forward to seeing this film but unlike him I was disappointed.

I watched it in Imax too. The visuals were spectacular but for me, the whole thing looked so sanitised. It was like watching a video game where everything has that plasticy, CGI feel and the people who are killed just fall over without any outward sign of damage or emotion.

Without even trying I could name you half a dozen films that are streets ahead when it comes to portraying the realities of war.

Stunning cinematography not withstanding, it's a B movie when compared to the likes of Saving Private Ryan.

Sorry Rich.

don't need to apologise to me, i didn't make it!

My eyes are open wide
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3366 on: July 23, 2017, 11:15:43 AM »

Sorry Rich.

don't need to apologise to me, i didn't make it!

I meant I'm sorry for disagreeing with you.

Of course I'm not really sorry for disagreeing with you, why would I be? It's perfectly fine and natural that we would have different opinions about something so subjective as a film, I was just observing one if the the unnecessary courtesies that make our version of the English language so British.

The older I get, the better I was.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3367 on: July 23, 2017, 06:30:22 PM »

bit more on this,it was that good

its sparse,and not very long. quite a minimialist film.The cinematography is excellent, the score is stunning (long time Nolan collaborator Hans Zimmer)

some of the dialogue jars a bit but as a spectacle, interweaving three stories over their respective timelines of an hour, a day and a week its really really good

I expect Kenneth Branagh has had enough of standing on windy piers looking wistfully into the distance, mind 

worth seeing on the the biggest screen you can with the best sound system its got

shooting the film on Imax cameras, with lots of behind the scenes work running alongside the actors etc all added to the viewing spectable

10/10 stuff

did i  mention i like war films?

I loved it, I didn't realise the one hour. one day, one week thing until I read your post but now in hindsight it really made sense.

Fave moment was at the start when everyone cheered getting the two lads getting over the plank, its such a British thing to cheer very very very small victories.

What did you think of Hacksaw Ridge Rich? IMO Dunkirk, Hacksaw and Private Ryan are the three best war movies ever made.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: July 23, 2017, 06:48:28 PM »

I wrote about hacksaw ridge in here. Could take or leave the sentimental first half hour but once the action moves to Okinawa, it's brilliant.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: July 23, 2017, 06:50:12 PM »

Got to add thin red line, das boot, bridge over the river Kwai, colditz, a bridge too far etc to the list but the three you mention are in a top 10 yes

My eyes are open wide
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: July 23, 2017, 07:13:59 PM »

Apocalypse Now not got a mention?

Does Salvador count as a war movie?

Platoon, The Deer Hunter,  Gallipoli

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: July 23, 2017, 07:25:40 PM »

Yes, absolutely. I like we are soldiers a lot too, mel Gibson/vietnam.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: July 24, 2017, 06:57:24 AM »

The NYT review of "Dunkirk" http://nyti.ms/2uQOcYP

My eyes are open wide
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3373 on: July 24, 2017, 07:15:42 AM »

Recommend any good movies that focus on Russia's involvement in WW2? I've been reading a lot of books about that lately and rarely see anything about it on the silver screen.

I started reading about it when I saw this quote, which is accurate after some research: "WWII was won with British intelligence, American steel and Russian blood"
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: July 24, 2017, 07:32:23 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalingrad_(2013_film) makes saving private ryan seem like a kindergarten outing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_for_Sevastopol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enemy_at_the_Gates (probably seen that,jude law is a sniper...)

the older stalingrad film is interesting too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalingrad_(1993_film)

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 223 224 [225] 226 227 228 229 ... 255 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: