blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:10:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  helmuth / unbelievable
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: helmuth / unbelievable  (Read 3820 times)
AdamM

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2005, 08:18:58 PM »

Just finished watching WSOP 2004 tournament of champions from challenge TV last night. Phil couldn't show any class or respect even when sat at a table with Doyle Brunson, TJ Cloutier, Howard Lederer, Annie Duke, Jonny Chan, Chip Reese, Phil Ivey, Daniel Negraneau and Greg Raymer (I suppose as main event winner he has to be there but the gulf in his game compared to the rest of the table showed a bit).  I'm not saying Phil isn't a hell of a player but he's a shinning example to us all of how NOT to behave at the table or anywhere else for that matter.

Seriously, Trash talking Howard Lederer like he's some chump of the streets is ridiculous. I often think it's his total lack of respect for his opponents, of all levels, that is causing his dry run of finals and firsts. If he gave his opponents a bit more credit he might be able to use his incredible ability better and actually win something occassionaly.
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 06:59:01 AM »

Well he's won 9 WSOP bracelets...still an arse though  Grin

Did they show the whole event? I downloaded it last year. Doyle Brunson seemed to have Hellmuth pegged with some pretty barbed comments.

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 12:55:25 PM »

They showed the whole thing Simon, start to finish - and it was absolutely marvellous TV. It will no doubt be repeated - frequently - so for those who missed it, try & catch it next time round. Glorious stuff, all the players wired for sound, plenty of trash talk, but Lederer the perfect Gent throughout.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
spireitedaz
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 07:32:22 PM »

Was at work, and videoed it. I came in whilst it was in final stages, and was so engrossed seeing Helmuth in action, I watched end of tournament. (Suppose I'll know who wins some of earlier coin flips  Grin)

The best bit I saw was when Annie Duke had 2 pair, Phil correctly laid down just top pair, and flashed his King when folding. Annie flashed the 9, which in my eyes about finished Phil. (He gave her no credit for any ability to play at all.)

In contrast Annie when having a set of 3's and her Jack was outkicked by Phil's Queen, she said nice hand. Something I didn't see Phil acknowledge once.

His supposed working on his temperament is obviously failing. It is entertaining, although I'm sure somebody will really take offence one day and 'bop' him one.

mahound

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 05:00:50 PM »

Watching Annie Dule rip apart Hellmuth in the tournament of champions was great poker, she walked all over him. As i n a previous post, when Annie showed the 9 that was the killer blow for me. Couldn't stop laughing. I though phil was going to vry. great poker to watch. She thouroghly deserved the win Cheesy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: