blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:44:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272607 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Another silly quizz
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another silly quizz  (Read 3976 times)
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2008, 11:44:47 PM »

and btw, the question is incomplete. it's not actually possible to know the correct answer without some additional information on the actions of the host

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 09:26:48 AM »

and btw, the question is incomplete. it's not actually possible to know the correct answer without some additional information on the actions of the host

The question is complete.  He shows you a goat, so you know it's correct to switch.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 09:27:28 AM »

I got the first one wrong as well.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
MereNovice
Gamesmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 09:43:47 AM »

17/20.
Question 20 completely stumped me and I didn't read the ante-antepenultimate question properly - silly me. Got the first three letters right then jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Reigning Blonde Fantasy Ashes and Super League Champions
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 12:29:06 PM »

The question is complete.  He shows you a goat, so you know it's correct to switch.

oops, sorry didn't read the question fully. you improve your chances to win if the host a) knows where the car is and b) always offers the switch. if these conditions are not in place then things may be different.

I skimmed over the question and missed that the switch was already offered pre selection

btw kin your reply is incorrect, it's not correct to switch because he shows you a goat. it's correct to switch because you knew he would show you a goat and you knew he would offer you the switch

Compo

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 12:46:23 PM »

The goat question, or a variety of, is/was used by a a well known betting tycoon during all job interviews. Any mug that said change, because the odds changed after being shown the goat was summarily shown the door. Changing your selection is no different,in odds terms, than waiting for six tails on a coin flip then betting on heads. In both examples when you make your first selection you are either right or wrong. If right well done. If wrong changing your selection doesn't alter the true odds. It's only 50/50 if you have two to choose from at the start ie. heads/tails. In the goat example you are 2/1 to get it right,33%, or 1/2, 66%, to get it wrong. If you believe that to change your selection is good then you are 50% to get it wrong. Overall that makes it more than a certainty, 116%, that you will be wrong. Clearly that is impossible, but it does show that the odds can't change once the game starts.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 12:50:37 PM by Compo » Logged
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 12:57:53 PM »

The goat question, or a variety of, is/was used by a a well known betting tycoon during all job interviews. Any mug that said change after being shown the goat was summarily shown the door. Changing your selection is no different,in odds terms, than waiting for six tails on a coin flip then betting on heads. In both examples when you make your first selection you are either right or wrong. If right well done. If wrong changing your selection doesn't alter the true odds. It's only 50/50 if you have two to choose from at the start ie. heads/tails. In the goat example you are 2/1 to get it right,33%, or 1/2, 66%, to get it wrong. If you believe that to change your selection is good then you are 50% to get it wrong. Overall that makes it more than a certainty, 116%, that you will be wrong.
That is why you don't change your original selection.

that is true in a vacuum but that is not the case here. if, as is the case here, you know in advance that you will a) be shown the goat and b) be offered the switch then it is correct to switch as you become a 2/1 fave to win. mathematical proof is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

without those 2 criteria being in place then the answer changes. in some cases (if you are always shown a goat but only offered a switch if your original choice was correct) it is always correct to stick with your original choice. other variables alter the odds towards either switching or sticking

MereNovice
Gamesmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 01:04:53 PM »

The clearest explanation that I have found of why it is correct to change is here:- http://math.ucsd.edu/~crypto/Monty/montybg.html
It comes complete with some very nice pictures.

Anyway, who is this "betting tycoon" - I think we deserve to be told.

Compo

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 01:06:10 PM »

The clearest explanation that I have found of why it is correct to change is here:- http://math.ucsd.edu/~crypto/Monty/montybg.html
It comes complete with some very nice pictures.

Anyway, who is this "betting tycoon" - I think we deserve to be told.

Monty Hall
MereNovice
Gamesmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 01:10:52 PM »

He must have been a busy man with all his television commitments as well.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2008, 01:39:44 PM »

oops, sorry didn't read the question fully. you improve your chances to win if the host a) knows where the car is and b) always offers the switch. if these conditions are not in place then things may be different.

I skimmed over the question and missed that the switch was already offered pre selection

btw kin your reply is incorrect, it's not correct to switch because he shows you a goat. it's correct to switch because you knew he would show you a goat and you knew he would offer you the switch

If he knows where the goat is, it means he obviously knows where the car is.  Because he will always show a goat to you, from the two you haven't picked that makes it more likely that the goat will be in the one you didn't pick, rather than the one you did pick.

I think we're actually in agreement here.

MereNovice
Gamesmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2008, 01:45:42 PM »

I think EVERYONE is in agreement here apart from Compo who is in serious denial.

gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2008, 01:47:13 PM »

If he knows where the goat is, it means he obviously knows where the car is.  Because he will always show a goat to you, from the two you haven't picked that makes it more likely that the goat will be in the one you didn't pick, rather than the one you did pick.

we are in agreement, don't think compo is though, do you want to see if we can swap a goat for his car @ luton?

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2008, 02:39:21 PM »

we are in agreement, don't think compo is though, do you want to see if we can swap a goat for his car @ luton?

Maybe we should show him the door?

sweet potata!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2008, 04:49:42 PM »

Lol , that didnt go too well !......I liked that goat question though
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: