blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:05:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272576 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  looking for laptop and dongle? anyone help
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: looking for laptop and dongle? anyone help  (Read 2722 times)
robbiebox
me

View Profile WWW
« on: August 29, 2008, 02:05:48 PM »

My laptop has just died on me and looking for a new one, want something as cheap as possible that will do the job for poker with preferably a wide screen.

Also want to be a bit more mobile so thinking of ditching the broadband at home and getting a dongle.

Anyone know of best current offers. Online would be good or will be in London on Saturday.

Cheers in advance

Luckbox is my most successful strategy.
http://bigdealinabox.blogspot.com/
Suited_Jock

i-reraise.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 02:16:21 PM »

If you don't mind going into a contract you can get a free laptop/dongle for like £30 a month from the carphone warehouse.
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 02:27:47 PM »

I hear a lot of bad things about those though, people getting a signal so slow that it is close to useless, but they're stuck in a 12/18 month contract.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
bragunn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 02:40:11 PM »

I wouldnt recommend an Acer. They are cheap, the specs look good - but you need to be able to see the screen for specs to be useful! I sent mine back after 1 day and the replacement after one week.

My sis and bro both have viao's they seem alright.

Amatay

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 03:30:46 PM »

Are them dongle things any good?? Do you just plug them into your lappy and bingo you are connected? Is it that simple?

There is no better feeling than rocking up in a city for the first time, with nowhere to stay and everything new - so liberating.
Moskvich

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 05:13:57 PM »

Are them dongle things any good?? Do you just plug them into your lappy and bingo you are connected? Is it that simple?

Pretty much that simple, but it seems to make a massive difference where you are, so I'm not sure you could consider them truly mobile. Mine works absolutely fine where I am, but at my mum's house for example, which is near the middle of a pretty big town, it's as Tank says, with a very weak signal and an unbelievably slow connection.
Robert HM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 05:22:01 PM »

PC World in Croydon were doing deals last week, they were slashing prices of laptops in line with the type of mobile cotract you took at the same time. Didn't pay too much attention as I wasn't interested at the time.

http://www.rooms-direct.co.uk - If you need some furniture, give Shogun a shout, he can do you some discount for Blonde Poker forum members..
Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »

Look at Novatech.com, next day delivery and an extra years warranty if you want it, if you see anything you fancy pm me and I'll ask for a better price for you as we have a corporate account with them, or if you can wait till Monday our acc manager is great, tell him what you want, what you want it to do and he'll sort the cheapest option for you, I'll pass you his phone no.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 08:58:59 PM by Supernova » Logged

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
Div

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 07:16:11 PM »

Pretty much that simple, but it seems to make a massive difference where you are, so I'm not sure you could consider them truly mobile. Mine works absolutely fine where I am, but at my mum's house for example, which is near the middle of a pretty big town, it's as Tank says, with a very weak signal and an unbelievably slow connection.

Can't vouch for all the networks, but T-Mobile definitely has a feature where you can input postcodes on their website and get an indicator of the likely performance in that area.

They also provide free WiFi where available, so if you are sitting in Starbucks, an airport, or other HotSpot, then you can use that instead of the 3G connection.

'Price is what you pay. Value is what you get.'
- Warren Buffett

http://pokerdiv.blogspot.com
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 06:24:03 PM »

I have an EEE1000 and Orange dongle. As stated, it really depends where u are, i only really use it to play poker in the pub and it works fine for that. The occasions i have used the internet though are as others have stated, if you can get a 3g signal then its all good, if it can only pick up a GPRS signal its a waste of time.

Id strongly advise to avoid the packages about at the moment. Many of them will only include a few gig of downloads, billing you for anything over this. The worst bit though is that your paying over the odds for the service. A normal dongle is about £15 a month, PC World will do you one for £45 a month on a 24 month contract and then give you a £400 laptop free? Its a ripoff youve actually just paid £720 quid for it!

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
WYSINWYG

MPD sufferer. (+2 Hidden)

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 08:19:18 PM »

Can't vouch for all the networks, but T-Mobile definitely has a feature where you can input postcodes on their website and get an indicator of the likely performance in that area.

They also provide free WiFi where available, so if you are sitting in Starbucks, an airport, or other HotSpot, then you can use that instead of the 3G connection.

talktothehand Tried this, cost me 30 quid in coffee and muffins Sad

I hear about the 3G etc dongles being slow but are they reliable enough to use for online poker?

They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue.
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 12:39:36 PM »

I hear about the 3G etc dongles being slow but are they reliable enough to use for online poker?

I think RED DOG uses one, he may be able to help...

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
The_nun

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 02:35:46 PM »

I called Red yesterday to ask how big his dongle was. After informing his size was quite adequate, but it is the reception that can be doggy with the one I am trialing, I went ahead with T Mobile. Tom rates Vodaphone.

Anyway mine came today 3g, T Mobile trial for 7 days. Now, I will ( if I chose to take it ) be tied in for 18 months @ £15 per month. My line of thought is if I am happy with it to knock BT line rental and Sky on the head. Trying to make cutbacks and with telly being totally crap I thought it may be a good idea. Thoughts or experience anyone?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 02:43:32 PM by The_nun » Logged

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 02:58:56 PM »

I have a 3G dongle right now and it seems that, unless you know someone with a dongle who can test it in your house, you'll have no idea how well it will work as it's so location dependent.

I'm in London, apparantly enveloped by shit-hot super fast mobile broadband coverage, but I can't connect in a room at the back of the house, but it works fine in the front.
The_nun

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 03:10:08 PM »

It came today Andrew for the trial, works fine around my home on it now, as fast if not faster than Sky. Just wondered long term and coverage and any other problems anyone has had before committing.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: