blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:18:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Calling Omaha Experts
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Calling Omaha Experts  (Read 1550 times)
Blatch

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2008, 10:18:13 AM »

Hi guys,

Im not the greatest of Omaha players, i play quite tight but have been making some good money on the cash games live.  After speaking to a few the opinions change on what I should have done, so all opinions welcome.

Its 4 Card O, with 8 players at the table.

I hold  and its been raised to 10 and already had 5 callers by time it gets to me in small blind.  I make up as does BB.

Flop comes down  two hearts

Your first to act?  What should I have done?

I checked, intending to check raise.   There was about 70 in the pot at the time and im sat with around 800.

Action went as follows ...

BB playing 800 checks
Orig Raiser playing 180 bets pot of 70
Caller 1 Very tight calls with 200 behind
Caller 2 On Button, only genuine real Omaha player at table calls, leaving 250 behind
Me next to act and this is my decision ...

Do I Pump it maybe expecting a few to call as semi short stacked considering the noe hefty pot  ..... or

Flat call and pump on turn if a non diamon comes??

As said I really didnt know what to do so all opinions welcome.

Thanks,
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 10:21:29 AM »

So many draws out there, must be at least 15 cards you dont want to see on the turn, I get it in here, as much as i can... Pot is now £280, i'd bump it up to that...

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 10:32:03 AM »

No point flatting vs so many short stacks. Just set them in, you don't want to flat, see a paired turn and lose their cash, also it's not just the straight and f-draw outs you need to avoid, you don't want the bb coming along with a hand like QQJJ and stacking off to him on the turn. If everyone was deeper I'd deffo lead but not for full pot.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 10:34:44 AM by NoflopsHomer » Logged

TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 10:34:50 AM »

No point flatting vs so many short stacks. Just set them in, you don't want to flat, see a paired turn and lose their cash. If everyone was deeper I'd deffo lead but not for full pot.

If we know ppl are so readily calling pot sized bets, can we not lead out for the full amount?

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
RichEO

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 10:37:11 AM »

Get it all in now.

You aren't going to fold on the turn even if a diamond comes but someone with a wrap will. Get the money in before a diamond or a pair up. Then rebuy obv Tongue
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 10:51:09 AM »

No point flatting vs so many short stacks. Just set them in, you don't want to flat, see a paired turn and lose their cash. If everyone was deeper I'd deffo lead but not for full pot.

If we know ppl are so readily calling pot sized bets, can we not lead out for the full amount?

We don't want to be blasted out the pot on the turn. Any 8, 7, 4, 3 or diamond and we have to slow right down for sure, heck any card above a T and I'm not 100% on my hand given I'd deffo call with a high double pair here. A slightly smaller bet does not represent as much strength, does the same job, and also if you vary what you bet with from sets to n-flush draws to combi-draws (probably not wraps on a 2-flush board though) to two pair to occasionally air on dry boards. The pot doesn't get quite so big and also gives a chance for opponents to re-raise you. I would pot a safe turn though.

Blatch

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 11:00:30 AM »

Ok thanks guys, seems like I played it wrong, although didnt really matter.

I flatted and the BB then potted it for me

Orig raiser called.
Other two folded
I then repotted and got it all in agianst other big stack.

BB re potted with  Two Clubs Two Diamonds and it held up for a nice £1300 side pot, although the Orig raiser sucked out with set of Aces when Ace hit turn.  Amazingly no one was on the flush draw so the diamond on the turn made no difference.
RichEO

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 11:26:57 AM »

Flatting is probably what got you the side pot. Had you raised you could have scared bottom set away (assuming he is a player that would fold bottom set!).
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 12:29:10 PM »

Flatting is probably what got you the side pot. Had you raised you could have scared bottom set away (assuming he is a player that would fold bottom set!).

What do you think to BB potting this with bottom set?

Should he be looking to keep the pot low with this board? Seems very dangerous to me with no definite redraws except the other 2.

And how about him calling the pot reraise? Can he possibly think he's winning? I know he's committed half his stack but this looks like a good time to make a crying fold unless your stacked oppo has been making this move previously with draws.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 12:56:07 PM »

Bottom set is not strong enough to c/r in a multiway pot imo.

RichEO

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 03:51:57 PM »

What do you think to BB potting this with bottom set?

Should he be looking to keep the pot low with this board? Seems very dangerous to me with no definite redraws except the other 2.

And how about him calling the pot reraise? Can he possibly think he's winning? I know he's committed half his stack but this looks like a good time to make a crying fold unless your stacked oppo has been making this move previously with draws.

Undoubtably a bad play which makes me think that he is the sort of player that would call off with bottom set anyway BUT He may have decided that his hand is good against a flat call though and is trying to build a big side pot against a drawing hand - with the hope that he might good for the main pot.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: