blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 12, 2024, 06:09:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272982 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  95% of players are losers?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 95% of players are losers?  (Read 3488 times)
thetank

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2008, 08:59:37 PM »

I remeber reading about poker back in 2003/2004 and the books told you that 95% of poker players were long term losers.
These books were written primarily based on the live poker game.

Four or five years later, I am still seeing this statistic being quoted here and there.

Given that the game has changed so much in the last five years, the game is easy to take up from the comfort of your own home, players have instant access to a wealth of advice and helpful software, as well as less rake (and rake-back) helping a players bottom line.
Do you think the 95% is still accurate.

If not, does anyone have any insight as to what the figure might be today.?

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 09:02:22 PM »

Im a loser

but i make a nice profit playing poker

in fact im a total degenerate

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 09:04:01 PM »

My understanding was that 15% of poker players today were winners, with 1% being massive winners (dunno what the definition of massive is btw). I think the 5% is from, as you say, the live days.
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 09:10:27 PM »

Im a loser

but i make a nice profit playing poker

in fact im a total degenerate
+1 excluding the winning at poker bit

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 09:13:19 PM »

I dunno this could be accurate

I know the owner of a skin on Boss told me once 95% of players on that site were unprofitable...

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 09:13:37 PM »

Fewer big winners these days - that money ihas been redistributed so there are more small winners.

Very very few game crushers on the internet now.
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 09:21:47 PM »

If 95% of players are losers still, I can believe that.

A good deal of them might just be of the type to deposit a tenner, have a casual punt in their pyjamas, then decide that online poker isn't for them.

I wonder what % of people who play online at least four times a month are long term losers? I'm pretty sure that number would be less than 95%.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 09:22:35 PM »

My understanding was that 15% of poker players today were winners, with 1% being massive winners.

Do you know where this comes from?

LLevan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 09:32:41 PM »

IMO at least 95% are losers, the online industry is huge and there are many skins/sites taking a hell of a lot of money out of the games and personally I wouldn't be in the slightest bit shocked if the actual figure was nearer 99%. Recreational players deposit maybe £50 per month and month after month they find themselves redepositing. They treat it as a hobby and as such £50 per month is not a huge expense however as the credit crunch/recession deepens these recreational players will slowly cut back on their deposits and the online grinders will find it harder to earn a living out of the game.
ItsMrAlex2u

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 10:19:43 PM »

If 95% of players are losers still, I can believe that.

A good deal of them might just be of the type to deposit a tenner, have a casual punt in their pyjamas, then decide that online poker isn't for them.

I wonder what % of people who play online at least four times a month are long term losers? I'm pretty sure that number would be less than 95%.

I think the 95 still applies and if anything it may have gone up.
As you say, a lot will be made up of the occasional depositor of which there are hundreds of thousands, and even the player that plays once a week, most will be losers. If they were winning they would play more. These will be hobby players who enjoy the odd tournament or cash game. Most of them losers.

The only winning players (with the odd exception) will be those who commit serious time to the game. There are still loads of those but only a few will win. Most will just deposit and lose on a large scale.

Liberace (2nd in wcoop main event) is a perfect example. Look at his stats and before last night he was a regular tourny player at high buy in level and was $50k down over the last year or so.

The game has got tougher since the USA law change and I agree with the comment that there are VERY few players really coining it in. Maybe 0.5% if that. 2 or 3 % will be making good money ranging from enough to live on to just a bit of pocket money.

Best QM ever

FACT !
bhoywonder

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 10:21:14 PM »

Tank,with the deepening credit crunch.do you not think that every player will be long term losers.just not enough dead money around to make a living from?discuss

may your god go with you

Scottish Open Apat online gold medal winner 2008
ItsMrAlex2u

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 10:24:24 PM »

Think of the Blonde community. A crowd that have more than a passing interest in the game thats for sure. Whats your best estimate of winning player % of Blondes?

I wouldnt even like to hazard a guess. It will obviously be higher than the norm % but it wont be all that high.

Best QM ever

FACT !
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 10:27:45 PM »

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=27163.0

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 10:28:19 PM »

lol at ckingusc.  Won 1.7m last night and is still playing mtt's today!  

bhoywonder

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 10:28:29 PM »

Im just glad i don,t rely on poker for a living.apart from the fact i am gash,times they be hard.tank are you eating candles yet.this can be a sign.

may your god go with you

Scottish Open Apat online gold medal winner 2008
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: