blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:37:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Best of blonde
| | | |-+  Jeff "Jaffa Cake" Kimber: in the well
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jeff "Jaffa Cake" Kimber: in the well  (Read 70351 times)
JaffaCake

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2008, 07:50:16 PM »

Having been successful online first and then in Live tournaments, what would say are the biggest differences between the two?
I think when I switched between online and offline, online tourneys were different (easier) than they are now. Having said that I think the ECOOP last week was my biggest ever online result so it's not like it's changed tooooo much. The biggest difference is definitely the preflop aggression online, esp on the American sites. At first I found concentration an issue offline, as when I play online I’m generally on a laptop curled up on a sofa watching Sky Sports, but I soon got used to that. The more I played live, the more I started to pick up on physical things that other players do, although I still find it hard to put 100% faith in these reads.

Do you find it easy to spot an 'internet' player at a live table and how would you approach them?

Yeah, they’re the ones with ipods, baseball caps and look young enough to be my son.  All sorts of things give away internet players, they’re inability to handle chips and cards, messy stacking of chips (Moorman lol) and generally their lack of comfort. I felt the need to wear shades when I first played live, as much for comfort of staring at others as to averting their gaze. You find a lot more physical tells on these players….I spotted a tell on you in that mammoth heads-up against Jeff Duvall which I pointed out to Trigg and seemed right every time we got to see you cards hehe. I’ll tell ya next time we meet up. Barny Boatman reckons we all have loads of tells and the only way to rectify them is watch yourself on TV. I watch myself and can’t spot anything, apart from that I’ve always got it Shocked)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 07:51:52 PM by JaffaCake » Logged
Rivertony

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2008, 07:53:25 PM »

BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!
littlemissC

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2008, 07:53:44 PM »

What did you do with your life before Facebook was invented?

there was life before facebook? i'm sure if anyone knows it's u copper
who's the highest ranked copper out of you and karl? Pretty close call IMO LOL
JaffaCake

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2008, 08:08:05 PM »

Karl. Congratulations on your recent marriage btw
littlemissC

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2008, 08:18:41 PM »

cheers probs see u in Bahamas u can congratulate us in person,looooooooooooooool
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 08:25:31 PM by littlemissC » Logged
Pab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2008, 10:26:34 PM »

Having been successful online first and then in Live tournaments, what would say are the biggest differences between the two?
I think when I switched between online and offline, online tourneys were different (easier) than they are now. Having said that I think the ECOOP last week was my biggest ever online result so it's not like it's changed tooooo much. The biggest difference is definitely the preflop aggression online, esp on the American sites. At first I found concentration an issue offline, as when I play online I’m generally on a laptop curled up on a sofa watching Sky Sports, but I soon got used to that. The more I played live, the more I started to pick up on physical things that other players do, although I still find it hard to put 100% faith in these reads.

Do you find it easy to spot an 'internet' player at a live table and how would you approach them?

Yeah, they’re the ones with ipods, baseball caps and look young enough to be my son.  All sorts of things give away internet players, they’re inability to handle chips and cards, messy stacking of chips (Moorman lol) and generally their lack of comfort. I felt the need to wear shades when I first played live, as much for comfort of staring at others as to averting their gaze. You find a lot more physical tells on these players….I spotted a tell on you in that mammoth heads-up against Jeff Duvall which I pointed out to Trigg and seemed right every time we got to see you cards hehe. I’ll tell ya next time we meet up. Barny Boatman reckons we all have loads of tells and the only way to rectify them is watch yourself on TV. I watch myself and can’t spot anything, apart from that I’ve always got it Shocked)

sigh, ill stop eating oreo's while im playing.....

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2008, 10:31:23 PM »

I certainly think it’s harder to get a deal if all you offer is the ability to play poker well, rather than be some kind of glamour model who plays cards or a bored actor or retired footballer famous for something else and looking for a new hobby. Certainly being a former journalist helps me though….at least if Ladbrokes send me halfway round the world for a tourney and I go out first hand, I can give them some value in terms of content for their website and write for magazines. The role of a sponsored player is changing, the good old days are certainly behind us, but it’s up to us to change and give the sites what they want (or clear off).

Golden words.

The day when sponsored players were just freerolling to play poker are fast disappearing, & not before time, the real world awaits.

I think the Laddies sponsorship model is superb - everyone has to do more than just play poker, & that's how it should be.

A handful of guys have grasped this. You, Thewy, Karl, are three great examples, genuine Ambassadors, who handle themselves well, win & lose with dignity, & reflect well upon their Sponsors. - I'm sure there are many more.

Congrats to Ladbrokes, on having a top-notch Team, a great Site, & to you for bluffing 'em well enough get the deal. Wink

See you soon Jeff - & send that Skalie fella across to do "In the Well".

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
JaffaCake

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2008, 01:38:14 AM »

sigh, ill stop eating oreo's while im playing.....

lol...or drinkin corona?
JaffaCake

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2008, 01:58:28 AM »

I certainly think it’s harder to get a deal if all you offer is the ability to play poker well, rather than be some kind of glamour model who plays cards or a bored actor or retired footballer famous for something else and looking for a new hobby. Certainly being a former journalist helps me though….at least if Ladbrokes send me halfway round the world for a tourney and I go out first hand, I can give them some value in terms of content for their website and write for magazines. The role of a sponsored player is changing, the good old days are certainly behind us, but it’s up to us to change and give the sites what they want (or clear off).

Golden words.

The day when sponsored players were just freerolling to play poker are fast disappearing, & not before time, the real world awaits.

I think the Laddies sponsorship model is superb - everyone has to do more than just play poker, & that's how it should be.

A handful of guys have grasped this. You, Thewy, Karl, are three great examples, genuine Ambassadors, who handle themselves well, win & lose with dignity, & reflect well upon their Sponsors. - I'm sure there are many more.

Congrats to Ladbrokes, on having a top-notch Team, a great Site, & to you for bluffing 'em well enough get the deal. Wink

See you soon Jeff - & send that Skalie fella across to do "In the Well".
Very kind of u to say so gramps, rumours of your grumpiness are vastly exageratted Grin

I think when I was offered my deal I realised how lucky I was, looking around at great players  I was travelling with like Paul Jackson, Nick Gibson, Iwan Jones, so I think acting responsibley and representing the brand are the least any sponsored pro can do. I think the Ladbrokes team is especially representative of that, and the make up of the team reflects that. All of our pros are what I would term 'Ladbrokes players'....me n Skalie have played tournies there since the site launched, Nebuchad and Pokergirl have carved up the biggest cash games there for yrs.

If u look at a site like Betfair, they sponsor some very good players, but they're not 'Betfair players'. Annette and Sorel made their names on Stars, John was a Ladbrokes player (they even use his Laddies nick, Kunku_Wap)...I don't think that helps with a site's identity. Laddies players can look at our team and say I've played that guy every nite, I'm better than him, if I keep winnng I'll be sponsored too. I think that's how a sponsorship should be, it should be aspirational for the recreational player.

And btw it's an honour to be asked to do this, skalie posted on this thread and i'm sure he would do it as would many others, hope u find it worthwhile...
Dry em
Hit Squad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2008, 05:01:26 AM »

Karl. Congratulations on your recent marriage btw

Jeff you are far too modest. Nobody utilises today's plethora of online networking tools to a level as high as your good self.

I would also like to add my congratulations to the latest facebook couple and will too see them on their honeymoon in Jan. MBSFN.

sweet potata!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2008, 04:33:28 PM »

Hey mate, i could be mistaking but wasnt it you that was sat next to jennifer titty er i mean tilly in a poker million heat ?

a) u looked far from impressed with her rabble , are looks deceiving ?

b) is she as annoying in reality as she came acrosss on the tv that night ?

c) having got a close up on the breastage , can you confirm if she could breastfeed a creche ?

Thanks

(Ignore if i am mistaking you for someone else)
gribbo

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2008, 12:53:13 PM »

Hi,
    What kind of BR advice would you give for someone playing playing HU sngs?

Also how often/would you advice shot taking?

What do you prefer HU cash/SNGS?

Who is the best/toughest player you have faced HU?

Thanks!
JaffaCake

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2008, 08:00:15 PM »

Hey mate, i could be mistaking but wasnt it you that was sat next to jennifer titty er i mean tilly in a poker million heat ?

c) having got a close up on the breastage , can you confirm if she could breastfeed a creche ?

Thanks

Hehe, no that was me sad beside tilly. I wasn’t in the best of moods that day after some non-poker related stuff that week, and I have to say she is the most annoying person I’ve ever met. They didn’t show much of it on TV (probably so as to not piss off their audience), but she was singing, talking in baby voices, rabbiting on about nothing in between hands with noone responding to her, it was truly bizarre. When me met her at the hotel she was fine, dressed in jeans and t-shirt, seemed nice enough…as soon as we got to the studio she disappeared to squeeze into that basque thing and became a different person….I guess that’s actresses for you. And I tried not to notice…she wants to put them away.

Someone told me at the PM party that she’s retired from poker now, is that right? Maybe my stroppiness served a purpose lol
JaffaCake

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2008, 08:09:22 PM »

Hi,
    What kind of BR advice would you give for someone playing playing HU sngs?

Also how often/would you advice shot taking?

What do you prefer HU cash/SNGS?

Who is the best/toughest player you have faced HU?

Thanks!
I wouldn’t take any bankroll advice from me, apart from the bankrolling sites like BadBeat seem to be a great idea for those of us too stupid to put our own rules in place. Ben Grundy seems to be getting the absolute cake with their help these days so if I was struggling BR wise I would use their services.

I think the important thing in shot taking is to be brave enough to move back down quickly if it’s either not going well or you’re out of your depth, if you do that u won’t go far wrong.

I mush prefer HU sngs, altho to be honest I don’t play that much of either. I go through stages of playing them tho.

The best player I faced live HU was probably Carlos Mortensen, who beat me HU to win the Johnny Chan Invitational in Turcs and Caicos….although it wasn’t a long HU as I limp-reraised him with AQ and got him to call all his chips with just AK, sigh. In the World HU my toughest match was against Oscar Blanco, who was a real tough cookie to crack, and also had a massive home support cheering him on. Online my heads up against Jesper Hougaard in the $1k PLO ECOOP last week lasted nearly two hours which was a real slog.
riverdave

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2008, 09:35:40 PM »

Thanks

Hehe, no that was me sad beside tilly. I wasn’t in the best of moods that day after some non-poker related stuff that week, and I have to say she is the most annoying person I’ve ever met. They didn’t show much of it on TV (probably so as to not piss off their audience), but she was singing, talking in baby voices, rabbiting on about nothing in between hands with noone responding to her, it was truly bizarre. When me met her at the hotel she was fine, dressed in jeans and t-shirt, seemed nice enough…as soon as we got to the studio she disappeared to squeeze into that basque thing and became a different person….I guess that’s actresses for you. And I tried not to notice…she wants to put them away.

Someone told me at the PM party that she’s retired from poker now, is that right? Maybe my stroppiness served a purpose lol

substance abuse ftw?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: