blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 04:57:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272772 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Different kind of staking
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 ... 83 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Different kind of staking  (Read 183865 times)
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: March 03, 2009, 08:48:04 PM »

Personally i would prefer a bet every race, i.e. 20 per day.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #466 on: March 03, 2009, 10:28:40 PM »

I can explain the "what about the 1 bet a month ratio" question fairly easily.

This is the time when the formlines have been established.

This is the time of the big races, horses have been out for a few races and the form is solid (if you read it right) and there's still value to be had.
The start of any season is when you have a  low betting rate. (untill the guinneas meeting I wouldn't even think about touching the flat races (unless something ridiculous jumps out) and I would also wait a few months into the jumps season before jumping in then).

Coming towards the highlight of the season (Cheltenham and Aintree) every horse should start running towards its full potential and that's the time to back the winners.

During the flat season..July and August will see a higher % of bets than April and May will.

I won't place bets every week for the entire year but if I wasn't backing horses now I would never have a bet. When you see value, you take value. The one thing I can not do it artificially impose a limit on the nr of bets..wether that'd be a bet every week or just one bet every month.

Unless of course Kab expects someone to go through Cheltenham without a bet (and there's value to be had there) because he backed winners a few weeks before that and has now reached the max nr of bets he's allowed to have for the month? That doesn't make any sense to me.

I still expect the average nr of bets over the entire year to come out at between 1 and 2 a month...there are loads of dead moments in the racing calendar, this isn't one of them IMO.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
LeKnave

the end of days...

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: March 03, 2009, 10:29:32 PM »

hahahahaha
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: March 03, 2009, 10:30:35 PM »

lol

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 03, 2009, 11:31:50 PM »

Personally i would prefer we just put the lot on one horse and all scooped some proper money.

FYP

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 04, 2009, 12:15:20 AM »

Well Boldie the reason I asked is because in your original pitch for this(which you appear to have removed) you stated that one of your advantages of having a large bankroll for serious betting was that you would only have very few bets (on average one per month) as opposed to your normal personal betting pattern of having bets every weekend because you liked having a bet, which you seem to be doing lately.

I love The Cheltenham Festival and always have quite a few bets, but would not consider it the greatest betting opportunity in the NH calendar unless I have some great ante-post vouchers. Neither I would consider Royal Ascot to be the greatest value opportunuty in the flat calendar but I usually have a few bets there too, but that is because I enjoy racing so much more when I have had a bet.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #471 on: March 04, 2009, 06:10:37 AM »

Well Boldie the reason I asked is because in your original pitch for this 1(which you appear to have removed) you stated that one of your advantages of having a large bankroll for serious betting was that you would only have very few bets (on average one per month) 2 as opposed to your normal personal betting pattern of having bets every weekend because you liked having a bet, which you seem to be doing lately.

3 I love The Cheltenham Festival and always have quite a few bets, but would not consider it the greatest betting opportunity in the NH calendar unless I have some great ante-post vouchers. Neither I would consider Royal Ascot to be the greatest value opportunuty in the flat calendar but I usually have a few bets there too, but that is because I enjoy racing so much more when I have had a bet.

1. Yes, I removed the OP..there's not much need in keeping a massive post up if everything is closed...(it was removed ages ago) In the OP it stated it would be slightly over 1 a month. and, like I said earlier, I am sure it will even out over the year and I still expect it to be an average between 1 and 2 over the year.

2; If I did this well every time I bet because "I liked having a bet" I wouldn't have to work another day in my life. I don't just fling in bets because I like to have a bet (at least not with this money). I have studied the form of every race for hours every week ( an average of 8 hours a week studying form, 2 hours every day and 3/4 on Friday saturday) trying to find some value and find some winners. Really, "liking to have a bet" has nothing to do with it...or I would have had many many more bets already.
I couldn't possibly take this thing any more seriously than I am.

3; I won't be having "quite a few bets" this Cheltenham..."quite a few bets" is for mugs who don't mind losing their money. I am thinking about 3 in total and those three aren't even necessarily going to happen.

As stated in my original reply, it will even out...these things always do.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 04, 2009, 08:08:55 AM »

quite a few bets" is for mugs who don't mind losing their money. I am thinking about 3 in total and those three aren't even necessarily going to happen.

I usually bet in every race at Cheltenham and i've never had a losing festival.

Probs bokked myself here but w/e.

I will put in about 100 hours of research and i have decent info from work, so i wouldnt expect to start this yr.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:12:19 AM by Horneris » Logged

StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: March 04, 2009, 09:12:30 AM »

I once had quite a few bets in one race at Cheltenham. But then again I am a mug!

Lol, Im happy with your answer Boldie. As stated it was more curiosity than anything else. More trying to work out how you do it if you like.

Keep up the good work.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 04, 2009, 10:40:52 AM »

So I guess that makes me a "mug who doesn't mind losing his money" according to boldielocks.

Although my record over many years would actually suggest otherwise.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #475 on: March 04, 2009, 12:52:36 PM »

So I guess that makes me a "mug who doesn't mind losing his money" according to boldielocks.

sigh surely you, of all people, know just as well as I do that most people do their bollocks at Cheltenham because they back too many horses during the festival? They get carried away with the whole thing (very understandable).

I am not talking about ante-post bets (although too many of them obviously also defeat the purpose)..I am talking about people backing 3 or 4 horses each day...it's what the bookies count on people doing...as they do every day.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #476 on: March 04, 2009, 12:55:36 PM »

quite a few bets" is for mugs who don't mind losing their money. I am thinking about 3 in total and those three aren't even necessarily going to happen.

I usually bet in every race at Cheltenham and i've never had a losing festival.

Probs bokked myself here but w/e.

I will put in about 100 hours of research and i have decent info from work, so i wouldnt expect to start this yr.

this makes all the difference though, no? Surely someone putting in hundreds of ours of research doesn't count as an ordinary mug? Most people don't put in that much research and still have a bet every race...those are the guys that lose their money.

I do think that betting every race at Cheltenham, even if you do hundreds of hours of research, is probably not the most profitable way to work it..but variance is obv lower if you do it that way.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 04, 2009, 01:54:45 PM »

sigh surely you, of all people, know just as well as I do that most people do their bollocks at Cheltenham because they back too many horses during the festival? They get carried away with the whole thing (very understandable).

I am not talking about ante-post bets (although too many of them obviously also defeat the purpose)..I am talking about people backing 3 or 4 horses each day...it's what the bookies count on people doing...as they do every day.

It's a pity you removed your original post as I am quite curious to see how many "tips" you recommended during February and March last year.

Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: March 04, 2009, 01:56:47 PM »

It's a pity you removed your original post as I am quite curious to see how many "tips" you recommended during February and March last year.

Let it go Ralph ... If you have bought into the plan fine ... if you havent you are coming across like a jealous bitter man who hates the fact that someone might be better at tipping winners than you.

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 04, 2009, 02:16:30 PM »

I do think that betting every race at Cheltenham, even if you do hundreds of hours of research, is probably not the most profitable way to work it..but variance is obv lower if you do it that way.

Does not necessary follow

I assume the reason why you're not betting on all races is because you aren't happy with your edge in some of them.

Lower edge can mean much greater variance, and this can often negate a larger sample size.

eg, Variance will be mucho mucho bigger playing 1,000 $16 STTs on Stars, than it will playing 500 games at an equivalent buy-in on ipoker.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 02:19:38 PM by thetank » Logged

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 ... 83 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: