blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:15:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272480 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  blonde, going forward.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: blonde, going forward.  (Read 36003 times)
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 29, 2009, 11:05:47 PM »

Taken me 2 hrs to read all this and catch up. 

Bad decision I think to "suspend" the updates. 

What I don't get and this isn't a criticism but Tighty has responded a few times about this "bad business model" he inherited.  When was this realised and why were things not changed sooner?

Viable ideas have been refuted in the past the donate button is a great idea, the subscriptions for the updates isn't a bad idea to counter the arguement about cutting and pasting why not disable the right click button?

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 29, 2009, 11:08:35 PM »

What I don't get and this isn't a criticism but Tighty has responded a few times about this "bad business model" he inherited.  When was this realised and why were things not changed sooner?

We've never had sufficient cash to tide us over to go through the process of change for example go affiliate only

realised...? well over a year ago, and we've had to work with the hand we've been dealt

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
technolog
Fib & Archie's dad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: January 29, 2009, 11:10:47 PM »

I claim no business acumen so please be gentle when dissecting these ideas.

How about only allowing blonde forum accounts with an associated card room account to access the updates. All but new sign-ups have to have played on blonde in the previous month to maintain access?

To get (what sounds like) some much needed investment, could a section of willing members club together to buy a shareholding?

It's better to be looking at it than looking for it.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 29, 2009, 11:34:46 PM »

I would have thought the days of starting a new affiliate are long gone.

Most players are signed up with most networks now.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 29, 2009, 11:35:50 PM »

How about only allowing blonde forum accounts with an associated card room account to access the updates. All but new sign-ups have to have played on blonde in the previous month to maintain access?

To get (what sounds like) some much needed investment, could a section of willing members club together to buy a shareholding?

Now that IS interesting. Thank you. Tighty, pick the bones out of that!

The Shareholding question is much more complex, & I'll answer it later, after I've finished my PTP session, too busy right now, sorry.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 12:11:15 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Dingdell

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 29, 2009, 11:40:59 PM »

Now that IS cinteresting. Thank you. Tighty, pick the bones out of that!

The Shareholding question is much more complex, & I'll answer it later, after I've finished my PTP session, too busy right now, sorry.

Nice idea but ideally would have to keep them coming back to use the card room ideally. Not just sign up for the night of the update.

How abouts a monthly comp for new signups from that month that have raked over a certain amount or something similar?

Also if the competition are offering updates for nothing, no sign up, nothing then I'm not sure if that would work, the public will go where it's easy?

I like the theroy behind it though - I'm sure that this could have legs...
Div

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: January 29, 2009, 11:45:24 PM »

I would have thought the days of starting a new affiliate are long gone.

Most players are signed up with most networks now.

There seems to be a fair bit of churn on the networks that use skins. Entraction is a good example since anyone who was on Trillion could swap over to Minted and get a good rakeback deal.

The big standalone networks - Stars, Tilt, Party - are more problematic, but since Blonde tends to be very welcoming to novice players there should still be scope for picking up some new sign ups.

'Price is what you pay. Value is what you get.'
- Warren Buffett

http://pokerdiv.blogspot.com
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 30, 2009, 12:16:33 AM »

looking for some blonde bucks if anyone can help....

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=37896.135

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Card_Shark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: January 30, 2009, 12:21:39 AM »

hate to say this but I am sure a lot of the readers on here will agree. Without live updates you will go the way of poker trillion. They are the number one reason people come here. Ok they may not generate revenue directly but without them you will never get any new players onto your card room and unique user hits to your site will drop massively which will effect the banner advertising revenue (be it pay per click/affiliate or direct sponsorship).

letting snoops and no flops go imo will prove to be the biggest mistake blonde have ever made as you have rightly said they both ARE blonde. God help you if awop or any other firm snap them up as they are both updating gods and huge assets.

I am not trying to inflame things here as I am sure this really hurts you to do but by letting these two go I feel its only a matter of time before the last one to leave should please turn the lights out. Its a shame to see but if AWOP/pokernews/cardplayer etc all run better business models then you then you should be looking at the people who run the business/generate revenue for the site before getting rid of the real assets- snoops and floppy always did their jobs very well and its obviously other peoples fault that blonde is in the state it is currently.

without live updates you are just another poker forum (of which there are many). Your updates were unique because of the ones who are now being punished due to other peoples failed business acumen.

I for one totally agree, fantastic post Russ.

Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 30, 2009, 12:30:24 AM »

Adsense on non poker forums, bingo straight away that's hosting costs paid for instantly. Don't tell forum users to click on them! that of course would be against the rules but say if every forum user clicked on them just once a week its on average $0.50 each weekly. I know I said it before but your throwing away good money not using ad sense and you know your going to get paid monthly. I make $50 a month on a forum with 30 adctive users, go figure.

Blonde seems all rather complicated to me, I guess that's what happens when you have share holders etc. But in these times you have to cut right back and build a solid base again Smiley
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 12:31:56 AM by Acidmouse » Logged
lazaroonie

Your a dead man Den Watts !!

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 30, 2009, 12:37:48 AM »

interesting. i havent read all of the thread yet, but will be going back to do so shortly

To my mind the only possible way that live updates can ever become feasible, and by that I dont just mean that they pay for themselves, but that they actually become serious revenue stream generators, is by some form of syndication. There must be a lot of other forums/cardrooms/sponsors would like to have live updates on their sites, to look after their vested interests. It would be interesting to explore various technologies which could deliver a branded update service to each of them, from the same unbranded source.

apart from that the cardroom needs to stand on its own. spamming existing blonde members isnt going to make them play any more. you need to get the brand out there and give "non blondes" a decision to make as to where they play their poker.

The blog of my friend Colchester Kev
http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 30, 2009, 12:45:38 AM »

hate to say this but I am sure a lot of the readers on here will agree. Without live updates you will go the way of poker trillion. They are the number one reason people come here. Ok they may not generate revenue directly but without them you will never get any new players onto your card room and unique user hits to your site will drop massively which will effect the banner advertising revenue (be it pay per click/affiliate or direct sponsorship).

letting snoops and no flops go imo will prove to be the biggest mistake blonde have ever made as you have rightly said they both ARE blonde. God help you if awop or any other firm snap them up as they are both updating gods and huge assets.

I am not trying to inflame things here as I am sure this really hurts you to do but by letting these two go I feel its only a matter of time before the last one to leave should please turn the lights out. Its a shame to see but if AWOP/pokernews/cardplayer etc all run better business models then you then you should be looking at the people who run the business/generate revenue for the site before getting rid of the real assets- snoops and floppy always did their jobs very well and its obviously other peoples fault that blonde is in the state it is currently.

without live updates you are just another poker forum (of which there are many). Your updates were unique because of the ones who are now being punished due to other peoples failed business acumen.

I for one totally agree, fantastic post Russ.

Hi Steve,

You might agree, but the Post was made on a false premise. Most people do NOT come here for the Live Updates - only 25% do. See here......

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=39867.0

In reality, it was just a thinly veiled attack on Tighty, later admitted by the Poster, who was nursing a grievance following the ban-stick some years ago.

We will NEVER do a "Poker Trillion", because we are honest.  And that's exactly why we did what we did.

Hope you are well, & in good heart.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Djinn

I'm much bigger in real life

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 30, 2009, 12:48:03 AM »

Adsense on non poker forums, bingo straight away that's hosting costs paid for instantly. Don't tell forum users to click on them! that of course would be against the rules but say if every forum user clicked on them just once a week its on average $0.50 each weekly. I know I said it before but your throwing away good money not using ad sense and you know your going to get paid monthly. I make $50 a month on a forum with 30 adctive users, go figure.

Blonde seems all rather complicated to me, I guess that's what happens when you have share holders etc. But in these times you have to cut right back and build a solid base again Smiley

I remember suggesting Google Ads a couple of times (is this the same thing?) but there was some kind of problem, perhaps because it's a 'gaming site' or attached to one?  I can't remember exactly but there was some kind of barrier or this is obviously a good plan. 

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 30, 2009, 12:50:09 AM »

I remember suggesting Google Ads a couple of times (is this the same thing?) but there was some kind of problem, perhaps because it's a 'gaming site' or attached to one?  I can't remember exactly but there was some kind of barrier or this is obviously a good plan. 
Hi Jen,

Yes, you did, but we'll have to wait for Tighty to respond, he'll know why we got knocked back. I do seem to recall it as because we had the Cardroom, but I'm really not quite sure.

Djinn

I'm much bigger in real life

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 30, 2009, 12:50:23 AM »

[

Hi Steve,

You might agree, but the Post was made on a false premise. Most people do NOT come here for the Live Updates - only 25% do. See here......

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=39867.0

In reality, it was just a thinly veiled attack on Tighty, later admitted by the Poster, who was nursing a grievance following the ban-stick some years ago.

We will NEVER do a "Poker Trillion", because we are honest.  And that's exactly why we did what we did.

Hope you are well, & in good heart.

To be fair, that's 25% of people on here on a random Thursday night when no update is on, therefore those who only come for updates or mainly for updates are unlikely to have aired their views.

Having said that, if those people never contribute to the fortune or posting on blonde then I know you consider them to be irrelevant to the discussion anyway, which is reasonable in this context.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: