blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:17:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Learning Centre (Moderators: Longy, JungleCat03)
| | | |-+  How to play 9's
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to play 9's  (Read 6301 times)
Tuffster

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2009, 07:47:39 PM »

This hand came up in the APAT qualifier last night and I'd like your views on how I played it.

Blinds are 100/200 and I have 2820 and I'm in the SB with 9's. I've been playing tightly (probably too tightly) and have not showed down a hand as yet.

It's folded round to the c/o who limps as does the Button, with 700 in the pot I raise it up to 800 in the hope that all fold, BB folds as does c/o, but Button flats (he's playing c.2900).

Given my (overly) tight image, is this a good bet here? The table has been quite "position-limpy" recently, so I'm pretty confident that the raise will take out the drawing/marginal hands on the c/o and button and 700 would be a welcome addition to my stack.

Flop 838 (can't remember the suits), Pot: 2000

I'm first to act and shove the rest of my 2020 over the line, Button types "sigh" in the chat-box and folds. I thought about checking and hoping he tried to bluff me off-it, but decided against it, as I'd have no fold equity and wanted to take it down there without seeing a turn/river that may hit his hand.

I was obviously hoping to take the pot down pre, so when I get a call, I'm putting him on a low pp or QJ+ sort of hands. The overall standard of play at the table has been solid, with no outrageous bluffs etc, but I've not really got a read on the player so the range is a pure guestimate.

Would a pre-flop shove of 14BB have been a better move here? Or is the 4BB raise then re-asses on the flop a better move?

Thanks guys.

edit: 200 off on the pot-size.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 08:10:02 PM by Tuffster » Logged

Insanity Takes it toll......

......Please have correct change.
Jim-D

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 07:49:15 PM »

Get the lot in pre!
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 08:02:03 PM »

Get the lot in pre!

This with the dead money in the pot from the limps, easily the best option pre is to shove.

As played shoving the flop is good.
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 08:23:59 PM »

Shove preflop 100% of the time here...

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
Geff.H

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 07:07:50 PM »

I do not like the allin pre, if you are looked up you are almost certainly out.
I min raise, love the min raise here as you build a decent pot if you hit and you can easily get away if you don't.
You really need a plan with these sorts of hands, it's ok (i guess) hoping for folds but you really need to assume at least 1 oppo is going to call and decide what you are prepared to do.
Stop go is a good tactic here, i like the post flop action.
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 07:51:41 PM »

I do not like the allin pre, if you are looked up you are almost certainly out.
I min raise, love the min raise here as you build a decent pot if you hit and you can easily get away if you don't.
You really need a plan with these sorts of hands, it's ok (i guess) hoping for folds but you really need to assume at least 1 oppo is going to call and decide what you are prepared to do.
Stop go is a good tactic here, i like the post flop action.

Errr...care to show us your reasoning behind all this?

Geff.H

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 12:40:23 AM »

erm ok..............

Line 1 Up to the pre (the first line, no offense) it is a statement, after the comma it's justification (reasoning if you like).
Line 2 (can you keep up?) "i min raise" again a statement, after the comma comes the "reasoning", still ok?
The next line is a statement again but only my actual philosophy of poker, sorry.
The last line is just my opinion, sorry again.
Any further translation required?
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 12:50:40 AM »

erm ok..............

Line 1 Up to the pre (the first line, no offense) it is a statement, after the comma it's justification (reasoning if you like).
Line 2 (can you keep up?) "i min raise" again a statement, after the comma comes the "reasoning", still ok?
The next line is a statement again but only my actual philosophy of poker, sorry.

I don't see why you're being such a smart-ass to a perfectly reasonable question.

After all you've just posted some of the most horrible advice I've ever seen in my life and I would strongly urge OP to completely ignore all of it.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Geff.H

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 12:52:53 AM »

reasoning?
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 12:57:19 AM »

erm ok..............

I think I'll just treat your poker advice with exactly the same contempt you gave to my question.

Geff.H

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 01:03:55 AM »

The question was silly, the anwsers were there, if you argued with me i would've responded properly.
No offense but tell my why you disagree.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 01:08:14 AM »

The limps in the cut off and on the button are likely to mean weak/marginal hands. Even if one of them raises we are shoving as our hand most probably plays very well against their raising ranges in this position.

Minraising out of position is horrible. Why? Playing two nines out of position with a 12bb stack is going to be very difficult and almost every board is not going to be very kind to us in some way or another. You imply that we should be putting almost 15% of our stack in pre flop to set mine when we are better off sticking it in pre-flop and increasing our stack by 25%. If we happen to get called we are likely to be better than 50-50 anyway.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Geff.H

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 01:14:49 AM »

omg
Geff.H

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 01:16:05 AM »

you are right i will let it go
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 01:22:41 AM »

Quote from: GreekStein link=topic=40359.msg912187#msg912187
I don't see why you're being such a smart-ass to a perfectly reasonable question.

After all you've just posted some of the most horrible advice I've ever seen in my life and I would strongly urge OP to completely ignore all of it.

+1

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: