blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:54:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Need some Hand Help
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need some Hand Help  (Read 5414 times)
jezza777

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2005, 12:02:53 PM »

ok so its the 35k gtd on crypto last night there I am 9th out of around 70 players left ( I think) I have 2300 ish in chips.

i pick up  in mid pos and its folded to me i raise to 2400 (blinds are 400/800 with a little ante) i get one caller and both blinds fold . the flop is As He moves in for 6k i have 20k in chips left and have to call 6k to win a possible 19ish. He clearly has an ace . What do I do ?

Also a friend and I are having a debate as to wether or not pot odds come into tournament play . He says you should always fold if u are certain you are beat but i think that you can be pot commited to call. Views?
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 12:07:02 PM »

Did you check to him?

Or did he limp/call your raise?

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
jezza777

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 12:10:13 PM »

I must have checked it to him on the flop (mistake)
Newmanseye

I defy you, stars!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 12:16:30 PM »

I would have re -raised all in representing the flush.  if he made it as far as that then chances are he's not a mug and is capable of laying down the best hand, and you aee drawing to the flush only the  can beat you.

It depends, again on how good a player you think he is. counting up your outs you have 11 outs and a 45% chance of hitting that flush and doubling up, the question is will he risk it, put the pressure back on him.

"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer."

Hans Gruber - Die Hard
jezza777

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 12:18:38 PM »

he moved all in for his remaining 6k when i checked to him. So it was a call or fold situation
Newmanseye

I defy you, stars!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 12:19:52 PM »

I would have called. I would have taken those odds

"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer."

Hans Gruber - Die Hard
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 12:22:46 PM »

OK, Lets say it's most likely he has an Ace and no spade

you then have two queens and nine spades to hit

11 outs twice, and you are getting over 3 to 1 to call

If you lose you have 14k, or 14x Big blinds

Many will be worse placed that you

Call, try and win the tournament.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 12:26:08 PM »

Pot odds must come into your consideration in tournaments, as must the notion of being pot committed (sometimes you raise sufficiently to impy to your foe thast the rest is going in for example)

However I hear quite often "I was pot committed" which actually means..."I made a bad call and that's my excuse"....ie it's over-used.....

My eyes are open wide
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 12:26:38 PM »

Also he may have a pair like JJ, maybe with a spade and has decided that as you've checked it's worth making a play at the pot.

I'd call.

Newmanseye

I defy you, stars!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 12:31:22 PM »

as the only card that beats you is the  and the pot odds are 3 to 1 and you have so many outs its scary, folding is a bad move here, and thats just the math speaking.  If you call this it helps your table image by making good calls people will respect your raises and plays in future, ( mind you chances are they already do at this point anyways).

Call, call Call and if in doubt call.

Hans Gruber - Die Hard
jezza777

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 12:36:49 PM »

Thanks folks much apprecited , i did call and he showed  Ah a loose call in my opinion but fair play to him for giving me the tough decision when i should have pushed and gave the decision to him.

So Tight lets say you can see you opponents cards and you are a 4-1 dog  to win but you are getting 6-1 from the pot is this an automatic call ? Or do you give more credance to the "when your broke your done" side of things?
Phil

AKA mrcoffee182

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 12:38:38 PM »

Certain call from me. All of your outs (QQ and spades) and more than likely to all be live if he does have the ace, and even so, thats the sort of board i think people are likely to make moves on.

To be honest though, i can't put him on a flush or flush draw really. He was reasonably short before so any kind of big ace (with spade kicker for this example) he would probably move in with. I'd have thought he may have hit a set of 7's or 4's.

1st. West Ham. 2nd Poker
Phil

AKA mrcoffee182

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 12:39:58 PM »

Yeah i suppose A10 makes sense too. If I could see his cards at that point though i'd probably still call.

1st. West Ham. 2nd Poker
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 12:41:59 PM »

So Tight lets say you can see you opponents cards and you are a 4-1 dog  to win but you are getting 6-1 from the pot is this an automatic call ? Or do you give more credance to the "when your broke your done" side of things?

http://extempore.livejournal.com/102173.html

This entry on Paul Phillip's blog shows his views on this.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 12:45:11 PM »

my opinion Jezza, and only that, is with 14k left if you lose you have more than enough play to not worry about going broke yet...you can raise, you have bluff equity etc

so call taking pot odds into account

your tournament is not on the line if you lose here

p.s On crypto I see the push by Ax on a flushing board with an A a lot, putting the decision back on the other player

p.p.s I would have bet out 4k first to act as the pre flop raiser representing the A anyway, if he comes over the top you then clearly have the odds

p.p.s A 10 doesn't fold to your 4k on Crypto, but he doesn't necessarily have an Ace when you bet 4k does he?

My eyes are open wide
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: