blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:39:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  "It matters more when there's money on it."
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "It matters more when there's money on it."  (Read 5077 times)
thetank

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2009, 07:55:50 PM »

It matters more when there's money on it.

That's the slogan for the betting with Sky I think. I was wondering how far people agree/disagree with this statement.

Personally, I think it's a bit of a fallacy. Betting doesn't necessarily make a sporting event more exciting, it just makes other things matter less.

A bit like how smoker's believe that a cigarette calms them down and de-stresses them.
The body's need for nicotene is what makes them vulnerable to high levels stress, and when their bodies need for nicotene is satiated temporarily by having a cigarette, it appears as if the cigarette calms them down and makes them less edgy, but all they are really experiencing is the same stress level that a non smoker is getting 100% of the time.
5 or 10 minutes of normality before their body starts screaming for more nicotene, they get stressed out, and so the cycle keeps repeating itself.

With gambling, I've got mates that never punt on anything who are passionate about sports.
If they were to bet on the outcome of a match, would this make them more passionate, or would it just mean that they would be less passionate the next time unless they had another bet.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 08:08:02 PM »

[ ] Tank's won.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 08:13:14 PM »

It's a tragicomedy FFS.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 08:50:41 PM »

I agree with you on this one tank. Betting on football has ruined the beautiful game for me, I can't enjoy a game as much without a few quid on something!

How can I reverse this ?

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 09:03:24 PM »

Probably in the same way people stop smoking.
Every time they feel like having a cigarette, instead of having a cigarette, they don't have a cigarrette.

I wonder if you would go back to normal, or if you're poisoned forever. No idea tbh.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 09:21:38 PM »

It matters more when emotion is involved in it. If a football fan is watching his team play the game will be emotionally exciting for him in comparison to a neutral, so it'll matter more. Look at the excitement the Rookie camp experienced when they were emotionally involved in the 1st at Oxford last week. That emotion makes it better. Money is simply a way to inject artificial emotion into the outcome of an event when the outcome wouldn't normally have any consequence. If you win money you happy, if you lose money you sad. So you can buy into that extra excitement that Rookie had by buying an emotional stake in any sporting event.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 10:54:44 PM »

Money is simply a way to inject artificial emotion into the outcome of an event

Ah, but is it really though. That's the question?
Sure it would pop a bit of emotion if you had the ranch on a match, but £10?

Does it just make it look like you're adding emotion if you're in the habit of regular betting, but really all you are doing is sapping the emotion out of matches you haven't bet on.

My footie mates don't have to support a team playing to get excited about it. They watch La Liga or Bundesliga or whatever is on the box and cheer for whichever team, enjoy the goals, enjoy the game.

I was on the Denver Bronco forum and they have a game where you pick who you think will win all the games in the NFL that week. Whoever gets the most right (or them all right even) gets a bit of kudos.

I was like wtf, I can't do this, what if all my picks came in. I'd be fuming that I didn't have an accumulator on!

That's when I thought that gambling has probably jaded me a tad. All the other fans were enjoying it for what it was, a bit of fun. I couldn't do it, had to ignore thread completely lest I get into the habit of putting on 14 different -EV accumulators every week.

LeKnave

the end of days...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 11:21:44 PM »

When watching a neutral game it makes is soooo much better with action on it imo.
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 11:25:35 PM »

When watching a neutral game it makes is soooo much better with action on it imo.

If you double the action, does that double the excitement?

mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 11:36:11 PM »

If you double the action, does that double the excitement?

You bet it does  thumbs up
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 11:40:13 PM »

Is there a minimum threshold wherby it counts as action? I know there was that famous quote of that famous poker player (I forget who) who went busto and just before he died was playing 1-2 or some tat "It's still action"

I guess this shit is different for everyone.

Newmanseye

I defy you, stars!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 11:54:31 PM »

Is there a minimum threshold wherby it counts as action? I know there was that famous quote of that famous poker player (I forget who) who went busto and just before he died was playing 1-2 or some tat "It's still action"

I guess this shit is different for everyone.

Nick the Greek Dandolos I think it was m8

"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer."

Hans Gruber - Die Hard
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 11:58:52 PM »

Yeah, that sounds about right.

no offence intended on my reverse sheep quiz Q1 answer btw  Wink

bhoywonder

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 12:36:50 AM »

The next best thing to gambling and winning is gambling and losing. Is this quote relevant or will i get my jacket?

may your god go with you

Scottish Open Apat online gold medal winner 2008
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 09:28:24 AM »

Money is simply a way to inject artificial emotion into the outcome of an event

Ah, but is it really though. That's the question?
Sure it would pop a bit of emotion if you had the ranch on a match, but £10?

Does it just make it look like you're adding emotion if you're in the habit of regular betting, but really all you are doing is sapping the emotion out of matches you haven't bet on.

My footie mates don't have to support a team playing to get excited about it. They watch La Liga or Bundesliga or whatever is on the box and cheer for whichever team, enjoy the goals, enjoy the game.

I was on the Denver Bronco forum and they have a game where you pick who you think will win all the games in the NFL that week. Whoever gets the most right (or them all right even) gets a bit of kudos.

I was like wtf, I can't do this, what if all my picks came in. I'd be fuming that I didn't have an accumulator on!

That's when I thought that gambling has probably jaded me a tad. All the other fans were enjoying it for what it was, a bit of fun. I couldn't do it, had to ignore thread completely lest I get into the habit of putting on 14 different -EV accumulators every week.

You could say that the kudos you win for picking those NFL games correctly is the artificial incentive you need to spice up those games though. If your reputation is +1 or -1 after a host of picks you would naturally want to win +1 rep status amongst your peers. You can't really question whether the amount at stake is high enough to create the buzz because that's a purely personal thing. People happily play micro stakes rather than play-money poker but micro stakes would bore me. Whereas when i play high stakes it interets me a lot. If £10 is well within your comfort zone then bet £1000 on a game and then tell me that game isn't more exciting.

bhoywonder is right. Studies have shown that a losing gamble is more chemically satisfying to the brain than no gamble at all. Those metaphysical poets like Dante always wrote about if they had the choice between Purgatory and Hell they would choose Hell every time, because negative emotion and pain has got to be better than no emotion at all and numbness. At least you are feeling something rather than nothing.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 10:18:34 AM by MANTIS01 » Logged

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: