blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:23:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Girgy85's Tales of a Taxi Driver.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 ... 98 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Girgy85's Tales of a Taxi Driver.  (Read 191493 times)
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: October 06, 2009, 11:32:37 AM »

Byron whenever you write about health, fitness, exercising etc you seem like a complete nutter! 15 capsules a day seems a bit extreme

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: October 06, 2009, 11:43:41 AM »

Byron whenever you write about health, fitness, exercising etc you seem like a complete nutter! 15 capsules a day seems a bit extreme

I'm sure it's all good though

and fish oil, tons of it, you prob want about 5g omega 3 a day which is 15 capsules of the stuff I get in tescos

"Intake of 3 grams per day or greater of omega-3 fatty acids may increase the risk of bleeding, although there is little evidence of significant bleeding risk at lower doses. Very large intakes of fish oil/omega-3 fatty acids may increase the risk of hemorrhagic (bleeding) stroke." 
NIH Medline Plus. "MedlinePlus Herbs and Supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids, fish oil, alpha-linolenic acid

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 06, 2009, 11:50:24 AM »

I'm sure it's all good though

Yeah I just meant as in a really serious dedicated to exercise kind of nutter!

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #438 on: October 06, 2009, 11:57:59 AM »

and fish oil, tons of it, you prob want about 5g omega 3 a day which is 15 capsules of the stuff I get in tescos

Really that much, is it better than cod liver oil?

And what evidence are you using for either?

This.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 06, 2009, 11:58:26 AM »

and curlstein you are the very definition of broscience!

this thread goes into it in some detail, should site research articles n stuff if you bother reading it
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=50628

lyle is internet nutrition guru of the moment, note he says 15 caps for controlling srs inflamation. obesity is SRS inflamation
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/qa-2.html

general it's good for you article
http://health.msn.com/nutrition/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100245164&gt1=31036

important not to confuse fish oil with omega 3. a tesco capsule has 1g of fish oil with 0.3g omega 3.

you shouldn't take too much cod liver oil as it contains vitamin A and you can overdose on that

byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 06, 2009, 12:03:49 PM »

from that thread that noones gonna bother reading

After listening to wolf's advice I increased my dosage to 6-8grams per day and all of a sudden now my shoulders don't bother me anymore. They were in a LOT of pain.

rob wolfe is the crossfit nutrition guy, ex cancer researcher, he has a blog if you wanna google it.

i take between 10-15 a day haven't died yet, even when i cut myself shaving!

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 12:06:07 PM by byronkincaid » Logged
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #441 on: October 06, 2009, 12:06:46 PM »

I don't see any controlled scientific trials from those links that show the efficacy of cod-liver oil, or differing amounts of the stuff, over say a placebo.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 06, 2009, 12:10:50 PM »

I don't see any controlled scientific trials from those links that show the efficacy of cod-liver oil, or differing amounts of the stuff, over say a placebo.

i'm not talking about cod liver oil Huh?

you must read quick, these guys sell suppliments but site 9 research articles at bottom of page

http://www.tmuscle.com/readArticle.do?id=1651364
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 06, 2009, 12:15:45 PM »

this guy is well respected

http://www.alanaragon.com/fish-oil.html

sites research

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 06, 2009, 12:16:08 PM »

i'm not talking about cod liver oil Huh?

you must read quick, these guys sell suppliments but site 9 research articles at bottom of page

http://www.tmuscle.com/readArticle.do?id=1651364

It also provides a very handy link to the authors weight loss plan.

Weird how the "Medical Disclaimer" link on that reads

Not Found

The requested URL /medical.htm was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #445 on: October 06, 2009, 12:21:37 PM »

OK, I'd like to read some of those 'trials' and see how relevant and scientific they are.  For example, some are completely irrelevant to what you were talking about.  One is about the "Effects of eicosapentaenoic acid on major coronary events in hypercholesterolaemic patients" - what has that got to do with taking fish oils to aid with sports injuries/arthritis/prevention of heart disease?

A lot of what's written on that page is pseudo-science used in order to sell a product. 

Fish-oil MIGHT be beneficial in a number of areas.  It might not be.  A self-styled nutritionist guru like Gillian Mckeith isn't where I'd like to take my advice from.

Antioxidants are meant to help people live longer.  In properly conducted scientific trials, there was actually evidence that those on antioxidants were actually dying from heart disease at a younger age than those on the placebo.  Taking loads of vitamin C is meant to ward off colds and other ailments - based on what?  The fact that a deficiency in vitamin C can cause issues and therefore by extending the logic taking loads must be really good for you?

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 06, 2009, 12:23:30 PM »

this guy is well respected

http://www.alanaragon.com/fish-oil.html

cites research

That does look like a balanced and well researched article with good sources.

It doesn't say anything about joint or muscle pain though, it mainly talks about fat.

And the primary conclusions are

The amount of EPA/DHA per capsule may vary with the brand. Capsules can contain anywhere from 250-500mg. Most healthy folks don’t need more than 3-6 capsules per day to meet or exceed the amounts that show benefits.

Looking at the body of evidence as a whole, fish oil (or increased fish consumption) has great potential for improving cardiovascular health. But for reducing body fat, the effects are minor to nonexistent.

I'm less cynical than Kinboshi, I don't really have any complaints about those findings.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #447 on: October 06, 2009, 12:26:33 PM »

I'm very cynical...about everything.

I'd like to see one, just one, trial on fish-oils that shows the direct affect on an improvement on cardiovascular health.  That second quote says "great potential".  Doesn't that mean the studies/trials/experiments didn't show anything?

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 06, 2009, 12:28:52 PM »

Probably works though.

Have you ever seen a fat fish?

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 06, 2009, 12:29:28 PM »

OK, I'd like to read some of those 'trials' and see how relevant and scientific they are.  For example, some are completely irrelevant to what you were talking about.  One is about the "Effects of eicosapentaenoic acid on major coronary events in hypercholesterolaemic patients" - what has that got to do with taking fish oils to aid with sports injuries/arthritis/prevention of heart disease?

A lot of what's written on that page is pseudo-science used in order to sell a product. 

Fish-oil MIGHT be beneficial in a number of areas.  It might not be.  A self-styled nutritionist guru like Gillian Mckeith isn't where I'd like to take my advice from.

Antioxidants are meant to help people live longer.  In properly conducted scientific trials, there was actually evidence that those on antioxidants were actually dying from heart disease at a younger age than those on the placebo.  Taking loads of vitamin C is meant to ward off colds and other ailments - based on what?  The fact that a deficiency in vitamin C can cause issues and therefore by extending the logic taking loads must be really good for you?

you keep bringing stuff up that I am not talking about to try to prove your point, I have not mentioned vit C or antioxidants, it was prob a mistake to link a tnation article but I did say that they sell the stuff

woteva

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 ... 98 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: