blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:28:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Best of blonde
| | | |-+  In the Well with JP Kelly
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In the Well with JP Kelly  (Read 73022 times)
Boba Fett
Doctor of Thugonomics

Pain is Temporary!

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 15, 2009, 12:49:47 PM »

What would you say is optimal Kalooki strategy?

Ya gotta crawl before ya ball!
G1BTW

Yes that really is me

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 15, 2009, 01:17:06 PM »

What would you say is optimal Kalooki strategy?
Draw at the beginning
Wear a Steve Davis cap
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: August 15, 2009, 05:30:48 PM »

REPOST:

How do your online and live 3 betting ranges differ with regards to position?

Ta.
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 18, 2009, 03:34:28 PM »

Hello JP - thank you for the responses so far!

My question is rubbish but if you answer it I will send 5 on stars...

If you started now with the same ability you had when you actually started do you think you would make it or quit because the games have got so tough?

Thank you in advance, pls post your stars user name for the big payday!!

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 18, 2009, 03:52:34 PM »

If you started now with the same ability you had when you actually started do you think you would make it or quit because the games have got so tough?

Great question Sov.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 18, 2009, 06:23:00 PM »

Great question Sov.

ty

JP

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 19, 2009, 07:21:37 AM »

Hey, sorry been out of commission for a couple of days had a deep run in the FTOPS $2500 but came up short in 29th. I had a mammoth cash session as well where I played for what seemed like 24 hours virtually non stop.

So, first of all thank you very much to my friend Ian 'xpressman' Needleman for a really nice post so I will answer some of his questions to begin with.

I'm normally very relaxed when I play as you probably know regardless of the buy in and line up. Of course I still get nervous from time to time but I would call it more of an excitement like last year before the main event I proabably slept about 1 hour total was it nerves or excitement or maybe both!?!? I finished the day as one of the chip leaders so it obviously didn't affect me overall. I think when I play I become wrapped up in the tournament i'm involved in especially when I go deep and am already thinking ahead to who I think will blow up/ could be a threat and what my image is to the rest of the table etc. Maybe try not  to look around so much at the room and focus in on YOUR table and how you are gonna navigate your way through it. Also, just because it is a bigger buy in doesn't always mean there are better players, they might just be richer with more money to burn.

I think good amateurs can definitely step up and do well that is the beauty of poker. Overall though, like anything, the people who dedicate the more time and effort will for sure have more of an advantage and hanging out with other players as well is another plus factor in improving and staying ahead of the game.  But if poker is a serious hobby and you can't dedicate as much time to it then just try to play as well as you can when you do get the chance to play and have as much fun as possible.

With regards to kalooki I love that game! But i'm always getting bashed up whenever I play so don't come to me for any tips or advice! Tips....try not to leave yourself 5 or 2 cards as it is harder to win the game unless deep and trying to minimise points. But like I said I always lose at that so don't listen too much to me!

JP

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 19, 2009, 07:46:50 AM »

Good question sovietsong......

This is my opinion of poker overall, the vast majority of players over estimate their skill level on the whole. Instead of working out where they are going wrong they blame external factors and anything but their own play. I also think that like any activity or sport there are just going to be naturally better players and those who stumble across poker and take a bit of time to get good at the game will have a head start over others no matter where in the timeline they come in. There are also players who maybe realise their weaknesses and work hard to plug those leaks that aren't naturally as good but they know how to beat the game and have big success with that style. I think a lot just try and play like everybody else and say everything is "standard" when it isn't.

So i kinda rambled on there but my point in answering this question is I probably wouldn't have given up playing if I started later but you never know. I was intrigued by poker when I first started playing and has become an obsession of mine since I was 16-17. I am always re-evaluating my game and being honest with myself. I am always the first person to say when I play a poor hand or do something stupid. I also know my strengths and weaknesses quite well. When I returned to play online more seriously after my live success my game was horrible but I took the time and effort to see where i was going wrong and didn't just say "I can't win online" and stick to live. Also, I was losing a lot of money playing big stakes PLO so I didn't just stay there I quit PLO for 6 months grinded NLH and tourneys and then re entered PLO when the time was right and it is my main game now.
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 19, 2009, 07:54:35 AM »

Tyvm!

thetank

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 19, 2009, 07:59:33 AM »

Now a quality well

Top stuff JP

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 19, 2009, 08:04:25 AM »

This is my opinion of poker overall, the vast majority of players over estimate their skill level on the whole. Instead of working out where they are going wrong they blame external factors and anything but their own play. I also think that like any activity or sport there are just going to be naturally better players and those who stumble across poker and take a bit of time to get good at the game will have a head start over others no matter where in the timeline they come in. There are also players who maybe realise their weaknesses and work hard to plug those leaks that aren't naturally as good but they know how to beat the game and have big success with that style. I think a lot just try and play like everybody else and say everything is "standard" when it isn't.

So i kinda rambled on there but my point in answering this question is I probably wouldn't have given up playing if I started later but you never know. I was intrigued by poker when I first started playing and has become an obsession of mine since I was 16-17. I am always re-evaluating my game and being honest with myself. I am always the first person to say when I play a poor hand or do something stupid. I also know my strengths and weaknesses quite well. When I returned to play online more seriously after my live success my game was horrible but I took the time and effort to see where i was going wrong and didn't just say "I can't win online" and stick to live. Also, I was losing a lot of money playing big stakes PLO so I didn't just stay there I quit PLO for 6 months grinded NLH and tourneys and then re entered PLO when the time was right and it is my main game now.

Hi JP

Congrats on the win 1st wpwp

Following on from this then what do you think is the best way to go about improving my own game and analysing my weaknesses to plug those leaks.Do you using tracking software i currently use Holdem Manager but only really look back to take notes on opponents,i intend to also start analysing the way i play hands but apart from that do you have any other advice.Thanks
JP

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 19, 2009, 09:43:11 AM »

Well I actually just got hold'em manager yesterday so i've yet to see how good it is but i have used poker tracker a lot and am familiar with that. I'm not really a stats player but more of a feel player so i'm prob not the most qualified to advise on stats and how to interpret them and use them. I would say use poker training sites like cardrunners, things can be so simple that you are doing wrong like i watched one last week and knew i'd been playing too many hands especially out of position which in PLO, position is so huge.

Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 19, 2009, 11:19:58 AM »

Brilliant post sir,

Geo

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 19, 2009, 11:49:47 AM »

Well I actually just got hold'em manager yesterday so i've yet to see how good it is but i have used poker tracker a lot and am familiar with that. I'm not really a stats player but more of a feel player so i'm prob not the most qualified to advise on stats and how to interpret them and use them. I would say use poker training sites like cardrunners, things can be so simple that you are doing wrong like i watched one last week and knew i'd been playing too many hands especially out of position which in PLO, position is so huge.

Thanks for the quick response,holdem manager is the only tracker i've used but it's pretty immense imo.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 20, 2009, 04:13:38 PM »

JP begins the APAT Macau tomorrow, good luck in that sir

I would like to thank him for doing the well from afar given his time constraints. Cheers

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: