blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:08:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  What in your opinion is the correct strategy in this hand....... POLL
Poll
Question: What in your opinion is the correct strategy in this hand....... POLL  (Voting closed: December 11, 2005, 01:19:06 PM)
Fold - 1 (1.7%)
Make a standard raise with the intention of passing to a re-raise - 11 (18.3%)
Make a standard raise with the intention of calling a reraise - 21 (35%)
Move All-In - 26 (43.3%)
Phone a friend / Other (please state) - 1 (1.7%)
Total Voters: 59

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What in your opinion is the correct strategy in this hand....... POLL  (Read 11568 times)
Junior Senior

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2005, 01:19:06 PM »

Haven't done one of these before so please be patient with me.  This is the situation....

You are average chips at the final table (35,000) of a MTT, the blinds are 1200/2400 but are about to move to 1800/3600 within the next minute.  Nearly all the stacks are even with 6 out of the 9 being on 35,000 or thereabouts.  One guy barely has enough for the next BB and will be all-in next hand.  There is a huge chip leader with 120,000 and one guy to your left with about 55,000 (2nd in chips).  The payout structure is such that 9th-7th are not much different and i feel that top 3 is decent money for the outlay (fairly top heavy as always)

The action passes around to you 2 seats from the button with the biggest stack and the lowest stack already folded.  You have JJ, whats your move?

This was a situation i encountered about 10 minutes ago - i am now out of the comp and want to know if i played it correctly.

thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 01:56:33 PM by Junior » Logged
Wardonkey
No ordinary donkey!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 01:25:45 PM »

I've voted for calling the re-raise, but that is in the absence of any info on the re-raiser. If he's a tight player who is unlikely to be making a move on me then I pass. Moving in is also a valid option here I think.

EEEEEEEEEE-AAAAAAAAWWWWW
ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 01:30:16 PM »

As JJ has such a terrible history for me i never know what to do!!, seeing a flop with them is very difficult after raising.
You don't give the option of calling then calling a raise?
I would try that in this situation as i just can't lay down JJ to a reraise!! (this would be cheaper).
So for me it's flat call, call a raise then bin it to a raise on the flop.

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 01:30:38 PM »

I'm content to just pick up the blinds with JJ. I move all-in and make sure I show if they all pass.
If my stack were less than 5 times big blind, I'd play it a little slower, gambling for a double up.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 01:33:50 PM »

Bah hambug, flat call did you say? Give the blinds the option of a free flop with K2o. Brrrrrrrr

Is that a joke?

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 01:34:21 PM »

I think you have to raise, standard play. Flat calling IMHO is horrible here

If you have to pass to a re-raise from a tight player so be it.

You still have time. Chances are (although obviously not in this instance, Junior's out!) you pick up the blinds, which is an acceptable outcome

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
ukpokerinfo

ukpokerinfo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 01:35:28 PM »

I would move all in and show them my hand should they fold.

The way you played 10-8 os at the Midlands Masters, Junior, im sure you would know how to play this better ;-)
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 01:48:17 PM »

Next hand we have 10 times big blind or thereabouts.

We don't have the kind of stack that we have the luxury of being able to pass to a re-raise and our hand is far too good/ prize structure too top heavy for doing that.

I understand we may not want too much action with jacks in a tournament, if that's the case, then it's all-in. If you want more gamble then a 'come over the top of me' raise is ok too.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 01:52:25 PM »

Yes but 10x BB is enough at this stage.

With his chips you have two moves...a standard raise now and then if you lose than pot/have to pass to a re-raise then the next raise becomes an all in

IMHO People panic too early...why put mit all on the line here? you may be able to pick up the blinds here without being risked by being called all in by AA,AK,KK,QQ etc (which is clearly what happened)

My eyes are open wide
Highstack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 01:58:55 PM »

I voted for all in but I think fold is a close second. Anything else not an option. You are not passing this to a preflop reraise and seeing a flop could bring all kinds of horrors. Make your opponents make the decision as to whether they want to gamble their tournament life. They are most likely folding two over cards (depending on your table image) and that includes AK. If you walk into AA KK QQ well that happens occasionally but the odds are that you are in front.

thetank

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 02:00:41 PM »

Only 4 players yet to act.

18-1 ish that one of them will have QQ,KK,AA. This is an acceptable risk in my opinion.
If you raise, you make AK,AQ have a very easy desicion, if you go all-in, it's tougher for them.

Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 02:01:43 PM »

ok then additional info. -

Of the 4 players left to act after me I have only knowledge of two of them as the rest came from the other table.  I know one to be very solid and likely not to make a 'move' without the goods so is probably gonna wait out and try to ladder and the other is a 'gambler' - he is only playing for top 2 positions and would re-raise with muck.

hope that helps
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 02:02:52 PM »

I would move all in and show them my hand should they fold.

The way you played 10-8 os at the Midlands Masters, Junior, im sure you would know how to play this better ;-)

who are you? and how dare cast aspersions on my character?! - i fold 10-8 everytime  Cheesy

p.s. i really don't know what your talking about - enlighten me.
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 02:03:45 PM »

As JJ has such a terrible history for me i never know what to do!!, seeing a flop with them is very difficult after raising.
You don't give the option of calling then calling a raise?
I would try that in this situation as i just can't lay down JJ to a reraise!! (this would be cheaper).

ifm - please vote other and i have noted your idea.
thanks
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 02:05:12 PM »

would re-raise with muck.

so you go all in or you make a standard raise for him to move over the top then you go all in and be ahead when the cards get turned over

I still like the standard raise!

My eyes are open wide
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: