blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:58:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  World Heads Up Championships at the Vic
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World Heads Up Championships at the Vic  (Read 18778 times)
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »

I like what Ironside has said in this thread. The punctuation and grammer could have been better but w/e. I would say that if you want to make any event successful you should appeal to as broad a range of your customers as possible. If you limit the appeal to sponsored pros or youngun hopefuls you're thinning your customer base considerably and will consequently attract fewer people. I agree that these are the only ones who will appreciate the value of paying for their own exposure. Generally poker players are shrewd bastards so like to find value where they can and if those players don't see the value in an event that's a problem, regardless how hard people have worked.

wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2009, 07:57:53 PM »

I like what Ironside has said in this thread. The punctuation and grammer could have been better but w/e. I would say that if you want to make any event successful you should appeal to as broad a range of your customers as possible. If you limit the appeal to sponsored pros or youngun hopefuls you're thinning your customer base considerably and will consequently attract fewer people. I agree that these are the only ones who will appreciate the value of paying for their own exposure. Generally poker players are shrewd bastards so like to find value where they can and if those players don't see the value in an event that's a problem, regardless how hard people have worked.

It's grammar btw

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Jamier-Host

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2009, 04:22:34 PM »

We have a very limited sponsorship deal which almost covers our TV costs. We have added some of our own monies to cover staging and promoting the event in an effort to establish it in the UK .We have been honest and told all concerned that we cannot fully cover all these costs and have withheld 3% to help with the webcast etc, which we thought was a good idea for publicity for both the players involved and the event itself. It is not an ideal  answer to our problem but it allows us to go ahead with the event for 2009.

Forgive me if i should know this already, but who is "we" in the above quote?  Is that pokerineurope.com?

So to summarise, the upheaval of moving the event and the poor numbers last year affected the sponsorship revenue for the event?  Therefore in order to televise it and build a foundation for the future success of the event, you are running it at a small loss to the business this year?

The trouble with that is it feels a bit like the players are helping to invest in the future revenues of the event (i.e converting a big loss this year into a small one).  Would it be foolish to ask whether the fees will be reduced/waived in future years if the event is a big success and you can secure a much bigger sponsorship deal next year?  Or perhaps a nice chunk of added value?

I thought the old events in Barcelona were great and would like to see this former favourite on the calendar return to former glories.  There should certainly be plenty of players in London over the next few weeks to give it a good chance, regardless of the negativity surrounding the fees etc.

Side Project - making games for Amazon Alexa devices

pressthe8.com
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2009, 04:40:39 PM »

blonde17 no longer answering?

@GreekStein on twitter.

The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2009, 10:50:37 PM »

I have been reliably informed the 3% surcharge has been dropped.

Well done to all the movers and shakers at WHU who have actually listened to the concerns of the players and acted on them.

Hopefully I will be able to play in this now.. maybe a staking forum post is in order....

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2009, 11:25:57 PM »

Well done to all the movers and shakers at WHU who have actually listened to the concerns of the players and acted on them.

Hopefully I will be able to play in this now.. maybe a staking forum post is in order....

lol....could be snapped up quicker than a APAT clickfest Cheesy
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2009, 11:58:51 PM »

Was my rant on the radio show about it that did it obv!

@GreekStein on twitter.

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2009, 09:40:33 AM »

Was my rant on the radio show about it that did it obv!

I started this thread, therefore I am the unlikely hero in this story, pints of Guinness payable at the IPO next week, cheers
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2009, 09:47:42 AM »

blonde will now be hosting a live feed from this event on the forum

Live update wise the offer is there, and I might do the first day but beyond that am unavailable

Any volunteers (sadly, volunteers its not a paid gig at this stage) in the London area over that weekend, let me know

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
JonShoreman

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2009, 01:13:28 PM »

After listening to various opinions we have decided to remove the 3% fee.

Jon Shoreman
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2009, 01:20:50 PM »

nice one
blonde17

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2009, 10:50:36 AM »

Just to keep everyone informed, the draw for the first round matches will take place Tuesday morning 27th Oct ahead of the start of the tournament. Following requests from several players who are travelling back from various tournaments to attend, entries will also be open (unless we have already reached the 128max) until the draw takes place.
UpTheMariners

We Only Sing When We're Fishing

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2009, 01:25:09 PM »

anyone know if there is many satellite winners in this?

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2009, 01:27:23 PM »

still waiting to get a slice

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2009, 02:18:55 PM »

anyone know if there is many satellite winners in this?

littlewoods held two qualifers....99% sure only one qualifer from each.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: