blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:27:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272483 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  World Heads Up Championships at the Vic
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World Heads Up Championships at the Vic  (Read 18797 times)
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2009, 02:21:01 PM »

I'm sure that the places that the £50 voucher can be redeemed at will also accept actual money.

The Vic, The Vic and The Vic?

Would be my guess. It's the only way it isn't pointless.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2009, 02:34:29 PM »

Also, if you bust in round 1 and leave how are you going to spend whats left on your £50 voucher?

As an aside, whenever I've been to the Vic I rarely eat there unless the game is too juicy to get up from as the food is very average and overpriced.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2009, 02:39:20 PM »

Also, if you bust in round 1 and leave how are you going to spend whats left on your £50 voucher?

As an aside, whenever I've been to the Vic I rarely eat there unless the game is too juicy to get up from as the food is very average and overpriced.

agreed

having a condition of entry to a tourney that you've got to spend £50 on shit food is proper lol

make it argos vouchers imo and then everyone can get something they need from the shop downstairs

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2009, 02:49:12 PM »

I think Pete probably meant that players get a buffet ticket every day, like in most festivals, rather than a food gift voucher (lol if Im wrong)

£50 isnt bad at all for food, its a seven day event and the previous events where I have been privy to the running costs were about £7 a head a day, so in that respect its pretty standard. Obviously in this instance, the issue is that the field decreases at such a fast rate that very few people actually get the usage out of the fee. There is probably about 2 or 3 grand that wont be claimed for from the day 1 exits right off the bat (When did I start saying 'right off the bat'? - I work with too many yanks), maybe about 4 or 5 grand overall. This is assuming of course a full house and that players dont stay in London for a week to redeem their grub voucher.

Do players in any of the side events get a food allowance/buffet?

This surely isnt that different to other tournaments is it? Look at the WSOPE last week, 300 runners each day 1 and about 50 come back for day 2, Im guessing the bust outs on the day 1s will have technically paid for some of the food in day 2. The only difference here is that the organisers chose to mention it as a separate part of the reg fee, rather than having the fee as an all encompassing charge for all the costs of the festival.

Whats on the menu btw?

« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 02:52:56 PM by DaveShoelace » Logged
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2009, 04:16:29 PM »

knowing how selective pete is in his tournaments, there is no way on god's green earth that he would pay the reg fees for this tourney, but here he comes on defending them.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2009, 04:32:56 PM »

even  if i could afford to play this i wouldnt
1 i rarely eat buffets i would rather buy my own food seeing as i am very picky over food
2 i would rather not pay for the camera dont really care about being on the tele and wouldnt pay to be on the tele my name aint industrable

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2009, 04:40:38 PM »

I would have loved to play this tournament.

Heads up is my favourite form of poker and I'd like to think I'm pretty good at it.

But the idea that the players have to contribute towards the televsion coverage is beyond a joke.

This is such a dangerous path for poker to go down, I urge everyone to boycott this event.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2009, 04:40:49 PM »

even  if i could afford to play this i wouldnt
1 i rarely eat buffets i would rather buy my own food seeing as i am very picky over food
2 i would rather not pay for the camera dont really care about being on the tele and wouldnt pay to be on the tele my name aint industrable

Proberly not.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
blonde17

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2009, 05:35:54 PM »

Heads up is my favourite form of poker and I'd like to think I'm pretty good at it.

But the idea that the players have to contribute towards the television coverage is beyond a joke.

This is such a dangerous path for poker to go down, I urge everyone to boycott this event.

I think you may have misunderstood the reasoning here Keith.
We have a very limited sponsorship deal which almost covers our TV costs. We have added some of our own monies to cover staging and promoting the event in an effort to establish it in the UK .We have been honest and told all concerned that we cannot fully cover all these costs and have withheld 3% to help with the webcast etc, which we thought was a good idea for publicity for both the players involved and the event itself. It is not an ideal  answer to our problem but it allows us to go ahead with the event for 2009.
To be perfectly honest  I have put a lot of effort into trying to get this off the ground this year in the UK and hoped that most people would see the logic and sense behind the plan. I have always tried to get the best deal for all players in this event (please feel free to ask those that have played previously) but seeing some of the comments on this forum with regard to this does make me wonder a little. Of course peoples views are just that , however continualy slagging this off is not really very helpful and really won`t further the future of poker in the UK.

Pete Singleton.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2009, 05:39:47 PM »

But the idea that the players have to contribute towards the television coverage is beyond a joke.

I think you may have misunderstood the reasoning here Keith.
We have a very limited sponsorship deal which almost covers our TV costs. We have added some of our own monies to cover staging and promoting the event in an effort to establish it in the UK .We have been honest and told all concerned that we cannot fully cover all these costs and have withheld 3% to help with the webcast etc, which we thought was a good idea for publicity for both the players involved and the event itself. It is not an ideal  answer to our problem but it allows us to go ahead with the event for 2009.
To be perfectly honest  I have put a lot of effort into trying to get this off the ground this year in the UK and hoped that most people would see the logic and sense behind the plan. I have always tried to get the best deal for all players in this event (please feel free to ask those that have played previously) but seeing some of the comments on this forum with regard to this does make me wonder a little. Of course peoples views are just that , however continualy slagging this off is not really very helpful and really won`t further the future of poker in the UK.

Pete Singleton.

I think we all appreciate your sentiment, it's just not right for most players really. With all the TV tournaments etc these days it's unlikely players are truly likely to benefit from paying this extra 3% for publicity etc. I think that's something the tournament will benefit from but I just don't agree with it.

gl though

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2009, 05:56:32 PM »

pete

i aint slagging you or the comp off just saying although the format of HU apeals to me the fact they are making me pay for food i wouldnt eat and TV coverage i really dont care about, i am not a name and my results aint good enough so will never get a sponsorhip deal and not looking for one so really have no concerns with getting the event on the tv
if there was the same event next door without the tv and the food and without those costs i would play the onw next door

paying for tv time is what sponsors should be doing or tv companies
not the people taking part who really dont give a damm either way

George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2009, 06:06:37 PM »

pete

i aint slagging you or the comp off just saying although the format of HU apeals to me the fact they are making me pay for food i wouldnt eat and TV coverage i really dont care about, i am not a name and my results aint good enough so will never get a sponsorhip deal and not looking for one so really have no concerns with getting the event on the tv
if there was the same event next door without the tv and the food and without those costs i would play the onw next door

paying for tv time is what sponsors should be doing or tv companies
not the people taking part who really dont give a damm either way

Think saying players not giving a damn about TV is a bit naive.

It'll be multai's and sponsers playing the event anyway

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2009, 06:18:50 PM »

the last statement is porberaly bad gramma

i mean those playing who dont give a damm either way
obviously those trying to get a deal or with a deal want the exposure and wont mind paying
but those playing out of there own pocket not looking for a deal will be turned off

even if i was good at poker and had a good personailty and carsima i wouldnt play the full curcuit needed for a sponsorship for health reasons
so if i won this event what benifit would i get from paying the 3% apart from exposing my game and my name and making people realise i aint the fish i portray to be and had cost be thousands exposing

mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2009, 06:21:37 PM »

Get rid off the webcast not many players would be disappointed about that i would imagine.Don't put food on people may whinge but since they can buy food at the venue or many other places close by i would imagine, they'll not be that fussed.Then you won't have to charge ridic fees.This seems a lot more beneficial to the tourney provider than it does to the player.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »

withheld 3% to help with the webcast etc,

It costs £90 a head?

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: