blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:30:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272622 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Greekstein's Legends of Poker
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Greekstein's Legends of Poker  (Read 59238 times)
riverdave

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 09, 2009, 09:06:45 PM »

Deemed inappropriate by who? The information wasn't inappropriate when it was posted before and partly by one of your major shareholders.

I ran my post and link past the OP before i posted.

Next time, if in doubt, run it past the mods.

I've had a lot of posts deleted recently some maybe deservedly others i disagree but meh whatever i haven't made a fuss. This set however is ridiculous. There has been some very strange concepts of the rights and wrongs on various threads lately.
Good luck there being a next time.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 09:12:58 PM by riverdave » Logged
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 10, 2009, 12:15:06 AM »

Deemed inappropriate by who? The information wasn't inappropriate when it was posted before and partly by one of your major shareholders.

I ran my post and link past the OP before i posted.

Next time, if in doubt, run it past the mods.

I've had a lot of posts deleted recently some maybe deservedly others i disagree but meh whatever i haven't made a fuss. This set however is ridiculous. There has been some very strange concepts of the rights and wrongs on various threads lately.
Good luck there being a next time.

Dave I asked for it to be removed along with some other stuff. I thought it was just in jest yday.

Will explain a bit more on msn tomorrow.

In the meantime drop it pls.

tyty

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 23, 2009, 12:08:49 PM »

The legends of poker took a short break but is now back for its final few weeks.

This weeks legend is not known very well to me. In fact, I only shared a table with him for the first time this weekend but I'm pretty sure he still gains legendary status amongst most. He's so much of a legend that it's even in his nickname.

Click to see full-size image.

Taken from Wikipedia....

Michael (Mickey) D. Wernick (born 2 July 1944 in Wolverhampton) is an English retired bookmaker and professional poker player from Birmingham.

Whilst growing up, Wernick was a keen amateur boxer and won the Midlands Area Amateur title. He has also met Sugar Ray Robinson and Mohammed Ali.

Wernick formed a poker club in 1970 with his father Solly. He was a mainstay of the British poker scene, who eventually began traveling to the World Series of Poker. He has since cashed on 6 occasions, in no limit hold'em, razz and lowball events. In the 1986 WSOP he finished 2nd in an Omaha event. (1)

Wernick made the quarter-finals of the 2003 World Heads-Up Poker Championship, losing to eventual winner "Miami" John Cernuto.

Wernick was ranked the #1 player across all poker variants in Europe for 2005 (1). This led to his induction into Bruce "Elvis Senior" Atkinson's European Poker Players Hall of Fame as its 8th inductee, making him the oldest inductee to date.

Wernick finished on the television bubble of the European Poker Tour event in Deauville.

As of 2008, his total live tournament winnings exceed $860,000.[1]

Finally a Youtube interview with the man himself, being given sympathy by a blonde hero....

Pls post your Mickey Stories.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 23, 2009, 03:22:01 PM »

I've known the legend for 20+ years now. Four words come to mind.

Nice bloke, serial nipper.

Smiley

Ah! The element of surprise
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 23, 2009, 03:30:56 PM »

Smiley

Depends on meaning of "nipper" really - to my knowledge, he always pays back. He's borrowed off me a few times, but always paid back, with a bit on top, too. Thats not a nipper in my book.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 23, 2009, 03:31:50 PM »

LoL ,this thread could have more pages than TK's diary now.
All in all a good bloke  Wink

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: December 23, 2009, 03:31:52 PM »

Smiley

Depends on meaning of "nipper" really - to my knowledge, he always pays back. He's borrowed off me a few times, but always paid back, with a bit on top, too. Thats not a nipper in my book.

nipper means someone who loves to borrow as far as i know

grimmer is someone who doesnt pay back

HI HELEN!
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 23, 2009, 03:32:49 PM »

Smiley

+1

Ah! The element of surprise
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 23, 2009, 03:33:41 PM »

Smiley

On reflection, yes, I agree. There's a fine line between the two at times.

Somehow, I don't see any of the resident blonde Grimmers making it into Cos's series, tongue-in-cheek or not.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 23, 2009, 03:38:22 PM »

What I will say about Mickey is when hes holding money ,hes anything but tight.

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 23, 2009, 03:40:20 PM »

I like Mickey. Don't know a lot about the nipping/borrowing but I do know he's unfailingly polite and has shown blonde some unexpected kindnesses.

Back in 2007, I think it was 2007, Mickey was in great form and playing every ranking event under the sun in his attempt to win the Player of the Year which was then sponsored by Mansion and came with a £20,000 prize. blonde's updates followed Mickey and Pascal Perrault, with whom Mickey was battling for the POTY crown, to every event, it of course being a time when blonde was updating everything it could.

The POTY chase came down to the Luton Christmas Cracker, old Luton, and I was updating it. This was pre GUKPT so regional festivals were the live games of the day and anybody who was everybody on the circuit was turning up to play it

In the main event both Mickey and Pascal made the final two tables and it was tense. In the end Mickey won the event, and Player of the Year and left the blonde updaters a tip for "a drink", way beyond the amount needed to buy a drink.

I remember that event fondly.

In 2009, as far as I am aware Mickey's form has been dreadful and his mood "darker". You can see the pressure on his face at events.

In the year he won the Player of the Year though, his form was good but his play (including some incredible passes that not many players make) was right up there.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 23, 2009, 03:43:21 PM »

Mickey Wernick IS a legend ...

Vegas when Lawrence Gosney won his bracelet ... we were having a celebration in the round bar at the Rio and Mickey generously offers to get the cigars in .... 5 mins later there are about 10 of us smoking the biggest cigars ever, and Mickey picking up a massive bill !!

Also whenever Mickey scoops a live comp which is being updated, he ALWAYS drops the updaters a drink.

Top man Mickey Wernick.

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 23, 2009, 03:45:51 PM »

Vegas when Lawrence Gosney won his bracelet ... we were having a celebration in the round bar at the Rio and Mickey generously offers to get the cigars in .... 5 mins later there are about 10 of us smoking the biggest cigars ever, and Mickey picking up a massive bill !!

Also whenever Mickey scoops a live comp which is being updated, he ALWAYS drops the updaters a drink.
Top man Mickey Wernick.

As far as I recall, only Mickey & Thewy do that regularly.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: December 23, 2009, 04:07:56 PM »

Top man Mickey Wernick.

As far as I recall, only Mickey & Thewy do that regularly.

What?  Scoop live comps?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Dewi_cool

Dusk Till Dawn - It's like going home

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 23, 2009, 04:15:20 PM »

True Gent

The very last hand of the night goes to Dewi James, who finds ACES and talks Raymond O’Mahoney into calling his all-in preflop bet of 15k.  “If I had AQ, I’d call!” says Dewi.  Raymond calls holding pocket 66’s.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: