blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 02:09:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273128 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Short-stack threshold for shoving any two when folded to you on the button?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Short-stack threshold for shoving any two when folded to you on the button?  (Read 3629 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 02:28:50 PM »

I'm a nit, and I'd be shoving with ATC well before I'm down to 4BBs. I always like to look though first, not because I might change my mind before I shove the chips in, but because if I have two green cards I can be all smug knowing I'm going to win the hand.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 02:40:44 PM »

TitBeam on thread.

Please post something worthy of a banana dance.

Kthx

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 02:48:24 PM »

TitBeam on thread.

Please post something worthy of a banana dance.

Kthx

Dont shove and lose in a sat before you've made a seat, that's prob good advice.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 03:09:30 PM »

how can he know you push with a wide range when youve been blinded down to 3bbs?

The fact you have only 3 BB's probably means you have a really tight shoving range up to now or you wouldnt have got that low.

If it folds to me on the button and i have 10 bigs or less im struggling to not shove any two, the lower and dirtier the two the better.

Whilst mentally limbering-up for the post-bink "smell these nuts" celebration no doubt.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Bandito

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 04:38:58 PM »

Yep, fair comment, it's a fair rap.  Thanks everyone, you've convinced me that I'm a closet nit  ;o)  I'm gleefully shoving with 6,3 suited by the way.  Even nitty me recognises that for a powerhouse.  I'm talking about trash like 7,2 and 8,3 when there's more of a psychological barrier. 

I am talking about when we are on the final table and in the money, however, and whilst recognising that we should be playing to give ourselves the best chance of winning, I do wonder if the presence of similar sized stacks on the table ought not to make a difference?  Two double ups and we are chip leader.

Am I thinking about this wrongly saying I have no problem shoving with any two as a short stack when far from the money, but am less inclined to do so in the scenario described if folding means moving up a money spot when someone busts out on the next hand?  Twice I've reached the final table as the short stack and finished third and fourth by playing conservatively.  Granted shoving with any two might have yielded wins instead, but just as likely an earlier exit...

Confused.com
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 04:45:07 PM »

Twice I've reached the final table as the short stack and finished third and fourth by playing conservatively

2 is not generally considered as a decent sample size

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 04:47:08 PM »

Yeah I think you should be shoving 7 2 and 8 3 happily.

Chances are they both fold
If we get looked up by two overs we just need a bink.
If we get looked up by a big pair, then oops.

But its these spots that give you a chance to get back in the game.
Once your down to 3 bigs you need to get 2 or more double ups.

You should always be playing to win as in the long term this should win you more than laddering.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Bandito

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »

If we get looked up by a big pair, then oops.

You should always be playing to win as in the long term this should win you more than laddering.

Convinced.com!  Amen to this post.  Really appreciate the input and I now feel ready now to break free from my self-imposed shackles; I feel liberated; I'm a new man!  Look out future final tables cos no holds barred!  All future winnings dedicated to posters on this forum  Shocked)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 05:09:24 PM »

If we get looked up by a big pair, then oops[

Convinced.com!  Amen to this post.  Really appreciate the input and I now feel ready now to break free from my self-imposed shackles; I feel liberated; I'm a new man!  Look out future final tables cos no holds barred!  All future winnings dedicated to posters on this forum  Shocked)

QFT

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2009, 05:10:42 PM »

I am talking about when we are on the final table and in the money, however, and whilst recognising that we should be playing to give ourselves the best chance of winning, I do wonder if the presence of similar sized stacks on the table ought not to make a difference?  Two double ups and we are chip leader.

one last point even though you're already convinced. it's much easier to get those 2 double ups if you haven't just passed

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Bandito

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2009, 05:17:23 PM »

one last point even though you're already convinced. it's much easier to get those 2 double ups if you haven't just passed

Agreed.  It's just so obvious to me now!  And I described 6,3 suited as a powerhouse when compared to 7,2 off, but what difference are we actually talking about?  5-6% improved equity!
OMG, thanks everyone for removing the blindfolds; you've supplied me with the poker equivolent of the red pill in the Matrix!
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2009, 06:36:48 PM »

If a bad beat crippled me at the ft leaving me 3 bb's those chips would be in the middle next hand.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2009, 06:43:40 PM »

If a bad beat crippled me at the ft leaving me 3 bb's those chips would be in the middle next hand.

UTG with 52o? Personally I think there's also a threshold where you get so short that you can fold atc as you know you're being called and behind.

With a little bit of FE I agree it's atc but with none I can fold some hands.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2009, 06:51:03 PM »

UTG with 52o? Personally I think there's also a threshold where you get so short that you can fold atc as you know you're being called and behind.

With a little bit of FE I agree it's atc but with none I can fold some hands.

Agreed I am pretty sure folding the bottom 20-25% of your range is +ev, if not wider.
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2009, 07:19:56 PM »

If a bad beat crippled me to 3 bb's I would shove atc. Perhaps tilt? I would want the poker gods to shoot me like the sick crippled dog I am. It might be mathematically +EV to fold your bottom 25% but then again you've gotta consider the trade off in life minutes you waste nitting around with the other little stump stacks. How horrible. You could be in bed by the time you finally decide to push. After winning the push with 52o UTG I would then push my blind. After winning that one I would feel calmer. Then we can start busting the nits.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 07:21:46 PM by MANTIS01 » Logged

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: